Beta 2 - dead iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel97, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Might aswell be!

Can no longer make calls as people cannot hear me! :(

I can hear them but they can't hear me :(

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

It's a beta. There are bound to be problems. It's not supposed to be a daily driver. Go back to iOS 4 if you're having problems.

Really no need for this thread...

Sorry to sound harsh, but what do you expect us to do about it? The beta is nowhere near bug free and is not meant to be used as your day-to-day software at the moment.

So yeah, sorry for sounding harsh, but really man. =/

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I expect errors and glitches but I expect to be able to make calls.

Surely if it's a glitch we should all have it?

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

That's just the thing, some bugs might affect you but not others. I dunno man, the only advice I can give you is to reinstall iOS 5 and make sure you don't have some sort of setting checked that mutes your voice or something. Good luck, though.

5. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rolled back to 4.3.3 and still doesnt work .. although the mic is working as i can record stuff in dragon or apple voice recorder so its not hardware

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It clearly is your hardware from what I've read.

Your mic is working when you use recording apps, but that's a different matter altogether from making and receiving telephone calls. Just because the mic can pick up sound to record in, lets say, Voice Memo, doesn't mean it will automatically work when a call is initiated.

The problem seems to be when the call is made/received, and once that is in action, your mic cuts out. A trip to the Apple store awaits.

7. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i called apple and they said tough **** basically .. my phone is one month old lol :(

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

Rstore and set up as a new iPhone, dont restore from backup. See if that helps.

9. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. truciet macrumors 6502

11. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Thanks to your thread I am no longer searching for ways to get on the BETA. Thanks.

12. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

did that too ..

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You called Apple and told them that your one month old iPhone (which is not running the current supported software and is under warranty if it one month old) doesn't work for phone calls and they said tough ****?

I have a hard time believing that.

14. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They said are you on IOS5.

I said yes.

They said have you paid to be a dev

I said yes

They said tough then its what you get for taking part in BETAS

15. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Downgrade to 4.3.3 and call them then. If you restored to iOS 4 there shouldn't be a problem. If they don't help over the phone go to the store. Just don't mention iOS 5 was installed.

16. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Doubtful.

17. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Well they aren't allowed to help you if your device is running beta software so I believe that part.

Just restore to 4.3.3 and don't mention iOS 5 to them. No problems there.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Smart move. Unless you're actually developing apps it's baffling why toadies are all over beta software. It's like buying a car where the brakes may or may not work.

19. Kellye8498 macrumors newbie

I'm not developing apps yet but plan to. Does that make me a "toadie"?

I'm beta testing an app for my husband that HE wrote so I use iOS5. Does THAT make me a "toadie"?

Get off your high horse dude!!!

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Wow that sucks. It's not dead but if the mic isn't working, mic based APIs won't do anything. First thing is you should never tell them you're using iOS5 before retail release. It's just not a good idea. Second thing you should know is that this is what developers call accepted risk. By installing foreign software, you accept the risks associated with the installation. It's like if I was going to install Ubuntu on a Windows Vista based machine. I shouldn't be expecting kexts or drivers for anything in that case. The third thing you should know is that a DFU restore to 4.3.3 may help restore the function to your iPhone 4. You should also make sure that you just do a clean install instead of a restore off of your old backup file which may have corrupted. If you're using Windows, your chance of data corruption is about 80% higher than a UNIX user.

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

OP. Try this. Make a phone call and put it on speaker. If the other person can automagically hear you then almost certainly your mic is bad. Your phone has 2 mics. One on the bottom (commonly mistaken to be another speaker) and one on top (little hole next to the headphone jack) when you are on a call and speaker is off you are using the bottom mic and the top is noise cancellation. When speaker is on you are using the top.

If the other party can hear you when you put it on speaker it is your bottom mic. In which case it is hardware and apple should replace regardless of what version OS you are running. I had this happen several months ago and I changed the whole dock connector assembly and all was well.

22. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can develop apps virtually with XCode without installing iOS 5, also no reason you can't cut your teeth on iOS 4.3

23. EddyP macrumors 6502

Take a q-tip and clean out the headphone jack. I have had this problem with my 3GS and cleaning out the headphone jack does the trick.

24. Kellye8498 macrumors newbie

First, my husband wanted iT tested in iOS 5.

Second, it's really no ones business but his and mine.

Third, you shouldn't be judging. Didn't your mother teach you the rule of "if you can't say something nice"?

25. blesio macrumors regular

Seriously, go back to 4.3.3 and then go get it repaired as it does not seem to be a software issue. And if you're mad that things don't work on a beta software the. Get an other device and don't use it as your main device. No one promised that ios5 beta will be stable and you shouldn't be using it on a main device.
    Either way go back to 4.3.3 which is as easy as picking a nose :) and go get it fixed :))))