BestBuy Not Selling As Many 3G iPhones...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Sep 13, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

as they had hoped. My neighbor's son works for BB and they received 90 3G iPhones with a nice mix of 8GB and 16 GB, but as of this evening his store has sold only 20 iPhones to date. Do you think the market is saturated? I wonder if BB will send out a press release to that effect?

2. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

They waited almost 2 months after the initial release to sell it. The Apple and AT&T stores have so many Im surprised they sold any.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I bet they're selling better in smaller towns and cities. If I were in SF, I'd buy at the Apple Store, not Best Buy!

If I didn't have an Apple Store or a corporate AT&T store, I'd go to Best Buy. ;)

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I agree they may have waited too long and since the current stock at the Apple Stores and AT&T are fully loaded. I was at the Emeryville (Bay Street) Apple Store on Friday (Sept. 12, 2008) and a ton of students buying the MB, MBA and MBP, iPod Touch, printer and the new Nano, but very few iPhones. Seemed to be a line of 3G iPhone owners needing tech support, even after the 2.1 firmware update...:eek:

6. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I don't think all that many people know they're available at Best Buy either. There's been no commercials letting people know, only a few Best Buy circulars. They will have to advertise a little more, or it's going to take a little longer for word to get out.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Well duhhhh lol

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I agree. I think Best Buy got in the game too late. On the other hand, it sure is nice to see them in the store. Not only do they sell the iPhones, I've noticed an increase in the accessory selection.

Personally for me it would have made no difference to buy an iPhone at Best Buy or the Apple store.

9. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Exactly, the problem though is that in most instances where there is a Best Buy there is usually an Apple or AT&T store. Now maybe if a store like Walmart carried it they could reach out into more of those areas.

I can't imagine why anyone would buy it from Best Buy. If I'm buying a product and have a choice of buying it from a store owned by the manufacturer, and there is no price difference or any other advantages I would go with buying directly from the manufacturer. Now where I can see them making some sales are the impulse buyers, someone walking through Best Buy and sees the Iphone and says "hey I've heard this iPhone thing is pretty neat I'll check it out"

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I know when I bought mine, I went to their mobile center or whatever it is called and the guy there looked bored. I asked him if they had any iPhones left and he said, "yep, but you have to get them at the customer service desk." So Before I got to the CS desk and some guy came up to me asking if I wanted an iPhone...I said yeah and asked how he knew. He said the guy at the mobile center let him know via some store intercom. They set me up in like 20 min.

The way they pounced on me (I'm not used to being asked what I want or being served properly...not at BB, at least), I got the idea that they may have had a subpar day with the iPhone.

Hell, I figured they'd have sold out, because I walked in like 30 min before closing on the first day of BB selling them. They had all these banners up and what looked to be where a long line should be...lol.

11. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Best Buy is the walmart of electronics. I bet they would sell more if their employees had a clue as to what they were selling.

Customer: "Hi, I'm looking for the new apple iphone?"

Best Buy Employee: "Oh, I dont work in that department"

Best Buy Employee: "Customer service to Computers...I repeat customer service to computers. They'll be right with you in a minute, Sir"

Best buy employee goes back to playing guitar hero III with his friends from high school

Best Buy Employee 2 " Hi there, how may I help you?"

Customer: "Hi, I'm looking for the new apple iphone?"

Best Buy Employee 2 "Oh...have you thought about the razor? its much better. You dont want the iphone. Its just a toy. Take it from me "Preston". this phone has all you want... custom ringtones, internet, voicemail. :cool:. could I interest you in our 2 year warranty for only $45.00? Would you like to put it on your Best Buy credit card? Are you a rewards cardholder member? "

Customer: "I ...I..don't know what to do? I just want apple's iphone"

Best Buy Employee 2 " Oh apple!!! My bad... I thought you said cell phone. you don't want apple. You want this E-machine 1600X.. 1 gb memory, integrated graphics, 20 GB hard drive all for only $1900. Trust me all the good stuff. We'll even set up your wireless graphics card to work seamlessly within our store. Could I interest you in our 2 year warranty for only $145.00? Would you like to put it on your Best Buy credit card? Are you a rewards cardholder member? Hold on let me get you someone who can further assist you with your purchase...Jill , Oh Jill!!"

Customer: "Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh....Just Uh Uh Uh Wanted Uhh Uhh Uh Iphone"

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

:D That's my point. It's kind of obvious that places where the OP lives aren't good barometers of how the iPhone is selling in Best Buy stores.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I'm not so close to an Apple store anymore. The better option for me was to go to BB. No matter where I buy, the phone still has Apple support, so it didn't really make sense for me to drive almost an hour there then back when I had a BB store like 10 min away. I still have the manufacturer warranty, regardless, and I didn't have to wait in some god-awful line like I always see at the Apple store...just for a phone.

14. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

That's always been my experience in a Best Buy as well, uneducated people trying to upsell everything. I'm sure there are a few good employee's but the bad far outweigh the good.

15. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

i use to love best buy , but now whenever I go in there. It seems like they are all ghetto with the same crap. Every store has the same inventory laid out almost exactly the same way. Music is blasting and all the yellow shirts look at you all suspiciously yet greet you with a shallow fake bizarre smile when you walk in. Its like the retail version of George W Bush's perfect eutopian society.

16. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I hope for their sake they put some thought into it and sent most of their iPhone to stores like the one near you. The ones that are near me are literally right across the street from either an Apple or AT&T store. I'm sure there are some locations where it will really create a great convenience for a few people.

17. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Yep.. Im sure not everyone is bad that works there, but I hate trying to deal with the kids that work there. I just want to choke "Chad" , "Kimberly" or "JT" with his sideways hat and teenage angst.

:D

18. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

there is a ATT store almost everywhere and activation is easier in a AT&T store!

19. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Yep I went to an ATT store. In and out in like 5 minutes.

20. unixfool macrumors 6502a

One thing I don't like about these forums is that way too much political stuff gets drug into normal conversations...and so non-chalantly too, like everyone agrees about your take on things. That comment definitely ruined my night, even if it would've referenced Obama.

Can we please leave out ANY types of political rants or hints of affiliation?

21. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Customer: " Hi I would like to buy and iphone?"

Best Buy Employee "Uh...what color would you like?"

Customer: "White please"

Best Buy Employee "Uh...we only have red, blue or yellow"

Customer: "Oh no, I said iphone. Those are ipod nanos"

Best Buy: "Uh...yeah we only have them in red, blue or yellow. All the rest are out of stock. Would you be interested in our extended warranty for just a few dollars more"

Customer: "No...I ...want an iphone. Your showing me nanos...I want an iphone. Do you have any iphones?"

Best Buy: "Uh...Let me get my manager"

Customer: "Umm...nevermind"

Best Buy Employee: "Uh...sorry...they should be in stock soon."

(Best buy employee goes back to texting on his sidekick)

22. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Its the sign of the times. Politics are everywhere. No worries though.
    You shouldnt let other people ruin your night. I apologize for interjecting my views into a post . There was no political rant. It was more of a quip minus the "witty" part. When Obama IS (not if) elected.... hopefully everything will change and people can begin to talk more freely and openly about such a sh_tty president GWB was as we begin to mend relations with our worldy neighbors and get away from this neo-con paranoid america we've created.

Now thats a rant. :rolleyes:

23. unixfool macrumors 6502a

What I'll do is use the User CP to see if I can start ignoring posts from you..that way I can better focus on the topic of discussion.

24. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef