Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm so frustrated right now. I've had about 5 fusion cores disappear out of my inventory, and I'm doing a BOS quest - Defiance has Fallen. I'm in their building and I'm getting over-run by glowing mole rats. What's frustrating is that my melee weapon is doing 0 damage, and while my rifles are doing damage - at least initially, then the mole rat's health goes back to 100%. That is, any damage I inflict is undone, those beasts are unkillable. I have to think its a bug in the system, because I hadn't seen a creature recover its health like that before.

What makes it more frustrating is my power armor is useless since I don't have any power cores. This is the second time I had power cores disappear out of my inventory, I don't know why :(

I really don't know why they rushed this game out with all the bugs it has.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm so frustrated right now. I've had about 5 fusion cores disappear out of my inventory, and I'm doing a BOS quest - Defiance has Fallen. I'm in their building and I'm getting over-run by glowing mole rats. What's frustrating is that my melee weapon is doing 0 damage, and while my rifles are doing damage - at least initially, then the mole rat's health goes back to 100%. That is, any damage I inflict is undone, those beasts are unkillable. I have to think its a bug in the system, because I hadn't seen a creature recover its health like that before.

What makes it more frustrating is my power armor is useless since I don't have any power cores. This is the second time I had power cores disappear out of my inventory, I don't know why :(
That definitely sounds frustrating. I have an issue with weapons, especially shotguns or combat rifles not dealing damage to certain enemies (mole rats, ghouls and scorched) when they are in point blank range... there are definitely some adjustments that need to be made there. I don’t use melee as much but when I do I have had intermittent luck with those weapons.

And the disappearing fusion cores definitely sounds like a weird bug. I have 24 fusion cores in my stash, and only carry 2-3 at a time and so far none have disappeared. And you definitely need the power armor with fusion cores later on with some of the high level armors. If I was on the same server I would give you a few of mine! I certainly don’t need 24 of them right now. Lol.
[doublepost=1543123425][/doublepost]
I really don't know why they rushed this game out with all the bugs it has.
I do have to agree that the bugs should’ve been worked out a bit better at first. Bethesda is known for bugs, but there are an awful lot at launch. Especially when you compare this to any other new game titles, this amount of bugs would sink a game normally. A longer beta period would have been wise.

All we can do now is wait patiently for the patch updates.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Were the molerats legendary? They usually have the ability to heal up.
Tbh, I don't remember, I don't think so, it also seems unusual to have something like 4 - 6 legendary mole rats inside a building at one time. The funny thing is that when I first went to the building there were no creatures, the place was empty, but a bug forced me to leave the game and go back in it. The scorchers respawned outside and I had to re-dispatch them, and then these creatures were there and were impossible to kill. If it was only one of them, I probably could have worked at killing it, but there was so many that I was getting attacked at every angle and none of them were incurring any long term damage.

I have 24 fusion cores in my stash, and only carry 2-3 at a time and so far none have disappeared. A
I don't have that many, but I accumulated about 15, I'm down to almost half of that, as I had carried 3 or so with me and in both cases, they were not in my inventory.
[doublepost=1543144825][/doublepost]
I do have to agree that the bugs should’ve been worked out a bit better at first. Bethesda is known for bugs, but there are an awful lot at launch. Especially when you compare this to any other new game titles, this amount of bugs would sink a game normally. A longer beta period would have been wise.

I'm taking a break from the game, that last episode has left a bad taste in my mouth. There are positive elements to the game, but right now the negatives are pushing me away. I think the beta period was more of a marketing mechanism then an actual beta process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a positive note, I've largely run into very friendly folks on the map, most wave and give other positive feedback. I've only come across one or two griefers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm taking a break from the game, that last episode has left a bad taste in my mouth. There are positive elements to the game, but right now the negatives are pushing me away. I think the beta period was more of a marketing mechanism then an actual beta process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a positive note, I've largely run into very friendly folks on the map, most wave and give other positive feedback. I've only come across one or two griefers.
I think (at least I am really hoping) that the bugs are largely patched in the next 3-6 months. After that this game will be a more playable game. I myself will keep playing, but I can see how some of these bugs could really ruin the playing experience. I have seen several bugs, but most I can live with for now.

Also, I have had the same experience with other players, I have actually not run into a single griefer and everyone else I have ran into has been friendly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It looks like FO76 is heavily discounted and that has people on the Bethesda forum going ape poop this weekend. I see their point, two weeks after launch its price is cut nearly in half. I wonder if Bethesda is getting really worried or desperate, the reviews have been very unkind, people's feedback and YT videos as I've stated in the past have been down right hostile to the game.

upload_2018-11-26_7-11-37.png

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
People at the top wants money in.
It doesn't look like they'll be making much money. Seems like Bethesda laid an egg.

