Better, AT&T or Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Dec 28, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So, I finally convinced my parents to buy iphones but which is the better place to go, Apple or AT&T? I'm thinking Apple is the better place but would there be a reason to go to AT&T instead?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Same phone
    Same service plans

I prefer dealing with Apple and it is convenient for me

3. TaylorSp macrumors newbie

Theres really not much of a difference. The only thing that I can think of is that when you buy in person from the AT&T store, it is more likely that the phone has been sitting in the store for a few weeks, than if you ordered it online from Apple. The process of activation shouldn't be much different either.

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Heh, I meant going into the Apple store.

And I was just wondering which one would get you better service (I realize you'll get the same phone).

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If it were me, I'd go to the Apple store for a better experience. However, most Apple stores are crowded almost always when compared to the AT&T stores.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Go to an Apple store. They'll be more crowded than an AT&T store but at least you'll get people that are somewhat knowledgeable about the products they're selling. Everytime I've gone into an AT&T store for something they always try and finagle you into getting some bogus add on service or accessory before you leave. Always a hassle IMO. Plus, Apple stores are more fun.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, only one of those stores will have big shiny iMacs to play with before you buy the phone...

8. BIRDinho macrumors regular

When i purchased my iPhone 4, 2 days before Christmas at the AT&T store, they had a promotion where you receive 2 free accessories with the purchase of AppleCare. Applecare for the iPhone was $69 I believe, and I received a $35 case and $30 car charger at no charge. I believe the promo is still running.

9. alongston macrumors newbie

I went to AT&T because it was closer than the Apple store. I figured if I was getting phone service it was more convenient to do it that way in case I had any questions about the phone plans and combining my plan with my spouses.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The apple store will give you a better "experience", but at&t will be less crowded and can handle anything associated with your account better (such as student or work discounts and changing plans). Up to you, but I would just go to AT&T, the only I go to the apple store is when it's launch day because of availability.

11. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

going to the apple store is the best part about buying an iphone!

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

The Apple guys generally actually know what they're talking about so go there. Or order it online and then you actually get to open the box yourself and activate it yourself.

13. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

The malls are usually where the Apple Stores are, and I would imagine that in most places they're packed this week so parking could be annoying. Otherwise, like many responders, I really enjoy going to the Apple Store more than the ATT store. At the ATT store you also risk your parents having second thoughts and deciding to look at other phone models that provide them with all they think they will every need for less money, and obviously this sort of temptation needs to be avoided at all costs.

For pure convenience, there's nothing easier than ordering online from the Apple site, and you can activate the phones for them through iTunes. For me the deciding factor would be which experience, knowing them, you think would most please your parents and make them most enthusiastic about using all of the iPhone's potential. Depending on their comfort level with technology, it might help for them to have one of the Apple folks take them through the phone instead of you (since a prophet hath no honor in his home), introduce them to the Genius Bar (older people tend to find the availability of real people to provide service when needed to be very comforting), and even talk to them about the availability of one-on-one instruction if either of them feels it's needed.

Congratulations on getting them on board--maybe I'll ask you to talk to my mother. :)

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm the kind of person who would rather go to AT&T. The Apple Store is too far and crowded for me when I could simply do it in 5 minutes at the AT&T store. Also, it would seem to me that AT&T would have more freedom handling your account if needed.

15. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, my parents decided to go to AT&T yesterday cause they didn't want to bother with the Apple store and AT&T didn't have the phone so they debated some more and decided against the phone. Ah well. They probably would not have taken near advantage of the phone.