BestBuy Unlocked iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tenjikuronin, Sep 22, 2014.

1. tenjikuronin macrumors newbie

Looking to get an unlocked iPhone 6 for T-Mobile, and I got a 10% off Best Buy coupon that expires at the end of October, so I'm hoping to use that.

Any ideas as to when BB gets unlocked iPhones? They have the 5S but no 6 yet.

Thanks!

2. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

You can get a Verizon one now, and use it with T-Mobile. BBY won't allow you to use the 10% coupon off it however (most, if not all of the coupons state in the fine print that Apple products, as well as a handful of other brands are not eligible for the discount).

3. tenjikuronin thread starter macrumors newbie

The movers coupon, if I recall, doesn't mention Apple (but Apple branded accessories is on there), but does mention on-contract phones. Here's the fine print. I talked with one of my local BBYs, and they noted that I should be able to use the coupon once they get unlocked phones (which, knowing Best Buy, is not a definitive answer).

The Verizon phone comes unlocked? Aren't they all on-contract?

4. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Can try to use the coupon, all the ones I've tried over the years (10% ones, 12% ones, Reward Zone member ones, and a few others), have never worked. They'll scan them, but the % never comes off. Been told a few times that they won't work, but with Best Buys ass backwards policies maybe one will work in the consumers favor for once.

The Verizon 6 is unlocked period, whether purchased retail (which I imagine is what you plan to do, since you'll use it with TM). If they insist it has to be activated, etc, just tell them you're getting it as a gift, even then they shouldn't say or do anything - I've purchased at least 3-4 5's and 5s's over the years that way, pay, and out the door.

BTW I just re-read the link you posted and while it says Apple accessories are not covered, it does say "Unlocked phones; contract mobile phones'" are not, so I'd venture to guess that in and of itself would prevent it from working, contract, or not.

5. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Isn't there a trade-in deal that can be applied to a best buy iPhone purchase? I could've sworn i read it somewhere.

6. tenjikuronin thread starter macrumors newbie

You might be right. I may just try and get it from Apple instead, though knowing the inconsistency at BBY may be worth a short.

Thanks!

7. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

I use Best Buy when I can, so I get the 18 months no interest (helps when paying retail), and I always press them to price match it since they sell it at retail for 50.00 more than everyone else. Never hurts to give it a try and see what they say/do first.

----------

I'm sure there is, and they, like most other trade in's likely give you rock bottom value. If you've got an older device, then it's sometimes worth it, but if you've got a more recent one, their valuations are usually junk.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Can you buy a Verizon one without a contract, though?

9. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Don't see why not. If you're paying retail they don't ask for your wireless number or anything. All the devices I've purchased, they've never asked for it. Just rang it up, got my Reward Zone ID # and charged me. Generally you can tell them it's a gift for someone, though in all the times I've done it, they've never pressed me.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I assume it's the same price as buying the T-Mobile device from Apple? The prices on Best Buy's site are a tad confusing. e.g. $799 for a 64GB iPhone 6, - $50 more than T-Mobile equivalent..

11. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Best Buy adds some BS 50.00 extra fee to their retail/full price cost of all phones. If you press them about it the right way, they will match Apple.com. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Each time I've gotten a retail device I've managed to get away with price matching, even though once it took having to get the mobile manager involved. Their terms say they don't price match contract phones, but my stance was, that if I was paying retail, I was not paying a "contract price" (ie: 299.99 or whatever the case may be).

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Right. I'll have to do that.

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not sure I can get Best Buy to match it, since Apple don't sell the Verizon one for $749, do they?

14. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

As far as I know its 649, 749, 849 (16, 64, 128), but since Apple isn't selling (to my knowledge) them at retail (on the website) it may be hard to find that pricing to show to Best Buy. If you manage to get a smart enough person (sometimes this can be a feat to accomplish at Best Buy), they'll already more or less know the pricing of the device with Apple. Thankfully most of the staff in the mobile department at the Best Buy I go to are generally already aware of competitors prices, or don't bother arguing with people about it. Keep in mind, a lot of people don't have success getting them to price match, while some (as myself) have had success.

15. 617aircav Suspended

Best buy charges $50 more for full priced iPhones. Take note.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

Managed, after a bit of convincing, to get a Verizon iPhone 6 64GB silver for $749.99. I REALLY hope this will work with AT&T SIM... Going to gift it to my wife tonight during a dinner date.

17. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I don't think you can use a Verizon phone with T-mobile though. AT&T or Tmobile only. Verizon works with the Sprint network though.

18. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

You can use the Verizon version just fine with ATT or TM. It wont work however on sprint as sprint does not activate devices not sold by, or for their network.

19. 617aircav Suspended

You are good to go. I have the same phone and I'm using it on T-Mobile.

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

Brilliant. Thanks. :)

21. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Holy **** this is cool! You can really buy a Verizon iPhone 6 at full retail and use it on T-Mobile? I assume Best Buy isn't getting 6+ in any real quantity?

I've seen where some are claiming you can get an AT&T "device only" phone from the Apple Store and it's the same sort of thing. Is that true?

22. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

That's how I've done it the last few years

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep. Wife got given the Verizon iPhone 6 tonight. Popped her AT&T SIM in and all is well. :)

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Ahhh, thanks for the tip! I just checks the specs out on Apple.com and I guess the CDMA version does contain all the GSM radios, just not vice versa.

I thought it was previously one or the other. Cool!

25. rkunel macrumors newbie

oh,can i purchase this unlocked device from Bestbuy online store?
    cause when i choose Verizon iphone into my package,there's an option "buy an unactivated device",is this one unlocked version? the price is $50 more than apple store,