Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I'm not sure they are "retconning" the history as much as tweaking it. Where The Enclave is concerned, I'd say their take on them being in WVA is plausible, since they were the remnants of the government. And the BOS is supposedly there, (at the moment) via satellite. Again, not implausible. And not really too far outside established canon that the BOS might have sent patrols across the country to see what had happened (given that Greenbriar was the vault for the government). I'm going to cut them some slack when it comes to the storytelling.

BOS.jpg

Enclave.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure they are "retconning" the history as much as tweaking it.
The more I think about it, the more I do think its difficult to justify a BOS presence in Virginia when they did start out in the west. I'm not worked up by it, and I only mention that this one factor as to why many people are upset.

My concern is marrying a single player game where moral decisions and the consequences are made into a multiplayer game that seems more focused on crafting and exploration. I realize there were complaints about FO4 when it hit and Fall Out fans were somewhat unhappy with some of the aspects, but this feels different. With FO4 there was a lot of positive energy about the game (even with some of those complaints), where as with FO76, Bethesda is trying to generate that positive buzz, but they're continuing to get rebuffed by the very people who they're trying to get excited.

I do have my doubts as to whether this game will be a success I don't think it will fail, but I'm wondering if it will not be the winner that Bethesda has hoped for.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
My wife and my son are currently playing the BETA. Judging from the yells and comments they are having a helluva time! "I was just attacked by ticks!", "OMG, murderbots!". LOL. I'll let them play the BETA, but it sounds like the game is going to be fun!

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife and my son are currently playing the BETA. Judging from the yells and comments they are having a helluva time! "I was just attacked by ticks!", "OMG, murderbots!". LOL. I'll let them play the BETA, but it sounds like the game is going to be fun!
From everything I have been seeing on YouTube, the majority of the feedback has been positive. I am on PS4 and can’t test the B.E.T.A until Tuesday (got the beta installed already though!), but I am pretty sure it’s going to be fun.

I think the main question will be replayability, but given the size of the map, and the overall seemingly dense amount of story via holotapes and letters, I think most who enjoy the game at the beginning be playing this game for quite some time.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
From everything I have been seeing on YouTube, the majority of the feedback has been positive. I am on PS4 and can’t test the B.E.T.A until Tuesday (got the beta installed already though!), but I am pretty sure it’s going to be fun.

I think the main question will be replayability, but given the size of the map, and the overall seemingly dense amount of story via holotapes and letters, I think most who enjoy the game at the beginning be playing this game for quite some time.
I think the game will have a good replayability, over time. No doubt Bethesda will be adding on expansions in the future and, if it takes off like Elder Scrolls Online, there will be some serious expansion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I bit the bullet, I bought FO76 Bicentennial edition off PSN. The beta is downloading as we speak. From what I can see, tomorrow's beta starts at 7:00pm so I'll be ready for that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
95 GB download - ugh that hurts. I have the space, but to be safe, I deleted some games I haven't played much. This is the downside of digital purchases, vs. physical media. The upside is I don't have to worry about the disc being scratched, I can just re-download if I ever want too. I'm 25GB into the download, due to the slow wifi connection of my PS4. I bring up the router today and just let it download directly from that tonight.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
95 GB download - ugh that hurts. I have the space, but to be safe, I deleted some games I haven't played much. This is the downside of digital purchases, vs. physical media. The upside is I don't have to worry about the disc being scratched, I can just re-download if I ever want too. I'm 25GB into the download, due to the slow wifi connection of my PS4. I bring up the router today and just let it download directly from that tonight.
Just curious do you have a PS4 Pro or the original PS4 (non-4K model). I have the oringial PS4, and my download was only 45 some GBs. 95 GBs download is MASSIVE!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just curious do you have a PS4 Pro or the original PS4 (non-4K model). I have the oringial PS4, and my download was only 45 some GBs. 95 GBs download is MASSIVE!
I have the original PS4, and the original file size download was quoted at 45GB but then when I went back there, it ballooned up to 95GB. I'm not sure why, I'm looking at 12 more hours
[doublepost=1540844844][/doublepost]Doing a quick google, looks like there's a 45 GB and a 50GB update if that make sense

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
LOL. And that's why all our consoles (Xbox and PS4 Pro) are hardwired.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I have the original PS4, and the original file size download was quoted at 45GB but then when I went back there, it ballooned up to 95GB. I'm not sure why, I'm looking at 12 more hours
[doublepost=1540844844][/doublepost]Doing a quick google, looks like there's a 45 GB and a 50GB update if that make sense
Holy cow! You’re right! I just got home and checked my PS4 and it’s taking 95.71 GB. I have Google fiber internet, so I just ran the install while I was out for a few hours the other day, but didn’t realize it was that large!

And at @RootBeerMan, hardwired is the best way, but unfortunately for me I can’t easily hardwire the PS4 to the router in the other room of my apartment. I still don’t understand why PlayStation didn’t include 5.0 GHz WiFi bandwidths on the original PS4 :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hooked up my cable modem directly to my PS4 and while not blazingly fast, it did cause the download to finish over night. Now I have pull apart the cables and re-attach everything. I think it might be time for a mesh network

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So I played the beta today, and I will say that overall I enjoyed it. It definitely took me a bit to get really into the main quest line, and I definitely do notice a difference with there being no major NPCs. But once I started getting into the main quest line it was pretty fun.

