Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Many buyers purchasing the new retina 15" MBP are reporting that Best Buy is indeed matching Apple's education discount ($200). On top of that they are giving a $150 gift card (compared to Apple's $100 itunes gift card) for back to school promotion.

Others have not had luck getting their store to offer the discount, for that reason I am going to post this picture (below) as proof. It's not mine, but figured I'd start a thread so people can take this picture in to their BB and show them the SKUs that can be entered to apply the discount.

If anyone does happen to get their purchase from BB with the discount, please see if you can spare the time to post a full image picture of just the receipt that others can benefit from. And remember to black out SN# , card#'s and the barcode.

UPDATE:

It seems as if many managers are still refusing to price match Apple's Education Discount.

First, try to get them to price match, because that is their POLICY. They price match any other store up to 30 days after purchase. Go to the Apple education website and show them the price listed. I would try not to even mention that it is a student "discount." Just show them the education website and the prices. The cart will not show the reduction being taken out. This is the best way to also get Best Buy to give you the back to school gift card. Make it seem like it's just the retail price Apple is selling it for. Print the page at home. They will most likely confirm it at the store by having you go to the website yourself, but you might get lucky and they might not. Managers will be very hesitant to apply two school related discount together, so just try to avoid the student reference at all costs (worked for me). Some managers and employees will of course pick up on it, but stay on course and continue.

Then give them this SKU: 5700826 for the $150 back to school gift card (not advertised, but it's in their system).

Many have succeeded in getting the managers to apply both, others haven't. Be persistent and POLITE, being rude can kill the deal. Unfortunately some managers will still be ******s, so if your still refused, try another BB or settle with just one of the discounts. Apple store is always an option as well.

AND make sure you show them the receipt (below). Print it out, instead of directing them to some forum. Nothing better than showing proof that other Best Buy's are offering it.

Update:

Tip From another member:
If you have 2 Best Buys where you live, and the first place is refusing to give the discounts, purchase it from them and then go to the other best buy and see if they'll price match/issue the gift card. They won't care as much because it's not their sale. (Several members have been successful at doing this)

Also there is a interesting thread running at the Best Buy forums, check it out: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/Apple-Education-Price-Match/td- p/531710

Helpful availability link for Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...mode&ci_src=11138&ref=39&CJPID=4169666&loc=01

UPDATE 6/23/12 !!!!!

I have been following this thread from day one when I created it, and from what I can tell, Best Buy has started an official back to school program. The program asks you to register with an .edu email address to get the coupons emailed to you. The coupon they email is only for $100 discount, and has the SKU for the Retina models now added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...12+HUG20120618
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/C...at276200050000

Secondly, I was at BB the other day and asked whether they were still doing the $150 back to school program. I gave the customer service rep the SKU and he stated it was no longer valid even though I saw it pop up on the screen. So I really don't if they're lying or they are sticking to strict outlines BB corporate may have issued. I mentioned the receipt I had of other BB's doing it and he stated that I would have to speak to a manager but most likely it will be only be the price match.

Lastly, they still do the price match I mentioned above. So everyone should still be able to argue the price match of $200, but don't expect to get a gift card anymore. They might offer one or the other, but from the posts over these last 3-4 days on this thread, it looks like no one else has succeeding at getting both.

I'd say to still check your apple store to get the -$200 and $100 iTunes GC. If BB has one and you don't care for the $100 GC and you don't want to wait 3-4 weeks, then buy it. It looks like time has run out to get both the discount and GC. Obviously convincing managers is the only way around it, but I'm assuming they got a lot of corporate emails and phone calls and decided to start this college student deal program and end all hassle of managers and customers getting into arguments.

One more thing to note:

The $100 off Macbook Pro's is now an official coupon available to college students only and it has the sKU for the rMBP right on it. So if a BB rep says that all they can give you is $100, tell them you don't want to use the coupon, you want to use their price match policy. This should get them to drop $200 of the price....if manager still refuses, flip the finger and get out.

As much as I like BB's initial ddiscount and the fact that they hold MacBook Pro's, I effin hate their store.

(Image Credit) Member: jhuang

Good Luck!

attachment.php

Last edited:

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
if they have a 16gb version of that base model... I would be more then willing to try it.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Did they mention how much longer they would be doing the Back to School discount?

They should do it until september correct?

Now if only Amazon would price match lol

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Did they mention how much longer they would be doing the Back to School discount?

They should do it until september correct?

