Beta Five Has Been the Most Unstable Build on My Device

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iBreatheApple, Aug 13, 2013.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I have an iPhone 5 and betas three and four ran exceptional for me. Since the launch of beta five, I've had more app crashes than ever. Safari is constantly crashing, whether I have four tabs open or only one. iMessage crashes, especially when trying to add more than one recipient. These two bugs are only a few among others (such as the unlock effect on music playback).

Is this the most unstable build for you guys as well? I was very impressed with the previous build.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

4. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's very stable on my iPhone 5, less stable on my iPad 3.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if the iOS 7 forums are any indication, this build as well as all others have been hit or miss for many. Sometimes it appears related only to the device itself (iPhone 4S over iPhone 5) and others, it appears it is simply app related.

Go back to beta 4 if you need to until beta 6 comes out.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How about using the Dev Center access you should have, and report all bugs to Apple? That seems like a better idea than complaining here.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Beta 5 is by far the most stable for me. I've also tried to replicate some of your issues but everything is smooth here.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Beta 5 is very stable for me (except itunes crashing this morning consistantly).

Not only is beta 5 stable for me I'm getting ridiculous battery life out of it as well. I went 14 hours with 61% battery left yesterday.

P.S. did you do a clean install of Beta 5? if not, did you at least reset all network and settings?

9. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

iTunes is another one crashing for me as well. I did not. I never do a clean install; perhaps that would fix some of my issues but I've never done one in the past.

This a discussion forum.

Attached Files:

10. YeahBuddy macrumors regular

Beta 4 was the most stable release for myself. Beta 5 is doing fine on my iPhone 5, but horrible on my iPad 3. All translucency is gone, and if I do a five finger pinch to close an app (which is just natural now) I have to reboot the device. And my boot times are atrocious with this beta.

11. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I use beta 5 on my main device all day and it's running smooth. sometimes safari crash but that's about it.

12. jww062 macrumors member

The point is that all bugs should be report to Apple. They don't release betas just so people can play with them for fun and talk about them on a third-party message board. They release betas to essentially get people to test their software and report any issues, particularly the ones that may affect any of the apps they've created. That's why the invitation to participate in testing betas goes out to Apple Developers and not the MacRumors forums user directory.

If nobody reports a bug, they're not going to fix it. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. As we've seen on these forums, the iOS 7 beta 5 is hit or miss for some users. If it's "hit" for half the users and none of the "miss" users report it, it's going to remain hit or miss.

If only a couple people report a bug like "my email isn't pushing" without any more details, they may write the bug off as an issue isolated to their email provider because they have nothing else to go by. Even if you think many people have already reported it, it's important for Apple to get a grasp on how many people it is affecting, and what devices they're using, etc., especially in cases like this where it isn't everyone who is seeing the issues.

People on these boards don't reply to threads like this with "Report it to Apple" just for poos and giggles, it's done so that the issues actually get fixed to give everybody a better experience with the device.

So, yeah, this is a discussion forum, and you're free to discuss it here, but there is also a proper channel for issues to go through if you want to make sure the issues are fixed when the final version out in September.

13. Papajuice macrumors newbie

You are not testing ios7, you are testing your apps. Doubt apple gives a fig.

14. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

No issues with beta 5 right now. Thought I had an issue with app store not downloading apps, but that is no longer an issue.

15. jww062 macrumors member

They don't care that the buttons in the toolbar have to be held in on the Twitter app to work, but I'm sure they care when apps are crashing, the device is resetting, etc.

One of the issues given above is Safari keeps crashing -- that's Apple's app running on Apple's operating system, they absolutely give a fig about that.

16. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Wouldn't it be pretty to think so? But I suspect that most of the "report it to Apple" and "why are you complaining here?" comments are made out of snarkiness. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I doubt I am.

17. jww062 macrumors member

I'm sure there are some being snarky, but I'm sure there are some who say it to make sure the issue is properly documented as well who want to see things cleared up before the final release.

18. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

That's why I said "most," not "all."

19. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Working pretty well here, but I might do a newinstall of it before I go away on the weekend to see if the few bugs I do have are from the OTA upgrades rather than the iOS itself

20. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Beta 5 has been fantastic for me on the 5S.. Almost seems like a complete product.. Only app that really crashes is google translate.. I have a feeling that google will have to fix that.. The app is horribly out of date.. One of the 2-3 apps i have without iphone 5 support :/

I noticed that the bug where youtube would hide under the status bar after exiting landscape is even fixed.

Its getting there on the ipad mini.. Still a bit laggy and more app crashed then on 5s... But still the best beta so for.

For me.. Beta 3 was by far the worst.. On both devices.

21. Jakimo macrumors 6502

You obviously have a bad install.

Most of us find beta 5 to be excellent!

Try reinstalling if Erase all settings doesn't work out...

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

beta 5 has been the most solid one for me. Have you tried a new install?

23. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

wut

24. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'm thinking he meant the 5's... meaning he has more than one device.

25. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Beta 5 is running rock solid on my 4s. Not a fresh install. Started Beta 1 from a backup and have done OTA updates since then.