I think I will enjoy this game. The first two hours of play seemed slow to me as I fumbled to grasp the controls, but by the 4th hour, now I want to keep playing!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think I will enjoy this game. The first two hours of play seemed slow to me as I fumbled to grasp the controls, but by the 4th hour, now I want to keep playing!
That was me as well, I struggled with the controls, I only played a couple of hours, so I didn't think I was able to get too far here's my take.

The game area is beautiful and expansive, I'm guessing for many people in the beta, I was solo, not teammates. I did see the occasional player but overall I was alone, and that's where it loses some of the mystic for me. I'm in a post apocalyptic setting, and there's no other humans around. The place seems too empty, the lack of human NPCs does change the game quite a bit. I remember someone from Bethesda saying that this is 25 years after the bomb dropped so gangs/raiders haven't had time to coalesce and form, but I was in one section where the bodies of raiders were lying around (I was able to pick up their ammo and what not). Seems odd not to have human NPCs but they opted for the bodies. As I get more opportunities to play, I'm sure I'll be beating the NPC issue to death but I do think it was an important factor in the prior FO games. Now this game is just a survival game, nothing to do with moral decisions and consequences.

Super Mutants, I thought they were the result of the FEV, how could they be Virginia shortly after the great war?

I had to be more mindful of my food and drink, which adds a bit of complexity to playing, I think I opted for the lead belly perk card just to help diminish the impact of radiation while eating and drinking.

Overall, I may be a bit critical of the game, as it lacks a number of qualities and features of the prior FO games, I did enjoy myself. I can see once this gets out of beta, that I play this game at leisure though the risk there is I'll be at a lower level then other plays and I'll probably not get a chance to get all of the launch codes. I'll burn that bridge when I get it. I think I will still enjoy this game though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's still being tested, things are expected to break. My son was affected by this last night on the Xbox One. He spent most of his time waiting for a slow redownload. Sucks, but **** happens.

This exactly why they're having the beta. I mean its a bummer, that this happened, no question but Bethesda is calling this B.E.T.A. (Break-It Early Test Application) so the public release will be solid.

So can either of you tell me why Bethesda releases and rereleases games with console crashing bugs? I’m sure this will totally be like no other Bethesda Open World Game and will be super solid.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
So can either of you tell me why Bethesda releases and rereleases games with console crashing bugs? I’m sure this will totally be like no other Bethesda Open World Game and will be super solid.
I've been playing Bethesda games on consoles since they started making them for consoles and I've never really had a bad experience. Sure, I've had an occasional crash. But I've had them with many non-Bethesda games and rarely with a Bethesda game. As someone who has been using computers since the early 80's and game consoles since about the same time, I expect a bug now and then. It's just not possible to have code without bugs, given that it's created by humans. When games become as huge and complex as Bethesda's it's gonna happen. Thankfully, the gamer community and the company work together to get bugs fixed ASAP. Frankly, I have no complaints. Hell, sometimes those bugs work in the gamers favour and I hate to see them patched.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've been playing Bethesda games on consoles since they started making them for consoles and I've never really had a bad experience. Sure, I've had an occasional crash. But I've had them with many non-Bethesda games and rarely with a Bethesda game. As someone who has been using computers since the early 80's and game consoles since about the same time, I expect a bug now and then. It's just not possible to have code without bugs, given that it's created by humans. When games become as huge and complex as Bethesda's it's gonna happen. Thankfully, the gamer community and the company work together to get bugs fixed ASAP. Frankly, I have no complaints. Hell, sometimes those bugs work in the gamers favour and I hate to see them patched.

I like how we excuse bugs that have people falling through floors, but only because it’s Bethesda. Or deletes the game. Or refuses to let you continue quests. Yes, I’ve ran into most of those myself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've incurred a number of bugs, but nothing huge or show stopping. Nothing what happened to Mass Effect. Overall my experience with Bethesda games over the years has been very positive.
[doublepost=1541017281][/doublepost]
I like how we excuse bugs that have people falling through floors, but only because it’s Bethesda. Or deletes the game. Or refuses to let you continue quests. Yes, I’ve ran into most of those myself.
I've not had any of that happen to me on any Bethesda game

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've incurred a number of bugs, but nothing huge or show stopping. Nothing what happened to Mass Effect. Overall my experience with Bethesda games over the years has been very positive.
[doublepost=1541017281][/doublepost]
I've not had any of that happen to me on any Bethesda game

You mean Andromeda, the game that single handedly destroyed a franchise?
[doublepost=1541018149][/doublepost] 16A85822-1237-4172-A173-343F0F9AB851.jpeg Holy crap, it’s basically done and it’s still a buggy mess that deleted itself.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Yep. Fallout 76 did get deleted yesterday. Happened to my son on our console. Sucked. But, it's a BETA and things happen. Hopefully Bethesda will figure out what happened and patch it so it doesn't happen again. That's what BETA's are for.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yep. Fallout 76 did get deleted yesterday. Happened to my son on our console. Sucked. But, it's a BETA and things happen. Hopefully Bethesda will figure out what happened and patch it so it doesn't happen again. That's what BETA's are for.

It is releasing in two weeks. That’s not a Beta. Also, it isn’t a beta according to Bethesda. It’s a B.E.T.A, where they’re testing their servers and letting people have early access.

Edit: I’m sure they’re also going to fix all of the console specific problems, like occasionally being 10-12 frames per second.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.