After A Historically Bad Launch, Is 'Fallout 76' Worth Saving?

UK sales over 80% of Fallout 4. I can't post a link because my company blocks gaming sites, but if you google that, you'll see multiple hits
upload_2018-11-27_7-8-45.png

The game went from being reviled by early adopters, to being eviscerated by critics and consumers alike. Its assumed that Bethesda is in panic mode over this, since this not what they expected. I would venture a guess that many people who have purchased the game are walking away from it - based on my unofficial observation that the servers are looking more empty these past few days then during the rollout of the game.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
It is always surprising at how inapt people in charge can be.
There seems to be a lot of finger pointing, and armchair quarterbacking occurring in the youtube universe. My take on it is that Bethesda tried to craft a game that would appeal to the Fallout faithful, MMO/MMORPG, and PVP fans all at the same time. In not defining the game, and trying to please everyone they ended up pleasing no one.

Edit: Let me just add, that the timing of the release, played into how bad the game was received. Red Dead Redemption 2 was release a week more or less before Fallout 76 and the developer went well beyond everyone's expectations in crafting the game. Then we have Fallout 76 and the shortcomings seemed even more glaring in the light of Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
There seems to be a lot of finger pointing, and armchair quarterbacking occurring in the youtube universe. My take on it is that Bethesda tried to craft a game that would appeal to the Fallout faithful, MMO/MMORPG, and PVP fans all at the same time. In not defining the game, and trying to please everyone they ended up pleasing no one.

Edit: Let me just add, that the timing of the release, played into how bad the game was received. Red Dead Redemption 2 was release a week more or less before Fallout 76 and the developer went well beyond everyone's expectations in crafting the game. Then we have Fallout 76 and the shortcomings seemed even more glaring in the light of Red Dead Redemption 2
So personally I think the biggest issue right now is are the bugs, those need to get worked out ASAP. I have been playing for a bit now and there are sooo many bugs, and several times I have had my game crash (on console).

As for the story, I don't mind it (actually I have enjoyed the environmental story-telling so far) and while it isn't Fallout 4, I am willing to stick around to see what DLCs they can come out with. This game has potential, and I think if they can treat the bug issues then maybe Youtubers and others might lay off Bethesda's back a bit more. Also, I only watch Youtube with a grain of salt, as the videos that garner the most attention tend to be the negative ones, so Youtubers tend to focus on the bad more than any good news.

Having said that, I agree, the game needs some improvements, but I seriously hope that the bad publicity and poor sales don't prevent Bethesda from providing quality updates for this game. This could become the next No Man's Sky if people give it a chance, but with all the bugs I can see how that would be a turn off for a bunch of players, especially when you have Red Dead to compete with...

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Also, I only watch Youtube with a grain of salt, as the videos that garner the most attention tend to be the negative ones, so Youtubers tend to focus on the bad more than any good news.
Provocative content certainly drives revenues. Yet one cannot dismiss the fact that non-youtube reviews have largely been negative. The link above shows people are not buying the game on the same level as Fallout 4.

I believe the bugs and unfinished, nature of the game, is causing a lot of complaints, however the gameplay itself is heavily criticized, whether we're talking about PVP, lack of compelling story, or the complete emptiness of the map. Its hard to get emotionally involved in the game when there's just robots and creatures.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I ran into an interesting bug, I played last evening with none of my missions available nor could I activate new ones. I was literally just wandering around the West Virginia Wasteland.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
If you're on Twitter you should follow Bethesda. They're running posts for players letting everyone know what's upcoming in the updates department. There are two updates coming out in early December. No doubt some bugs will be addressed as well as some new features.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/articl.../fallout-76-inside-the-vault-november-27-2018

Fallout 76: Inside the Vault – November 27, 2018
A huge thanks to all of you who have been playing Fallout 76 and embarking on this journey with us. Millions of you are playing the game, and playing it a lot. We love hearing your stories, sharing your photos, and fighting alongside you in the quest to rebuild Appalachia.

As we continue to read your feedback and watch your streams, we understand there are also a number of frustrating issues. We want you to know that we’re committed to rolling out fixes and features on a regular basis, and implementing changes based on your feedback. We also continue to work on an incredible list of updates for the game, including new quests and events, new Vaults opening, a faction-based PvP system, and much more. We’re confident, with your support, we can make Fallout 76 an incredible experience for years to come.

Going forward, we’ll also be posting “Inside the Vault” articles like this one on a regular basis to keep you updated about what we’re working on.

Upcoming Patches
We’re eager to get improvements for Fallout 76 into your hands as soon as we can. Even though we’re sharing some patch dates with you today, please keep in mind that timing may shift based on a variety of reasons, like server stability or other needs. If anything changes, we’ll be sure to let folks know here on the official website and our social media channels as we get closer to each release.

