BestBuy service plans

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JLEW700, Aug 19, 2008.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Im going to buy a MB from bestbuy and was just wondering if anybody knows about he service plans. I think they offer 4 different plans, two 3 year plans and two 2 year plans. I know the MB also comes with a 1 year apple warranty. Should i invest in a bestbuy plan and if so which one? Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Best Buy plans are similar to the CompUSA plans in the past. If you have a problem, they will likely repair the system or replace it with a current model. Whereas, AppleCare, only repairs. I think AppleCare is worth it, since you get phone support, something you don't get with BB.

TEG

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Read the fine print

BB has two plans. A repair plan and a replacement plan. I had bought the repair plan on my iPod years ago when I thought it was a replacement plan. It was going to take 8+ weeks to repair due to the following reasons (as quoted by BB):
    ++ We're out of boxes to ship your iPod to Apple.
    ++ We're running behind at the Geek Squad.

When I asked what the Geek Squad had to do with any repair sent to Apple they said they "monitor" the repair process. Fair enough. However, the lack of boxes :confused: thus creating a lag in repair time really stumped me. I ended up just sending it to Apple and they fixed it right up.

Apparently, and I only speak from what BB told me, anything with a hard drive does not have a replacement plan option, only a repair plan option.

4. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

one of the plans was around $250 and included battery replacment and something else as well as fixing whatever goes wrong. How long do the MB battiers usually last? I know a battery is around $100 itself so its only another $150 for the rest of the service. Would it be worth the money?

5. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Wrong. You get 24/7 telephone support via Geek Squad. I'd go for the Performance Service Plan, because they do cover pretty much everything and anything except for accidental damage. Usually these plans seem expensive but as soon as you hit one or two repairs, you realize that it was money well spent.

3 repairs and on the fourth you get a replacement, what else could you ask for?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Somewhere on Apple's site there is a document about cycles and batteries on the MB. Are they saying that if the battery dies they'll replace it? Check the fine print there too because somewhere on these boards someone reported the battery going bad in their laptop and Apple refused to replace it as it had too many cycles. I can't find the thread, but it's here.

If you're paying $250 for a replacement plan then I guess it's a good deal. Just read the warranty and know what they replace/repair. Know what it takes to get a replacement (ie: 3x service then replace) Don't be hyper-focused on the fact that the plan is $250 and a battery is $100 as the logic is you'll likely not need another battery due to malfunction. I doubt they just simply replace a battery after 2-3 years for kicks, but I may very well be wrong.

7. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Best Buy has two types of plans....basic service plans and accidental plans...the basic warranties cover everything that Apple would and include one free battery and power cord replacement....the accidental plans cover everything the basic plan does but also covers all accidents.....sitting on, dropping, spilling on, etc......they are 100 dollars more for the respective lenght...ie 2 or 3 years.....I feel as if they are worth it because you do get the free battery replacement and it's nice to know that one drop isnt going to cost you 1300 dollars....

On both plans if they can fix it they do...if it will take to much time or it cost to much then they just give you the current model brand new that same day....

8. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Since I work at the BB, here is what the plans do and do not cover:

The most expensive plan is the 3 yr, ADH or accidental damage plus parts and labor
    The only thing that this is not going to cover is if it is lost or stolen, burnt in house fire or if you drop it in water. It does cover if you spin water or coke, just can't take it swimming with you. For the MacBook that should be around $379.99, there is a 2yr option, it is only $50 dollars less.

The next step down from that is Best Buys parts and labor coverage.
    This is going to cover: Dust, Heat, Humidity, Regular Wear and Tear, it also covers a one time Battery Replacement, if the LCD screen goes not (not damage) as well as the charger. This option should run you $100 less than the ADH plan, so if the 3 yr ADH is $379, the 3yr p&l labor would run $279.

If neither one of these float your boat, you can purchase a 1yr, ADH plan for $99

We sell alot of these with our Apple portables, because alot of people love Applecare, but they don't cover damage.

