Beta Tester or Developer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFC Archer, Mar 20, 2009.

1. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am interested in being a Beta tester for the iPhone and testing the new 3.0 SDK. Do I have to join the developer program to just do beta testing or is there another path. I do not have a Mac so can not develop apps and do not want to waste the $99 for that purpose. I would like to be able to test the iPhone attach all my blue tooth stuff to test and work it in that way.

Someday I would love to develop apps for the iPhone but that will be when I break down and finally buy a mac just for that purpose. Until then I want to do more for our community other then just testing apps which I do for a half dozed developers so far.

Can someone point me in the right direction to Beta this 3.0 release???

Thanks

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The only way you can (legally) download and use the 3.0 SDK is to join the developer program.

3. phrequenc macrumors newbie

my aunt just bought a macbook for 1000$ you can buy a mac mini for far less. sell your PeeCee!

4. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

LOL...The PC stays, no offense taken. I love and know my Alienware just as much as you guys love your Macs. I never play that game so will stop there. I also love my iPhone and what it does and want to be more a part of its life. I help in these forums as much as I can. I help developers beta their apps when asked . I have the time as a retiree. I have the interest and I am gaining programming knowledge.

@ The Moon...I only work my iPhone legally. It is not jail broke and never will be. I would only do this legally so that is why I was looking for feedback. If I have to take that path the I will do the free route. But wanted opinions from a large group of fairly knowledgable guys/gals.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Not to change the subject, but I just wanted to clear something up here. Jailbreaking your iPhone is not illegal. That is all.

6. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I was not referring to the law and I do not want to start that argument in this thread. IMO, what you do with your iPhone is your business and as long as it does not hurt others and you do not expect special privileges because you knew the repercussions of doing it then users can do all they want.

I prefer using my technology the way it was designed and help to improve it by making recommendations that have a valid foundation and make sense for all, not just a few.

So...i am not saying its legal or illegal. I am saying that I will run my phone the way that my agreement with apple says.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When I said legally, I wasn't talking about jail breaking, I was talking about downloading the 3.0 SDK. The only way that you can acquire it while it's still in beta is by signing up for an iPhone developer account, which is not free, it costs $99 per year.

When the 3.0 update is released to the public, most likely in the summer, you should be able to download the 3.0 SDK with a free developer account. You can only use the iPhone simulator with the free account. If you want to debug applications using your iPhone, you will have to sign up for the iPhone developer account.

8. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Gotcha...thank you for the answers. I had a feeling I would have to join the developer program. I though they had a free path and that you only had to pay the 99 to get iPhone simulater and be able to submit apps. Is there a free account?

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes, there is a free developer account. You can register here, but you can only download the 2.2.1 SDK. Once the 3.0 upgrade is released, you should be able to download the 3.0 SDK with this free account.

10. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

So the only way to get it now is join the $99 program? If that is so then I will just join with someone that can benefit from the money and just let me do the testing and maybe marketing.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Correct. If you know an iPhone developer, they can add your iPhone to the account to allow you to test their applications. I would be very careful with 3.0 right now because it is a beta.

12. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

What are the major bugs right now??? I love testing/reporting and troubleshooting and it seems that Apple was pretty fast in fixing upgrade bugs during the test phase. I wouldnt know and is why I ask

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm not sure what the major bugs are right now. I'm sure you can skim over the iPhone forum to see people complaining about lots of things. I just have the free account and I also haven't developed for the iPhone yet, only the Mac.

14. wil49 macrumors member

Does void your warranty thou.

15. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

That's cool, that means you don't have the 3.0 sdk either.

Is there anyone else out there that has input/recommendations to get me going on working with 3.0?

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There is no way around it. Either you have to have a developer account or your iPhone has to be added to an existing developers account.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, the 3.0 SDK is available now to all registered iPhone developers.

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Right... but it starts at $99 a year.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No. The SDK is available to those who registered for free also.

20. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Not true for free Registered iPhone Developer

21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Well... it's not available to me and I have the free account. This is what it tells me when I click on the SDK 3.0 button.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Huh. Okay, my apologies then. I was wrong.

23. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

As per the iPhone OS Advisory note installing the 3.0 beta wipes your iPhone clean of all apps and you can not revert to a previous (v2.x) version after doing so.

24. SFC Archer thread starter macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Thanks to all of you that responded to my thread!!!

I am now a 3.0 user with a PC and all is working fine between iTunes, iPhone and PC. In fact this install was the smoothest of all since June of 2007.

Thanks again and good luck to those that follow!

25. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You are or you are not a 3.0 user? Sorry, I am having trouble understanding your post.

I am in the same boat as you, and I am currently looking for a developer to let me test apps. If anybody knows any, please PM me.