Now if only Amazon would price match lol

I would assume that it will go on until the end of summer.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Try BHPhotoVideo. They're doing a pretty good discount and also AppleCare for $122 and free parallels when you buy the Mac. On top of that, no tax besides NY :)

ctrlaltzor

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I got my base 15" RMBP today at 4PM from Best Buy (Metro Detroit MI).
Originally they told me they would not match the edu. discount, but did tell me they would give me a $150 gift card. I had reserved my RMBP over the phone and when I went to pick it up at customer service, I whined and pretty much instantly got them to manually take $50 off the price of the laptop so it matched the edu. discount. (Do you think if I went back and showed them this they'd take more off? lol probably not!)

After I left I was wondering if I could have probably finagled them into giving me the $200 off PLUS the gift card... dang! Oh well, I am a happy camper right now. :) The "extra" $50 in rewards zone cash to me is > than the $100 iTunes card, anyways!

Good luck on the hunt, everyone!

jhuang

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Here's mine! Having the picture of that receipt definitely helped (my SA had no idea about the $150 gc). She also didn't tell me about RewardZone so don't forget to sign up for that!

(Sorry for the terrible black bars.. haven't installed Photoshop yet!)

Attachments

• lunapic_133972612675540_9.jpg
    lunapic_133972612675540_9.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 9,254

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Here's mine! Having the picture of that receipt definitely helped (my SA had no idea about the $150 gc). She also didn't tell me about RewardZone so don't forget to sign up for that!

Awesome, thanks for the photo.

Just curious, what's the CA $6 recycle charge for

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
oh ya! Forgot about rewards zone.. thats an added plus..

Is this a corporate Best Buy thing or a store by store basis on the price match?

I was told by an employee it was based on a store by store basis and they didn't offer it. I went in and spoke to the apples sales rep at the BB. He assured me that they match Apples discount but was hesitant regarding the gift card. I showed him the picture above with the SKU and he said no problem. I got a pre-order in at my BB. So im still waiting.....

Be persistent and talk to the manager, they should offer it, especially if you bring in proof like the photo above

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks so much for this post and the pictures, I haven't got mine yet but I'm REALLY excited / optimistic about it now!!!!

----------

What is the number that comes after "Issue approval?" Is that something they might need? I'm assuming you blacked it out because the first person did :)

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Thanks so much for this post and the pictures, I haven't got mine yet but I'm REALLY excited / optimistic about it now!!!!

----------

What is the number that comes after "Issue approval?" Is that something they might need? I'm assuming you blacked it out because the first person did :)

Could be a manger/gift card approval code. I don't think you'll need it. Just ask them first, if they deny it, then just show them the receipt and SKUs.

----------

It's some CA tax on electronics.

Is that a flat rate, or based on price. Insane recycle tax CA has got going.
Luckily ill be trying to avoid all taxes by driving an hour away to new hampshire to get mine at Best Buy sometime this weekend when I can get assurance that they'll hold one for me.

0% tax in NH - $160 saved (-) $40 in gas = $120
I think its worth the drive.

jhuang

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010

It's totally bc the other person blacked it out :) I think it is manager approval, though - they had to call over a manager to override something (either edu discount or the GC, or both, not sure).

----------

Is that a flat rate, or based on price. Insane recycle tax CA has got going.
Luckily ill be trying to avoid all taxes by driving an hour away to new hampshire to get mine at Best Buy sometime this weekend when I can get assurance that they'll hold one for me.

0% tax in NH - $160 saved (-) $40 in gas = $120
I think its worth the drive.

I googled it and it depends on your screen size ($6 for screen sizes 5" to 15" or something - including iPads!). And yes, I considered driving to Oregon... then discovered it was like a 10-12 hour drive. Definitely worth it to not pay tax as long as you don't get audited! ;)

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
I totally forgot about this when I was purchasing my Macbook. You think there's a chance I could go back tomorrow and get these discounts?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I totally forgot about this when I was purchasing my Macbook. You think there's a chance I could go back tomorrow and get these discounts?

Definitely!! Happened with other members on this forum as well. Just take your receipt back and they should be able to credit it back to your card. I even heard one member where they were not able to issue the $150 gift card and decided to just credit it back to his card. So potentially you could get $350 straight back to your card.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
I am going to try this tomorrow. Except for the 13" Macbook Pro.

Has anyone had any success with the 13" What are we looking at $100 and a $150 giftcard? Anyone have receipt for a 13"?

Also, did they check your college id or just give it to you? I have mine but im just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.