I will say that I have AppleCare on my laptop, and while I have used it more than I should, I am glad that I bought it, as it has already paid for itself, and the turn around time is super fast. I however did not buy my laptop from Best Buy, although I work there.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Geek Squad? Really? Why would I get a Mac hating person, to help me with my Mac? I get better support from my roomates, who can barely use XP.

I hate Geek Squad, they have never been able to help anyone. Same goes for the guys at FireDog.

TEG

10. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

With the battery replacment and power cord replacment can I go in the day before my service ends and tell them I want that stuff replaced or does there have to be something wrong with it?

11. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I agree....I have friends that work at Geek Squad and their whole store doesn't know anything about Mac's....in fact most of them trash talk them all the time...I should get on best buy's payroll because they call me more then once a week with an Apple question....

12. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

With both they have to have a problem...with the power cord it has to have a problem such as not working or have a short...the battery more often then not they just replace as they don't want to take the time to check them out...not to mention in three years most good laptop batteries are about used up anyway....

13. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have my iPhone insured threw state farm and it cost me a one time payment of $30. Its for the lifetime of the phone and it pretty much covers everything. Do outside insurance companies have anything like this for apple laptops?

14. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anybody know?

15. mademan118 macrumors regular

I know my insurance company offered that through my renters insurance, however I would think it is best to call them first.

Coming from a former BB employee, buy the Applecare. DO NOT BUY BB'S PSP crap. ALWAYS deal with the manufacture, not a third party.

16. Built macrumors 68020

I have the 3 year Performance Service Plan from Best Buy along with the ADH for my Macbook.

I rarely buy service plans on anything other than laptops.

17. omega21 macrumors member

++

My friend has had his macbook replaced twice through the best buy one. Both were upgrades.

18. omega21 macrumors member

So you would rather possibly get someone's two year old refurbished computer as a replacement, than a new one off the shelf from BestBuy?

19. mademan118 macrumors regular

I use my renters insurance to get my laptop replaced if it is damaged beyond repair. I would never ever let the **** Squad touch my laptop, whether it be PC or Mac. Plus, what a lot of you seem to be forgetting, is that the PSP does not service software. Apple's warranty does include software troubleshooting also (Mac Software).

I have worked for both retailers, Apple and Best Buy. The things I have seen the Geek Squad do to computers and other electronics refrains me from purchasing any type of warranty from best buy for anything.

Lastly, it is a known fact that purchasing warranties from the Manufacture rather then a third party is almost always the best thing to do. You are dealing with Apple techs (Geniuses) who are sent to Cupertino to be trained about the very product, rather then some off-the-street joe schmo guy.

Up to you to choose though.

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Don't buy the BB at all. Just buy AppleCare when your 1yr warranty expires.

21. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Don't buy from best buy or applecare, just get the squaretrade warranty.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

It covers anything the other two do plus it's alot cheaper. And they have coupon codes floating around the net for 50% off your policy.

You can insure a $1499.99 Macbook for 3 years with ADH for $187.50. They charge $50 if you accidentally damage your Macbook but there's no deductible if your laptop just stops working.

I don't even use retailers' insurance anymore. Check it out.

22. Built macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link to Squaretrade. I will have to check it out.

I purchased the BB PSP plus ADH for my Macbook, but, for the two Toshiba laptops I JUST purchased, I got the Toshiba 3 year Extended Warranty with ADH and Service Express. I have to see how much I save if I cancel the Toshiba warranty and go with Squaretrade.

23. Deschain macrumors member

You really think the Bestbuy phone support is worth money? Put a monkey on the internet and you'll get the same caliber of support.

This is from my experiance with 2 bestbuys in my city. Geeksquad is useless. What good is a support service if i know more than the person that should be helping me. The whole geeksquad service (support, and repair) is a waste of money, i will never support such a service.

24. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

As much as Best Buy does provide a lot of coverage for insurance. You might as well get Applecare so that they can hopefully resolve your problem and on time. Best buy is more suited for PCs, whereas Applecare is better suited for Macs. IMO. Good luck though.

25. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, i totally forgot about squaretrade. I have a camera covered threw them and it was a really good deal. I think this will be the best option for me. heres some coupons i found if anybody else is interested
    http://www.retailmenot.com/view/squaretrade.com