Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjoeyjiffy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Link for the lazy

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

This is great statistical information that shows a MASSIVE increase in discharge cycles when not letting your battery get too low or too full. I know for some people this isn't practical and obviously doing this 100% of the time isnt easy. But I can honestly say since I got my plus I have had no problem doing this as the battery lasts so long and an iPad charger charges it so fast!

I also work in a retail setting and plugging in my phone at any given time is easily done, so again I know your results may vary. But the OP wanted to know the best way to keep their battery healthy so don't dismiss information just because you don't think its practical.

EDIT: Just saw you were OP and in fact you were curious about things to prolong the life of a daily cycle and not longevity of the battery :) My bad, at any rate try using the 40-80 method if you can help it! Especially if you have an iPad charger it charges the phone wicked fast!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been doing it since I got my Plus it's pretty easy especially when you have a big battery, I know not everyone has access to a charger at their work or school at any given time but for some people it is totally practical.

Also I posted a link to http://www.batteryuniversity.com that has plenty of information to support the 40-80% claim I made and some google searches will also show you the same thing, in fact it will make a HUGE difference in the longevity of your battery. If you want me to actually go and find specific articles within the site to support my claim I can. But perhaps you should do a little research on your own instead of saying things are false with zero evidence to back it up besides "Thats so impractical!! Who can read a battery gauge while its plugged in and then unlpug it!?!"

A HUGE waste of time.

Charge while sleeping, done.

That is all.:apple:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Dont worry about it because you can't get a full days use out of a 4,5,6 series iPhone if you use it constantly. I don't know about the + but the 4,5,6 no way. You can if you use it every now and again but hard use not a chance. Most of the battery stats people are putting up are a game they are playing, get to the top of the battery stat leader board. Its a deliberate effort. You can fudge them too by following some simple steps

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19864572/

How to get the high score on the battery leader board

note step 1 and 2 are crucial for successfully moving to the top of the iPhone battery leaderboard. Failure to follow step 1 and 2 can result in unhappiness

Step 1 - charge your iPhone at night before bed
Step 2 - take iPhone off charge and goto bed
Step 3 - wake up and check your battery, smile
Step 4 - goto work or go about your day
Step 5 - in your day occasionally check your battery, smile
Step 6 - come home after a long day of work or play
Step 7 - check your battery, smile
Step 8 - do something light and not taxing on your iPhone
Step 9 - Check your battery before bed, smile
Step 10 - wake up an check your battery, sort of smile
Step 11 - do something in your day
Step 12 - check your battery, don't smile
Step 13 - start to worry you won't be on the leader board
Step 14 - check your battery
Step 15 - start to panic, start to worry
Step 16 - post your battery stats to macrumours seeking reassurance from others that your battery is fine
Step 17 - goto step 1

How to ruin your chances of being on the battery leader board

Step 1 - use your ****ing iPhone

mrjoeyjiffy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
A HUGE waste of time.

Charge while sleeping, done.

That is all.:apple:

You do know these batteries are not user removable right?

Honestly, why would you want to argue information you don't seem to know or care to know?

So bizarre... To each their own I guess.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Well, I'm pretty simple...I tend to hit the 20% warning popup right before bedtime each night of the work week, so I put it on there charger overnight, since my phone doubles as my alarm clock. I pull it off the cable at 6am each morning at 100%...and hit the day.

My original post is because although I'm getting a full days use out of my battery...unless I'm doing a lot of texting or emailing, or have more calls than normal. I hear of some people getting a lot more life out of their batteries & wonder what I'm doing wrong.

my post above (battery leader board) was meant as reply to you :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well, I'm pretty simple...I tend to hit the 20% warning popup right before bedtime each night of the work week, so I put it on there charger overnight, since my phone doubles as my alarm clock. I pull it off the cable at 6am each morning at 100%...and hit the day.

I've been doing the exact same thing you're doing over several years and several iPhone models, and never had a battery problem. You're doing it right.

My original post is because although I'm getting a full days use out of my battery...unless I'm doing a lot of texting or emailing, or have more calls than normal. I hear of some people getting a lot more life out of their batteries & wonder what I'm doing wrong.

What are your battery usage statistics saying? Is there a lot of usage that doesn't seem to be adding up to the actual use? Maybe there's an app you have that's really sapping the battery?

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
The iPhone 5 battery was easy to replace. Anyone know if the iPhone 6 battery is easy to replace as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.