Let’s take a look at what’s coming up over the next few weeks:

December 4, 2018
Next week’s update will bring an increase to the Stash limit, as well as a variety of performance and stability improvements, balance changes, and multiple bug fixes to the game. We’ll have full patch notes available later this week ahead of Tuesday’s update. Some notable issues being addressed in this update include:

• Stash Limit Increased: We know many of you have been asking for an adjustment to the Stash storage limit, and we’re happy to share that we’re increasing it from 400 to 600. While this is somewhat conservative, we plan to increase the storage cap further once we verify that this change will not negatively impact the stability of the game.
  • Boss Loot: Players should correctly receive two to three items after taking down a boss, depending on the creature’s difficulty and level.
  • Cryolator Effects: Players hit with the Cryolator are now Chilled, Frosted, or Frozen depending on how many times they are hit. The duration of movement speed reductions applied by these effects have also been decreased from 2 hours to 30 seconds.
  • Respawning When Overencumbered: We’ve resolved an issue affecting players who die while overencumbered that only allowed them to Respawn at Vault 76. Now, overencumbered players will be able to respawn at the nearest discovered Map Marker.
  • Stuck in Power Armor: We’ve addressed an issue in this patch that could cause players to become stuck inside Power Armor. We’re also aware that there are some additional cases where this can occur, and we are actively investigating them.
December 11, 2018
The next update after December 4 is currently planned for the following week. Like previous patches, it will include a variety of bug fixes, but we’re also planning to bring some more notable changes and features to the game. You can catch a preview of these improvements below, and a full list of changes will be included in the December 11 patch notes.

• PC Additions: A Push-to-Talk setting for Voice Chat, 21:9 resolution support, and a Field of View setting are all being implemented on PC with this update.
  • SPECIAL Respec: After level 50, you’ll be able to choose between a new Perk Card, or moving a SPECIAL point you had previously allocated.
  • C.A.M.P. Placement on Login: Your C.A.M.P. will no longer be automatically blueprinted and stored if someone is occupying your location when you log into a server. Instead, you’ll receive a notification that your space is occupied. If you decide to find a new home for your C.A.M.P. on that server, it will be free to do so. However, if you don’t attempt to place down your C.A.M.P., you will be able to switch to a new server where that spot is vacant and your C.A.M.P. will be fully assembled and waiting for you.
  • Bulldozer: This is a new C.A.M.P. feature that will allow you to remove small trees, rocks, and other obstructions so it’s easier to create and place your C.A.M.P. when and where you want it. You can also use the Bulldozer to clear these items from the surrounding area to make your C.A.M.P. feel more like home!
We know the size of our previous patch on November 19 was very large, and downloading it was a frustrating experience for many of you—especially those who primarily play Fallout 76 on consoles. We hear you, and we’re working to reduce our patch sizes going forward so that you can get back into game as soon as possible on patch days.

Thank you once again for continuing to share your thoughts about the game with us on the official forums, on social media, and other community channels. Keep it coming! Your feedback is a huge help as we continue to improve and iterate on Fallout 76.

We’ll see you in the Wasteland!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
If you're on Twitter you should follow Bethesda. They're running posts for players letting everyone know what's upcoming in the updates department. There are two updates coming out in early December. No doubt some bugs will be addressed as well as some new features.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/articl.../fallout-76-inside-the-vault-november-27-2018
I saw this on the Bethesda.net forums earlier today. I think this confirms my gut feeling that in the end this will be a solid game. Sure, it has more bugs than a game should at launch, but in the end Bethesda usually does its fans right. Just have to be patient, which unfortunately most people won’t be at first. I am looking forward to the updates (especially the Stash and Bulldozer improvements, and of course bug fixes).

Reactions: RootBeerMan

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I ran into an interesting bug, I played last evening with none of my missions available nor could I activate new ones. I was literally just wandering around the West Virginia Wasteland.

I run into that bug all the time. You have to quit the game entirely, in other words, close the application and restart to get your missions back. It's a PITA. And that's just one of the PITA's of this game.

