Better iP6 Battery "Conditioning"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davistld01, Oct 2, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

The battery in the iPhone is a lithium battery, right? I've heard it batted around for years that you cannot "condition" a lithium ion battery so that battery life will be improved. Then again I've heard folks who swear after draining their batteries down to where the phone shuts down completely and doing a charge back to 100%...and doing that routine several times in a row has mproved their battery life significantly.

Which is correct? My iPhone 6 is getting mediocre battery life, and I would love to get more if I could.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I've been doing:

1) Drain it all without charging out of the box
    2) Charge it up to 100%
    3) Drain all the way to 0
    4) Charge it up to 100%
    5) Drain all the way to 0
    6) Use the device as normal, charge when feel like it.
    7) Charge all the way to 100% before updating to iOS 8 and making sure its plugged in.

Whether that sequence helps or not, I think its the safest since usually with past lithium ion devices at least its recommended to charge to 100% fully from 0 at least one cycle. Myth or not, at least you have no regrets.

What is mediocre battery life? Mine lasts for at about 2 days. ~7.8 hours of use not including standby. I wish there was more, but at least it lasts for that long, hoping to get up to 10 with it with Fetch instead of Push email.

3. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

4. Fredo C macrumors member

This is a good question that I have been pondering as well. I've never given it any thought until now and my iPhone batteries have always aged well under heavy use.

From what I've read the rule of the thumb seems to be to not let it go under 50% to the extent possible, then charge it from 50 to close to 100%. Once month let it drop close to 0 then charge to 100%.

5. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

This is actually the worse thing you can do with a Li-ion battery, deep drains kill them quickly. The whole conditioning thing was applicable to older nickel battery technology but is a total myth with Li-ion.

6. Starfyre, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

**** .... just ****

So just keep it charged/plugged in when possible? Do you actually keep it plugged into a charger when your in the home?

THough I have noticed the battery improve in life after a each full cycle.

7. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

^ This guy is correct, small often charges are much better! If you want to be perfect keep between 40 and 80!

8. scaredpoet, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

*sigh* The old battery debate again.

Truth is, neither method (small drains/charges, or deep cycles) will cause more wear than the other, so long as either method is incorporated into normal and regular use. Two half-drains and half-charges will result in the same "wear" as one full deep drain/charge cycle.

So whichever method you want do is fine.

Two things that WILL kill your battery quickly is keeping it charged constantly and not using it, and draining it and then keeping it drained long-term.

It's fine to charge overnight and use during the day, but if you keep your phone plugged in for days, the longevity of that battery will get artificially shortened. And if you drain it completely and keep it drained for a long period, that might kill it. So if something happens and you need to store your phone for a long period of time (a week or more) the best thing to do is charge to around 50% and then store that way.

Otherwise, follow this, and you'll be fine:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Also: https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/ Under the section "It makes charging easier."

9. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Never let it get to zero and don't keep it at 100 for long periods of time

10. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I was told that car chargers were the worst for phone batteries.. something to do with the alternator not being constant enough.. is that a myth as well?

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes myth. the charges have a built in surge protector.

Unless you buy on of those 50c Chinese pieces of crap. God knows what's inside them.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So many myths and errors . . . .

Just use your phone and charge while sleeping. That is all!

There is nothing you can do the will significantly increase you battery capacity. Just use it and enjoy!

If you notice it turning off before it reaches very low, an "occasional" draining will help recalibrate the battery indicator. The rest is BS!

----------

Yhat is great if you are storing your device but not for daily use! It is kinda impracticable, too! WHo want to set there and watch you device charge? LOL!

13. Zxxv Suspended

how can you keep it between 40-80% if your using it?

unless your sat next to a wall socket that advice isn't reflective of real world use

----------

turn the battery indicator off helps too :D

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

There is no need to condition the battery as it already comes conditioned out of the box. You don't need to drain the battery as that uses your cycle count. Just charge it normally when you need to.

15. Grmnracing macrumors regular

The thing we all have to remember is 0% reading is not 0% battery. The phone is designed to shut off at a certain voltage. The battery is not actually completely drained when the phone shuts off.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I learned years ago that turning off the battery % decreased my stress and angst significantly

Now, I don't pay any attention to 'battery life' or how quick it drains, etc.
    I just use my device and make sure to charge it every night

17. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is the best advice so far.

18. Pluto88888 macrumors regular

I always charge my device once it's hit under 10% battery life.

19. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Yeah better turn it off. I turned it in now just to see how good the battery of the 6+ is. Now it has proven that there's no way I can drain it after a day with normal use, I don't need to see that % any more

20. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

The best thing to do is keep it as a routine. Personally, I don't like charging phones unless it's near the end of its life, so around at or below 20 percent. I always charge around that point and get it to 100 (or as close as I can).

Just don't mess around with its cycle that you routinely do and it should function properly for a long time.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So you will head out for a day of use with 20% left in your device?

Sorry but that in not good.

----------

So you would head out in the morning with 30% for the day?

That is crazy.

22. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I've been out with less than that lately on my Plus and it's been fine. I have access to charge centers and my Anker charger is on me.

Usually, though, I have it synched up to where I am usually at the near-maximum charge when I head out.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not ever going to carry a charger with me unless it is for extended trip.

24. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

I've been doing it since I got my Plus it's pretty easy especially when you have a big battery, I know not everyone has access to a charger at their work or school at any given time but for some people it is totally practical.

Also I posted a link to http://www.batteryuniversity.com that has plenty of information to support the 40-80% claim I made and some google searches will also show you the same thing, in fact it will make a HUGE difference in the longevity of your battery. If you want me to actually go and find specific articles within the site to support my claim I can. But perhaps you should do a little research on your own instead of saying things are false with zero evidence to back it up besides "Thats so impractical!! Who can read a battery gauge while its plugged in and then unlpug it!?!"

25. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Well, I'm pretty simple...I tend to hit the 20% warning popup right before bedtime each night of the work week, so I put it on there charger overnight, since my phone doubles as my alarm clock. I pull it off the cable at 6am each morning at 100%...and hit the day.

My original post is because although I'm getting a full days use out of my battery...unless I'm doing a lot of texting or emailing, or have more calls than normal. I hear of some people getting a lot more life out of their batteries & wonder what I'm doing wrong.