New features had better be real NPC's and not just a bunch of robots scattered throughout this game. And speaking of scattered, how about adding more animals to kill, since you spend all your time either hungry or parched. If I wanted to play survival mode I would've picked that mode. Oh wait, you don't get to pick what mode you play, Bethesda decided we wanted to play the game like this, just like they decided we wanted to play online only.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think this confirms my gut feeling that in the end this will be a solid game
I'm not sold that this will be a solid game. I'm struggling to say why, without sounding like a hater, or beating a dead horse. I think the core problem is a flawed design and that it will take a lot of work for Bethesda to fix. Will we players give Bethesda the time to fix the game? Clearly the problems run so deep that it will take many months if not years. I don't think Bethesda has that much leeway. Other games are vying for people's attention such as Red dead redemption, and new games coming down the pike I think it will be difficult for Bethesda to keep their fan base engaged and still paying the game.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not sold that this will be a solid game. I'm struggling to say why, without sounding like a hater, or beating a dead horse. I think the core problem is a flawed design and that it will take a lot of work for Bethesda to fix. Will we players give Bethesda the time to fix the game? Clearly the problems run so deep that it will take many months if not years. I don't think Bethesda has that much leeway. Other games are vying for people's attention such as Red dead redemption, and new games coming down the pike I think it will be difficult for Bethesda to keep their fan base engaged and still paying the game.

I agree. However, I don't think it's a flawed design, but a flawed decision to try this "social experiment" that the developer decided to try out. You don't do experiments with loyal fans.

And yet I'm still struggling to play this game in a solo mode. Every once in awhile I have some idiot come up to me and slash or shoot me repeatedly to where I have to quit the game, which is VERY annoying. Bethesda didn't give a way to avoid their experiment in those cases. When I'm not dealing with that I'm off trying to find food and water CONSTANTLY ........

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I agree. However, I don't think it's a flawed design, but a flawed decision to try this "social experiment" that the developer decided to try out. You don't do experiments with loyal fans.
While I understand you’re point, I should point out that a lot of Fallout fans have wanted a co-op option, hence the “experiment”. Sometimes you have to try something and if it fails at least you gave it a shot.

I think maybe Bethesda would have been better off creating a true co-op like Tom Clancy’s: Ghost Wildlands, you can join a server with someone else for co-op or play true solo. And then they could have kept NPCs.

Also, either I have good luck, or you have had bad... I have ran into ALOT of players in my 30 hours of play, and not a single one has tried to grief me. We usually say hi and keep on walking.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think it's a flawed design,
I do think its a design issue. Bethesda in my opinion tried to make a game that would appear to single player Fallout fans, a game that had PVP, and a game that enticed MMO players. I don't think you can design a game that pleases everyone and that's what Bethesda tried to do.

I have some idiot come up to me and slas
I've been lucky, I've not had to much issues with griefers.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I think that the developers working on it would want to ship a product that is great in their eyes, and I seriously doubt that this is it. It has to have been "ship now, we want $$$!" from somewhere up high. Sure, a few bugs can be shipped, but not something like this.. o_O

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar

It appears the 400lbs stash limit was due to server stability. It's nice that we'll see a small bump and maybe more if it doesn't cause instability. I think in order to keep everyone on board Bethesda needs to continue the transparency and communication. This is a step in the right direction.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
They'll need a No Man's Sky level effort to turn this thing around, and I imagine it'll take the same amount of time.
Bethesda need less accountants, and more devs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ugh, I fired up the game, today and started playing. I was near summersville lake (north easterly of Charleston) an I climbed a lookout tower, guess what shows up? A scorched beast!!! I try to run down the stairs, but he created scorchers, and I didn't last long. I had a full inventory of junk including lots of adhesives and aluminum. I did not want to give up that, so I respawned and tried to fight the scorched beast but he was to high of a level, my weapons did absolutely nothing to him, and I died several times.

Lucky for me a couple of players at level 50 were in the neighborhood and that distracted the beast for me to run up the stairs of the watch tower for my junk and make a hasty retreat.

Last edited:
Reactions: RootBeerMan

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Ugh, I fired up the game, today and started playing. I was near summersville lake (north easterly of Charleston) an I climbed a lookout tower, guess what shows up? A scorched beast!!! I try to run down the stairs, but he created scorchers, and I didn't last long. I had a full inventory of junk including lots of adhesives and aluminum. I did not want to give up that, so I respawned and tried to fight the scorched beast but he was to high of a level, my weapons did absolutely nothing to him, and I died several times.

Lucky for me a couple of players at level 50 were in the neighborhood and that distracted the beast for me to run up the stairs of the watch tower for my junk and make a hasty retreat.
Yeah those scorchbeasts are something else... I am still a rank 31 so I haven't dare try to tackle one. I ran into one and it kept killing me until I respawned and was able to hide somewhere long enough for it to move on.

On a side note... if you want a lot of stimpaks, go to the third hangar of the Morgantown Airport... the one at the back with the medical center. You go through the one or two doors of that hangar, and there will be a red "explosives" crate there with a level 0 or level 1 lock. I found 22 stimpaks in there along with other meds, and other users are saying that there will be anywhere from 13 to 77 stimpaks that will respawn every 24 hours in that crate. It will likely get patched eventually as it seems like too many, but heck, stimpaks are pretty scarce in this game.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.