Better Name for Portrait Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Sep 26, 2016.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

im surprised Apple hasn't come up with a catchy name for Portrait Mode, like how they called their high res screens "Retina".

I think they could have marketed the hell out of it by calling it "iSLR" or something along those lines. "With iSLR, you have a DSLR in your pocket at all times".

Portrait mode is generic sounding since all photos have Portrait and landscape orientations.

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

"Portrait mode" to me will always mean taking photos with the phone in the vertical orientation.

Bad choice of name, I agree.

3. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

In the photography world, a portrait is simply a photograph of a person - primarily a head and shoulders shot - which is exactly what the mode is for.

Also, the new iPhone is still nowhere near a DSLR, so the term iSLR would be horribly misleading. Still takes great shots, but not a DSLR.

Source: I'm a photographer

4. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Agreed, that is a very odd name for this mode. Macro-Mode? Extended Depth Mode (EDM?). I am sure Apple's marketing team could have come up with a nice (trademarked) name that would make more sense.

Why would this mode be aimed or suggested for the use of just portraits? That's ridiculous. Most of the artsy pictures that I take are not of people, and this mode will make these pics look very cool. The idea is to bring the subject forward, regardless of what (or who) the subject is.

So, I can't wait to take a 'portrait' of that abandoned brownstone standing alone on a deserted block. :rolleyes:

5. Hogg macrumors regular

Hogg

Yeah "portrait" is a bit odd for sure. Especially since it doesn't have to be a person as the main subject.

Samsung's Bokah effect mode is "Selective Focus". Little bit more catchy I guess.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

Magical Mode, only on the iPhone 7 Plus, the most sophisticated and advanced iPhone ever produced. (read in Jony Ive voice of course).

7. mjjferreira macrumors member

8. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

9. AaronChicago macrumors member

Makes sense in the photography world. I imagine the general public wouldn't know what that even means.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That would be inaccurate.

SL=Single Lense, iPhone7 got TWO.

R=Reflex, there is a mirror to bend the light 90 degrees, the iPhone7 has none.

IPhones' don't even have a commonly available stabilizer. Don't get suck in by the hype.

11. edhawk1965 macrumors member

Don't you mean Fokeh mode, as in fake bokeh

12. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

The general public also had no idea what chamfering was until Jony Ive used the term to describe the iPhone 5's edges. The public can learn new things.

13. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

"Fauxkeh Mode"

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can't win either way. They'd get derided if they named it "Bokeh" when it's fake/stimulated.

15. bzavala macrumors member

16. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You're right. I just wish they'd stop making screens out of human retinas.

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

When I saw the title of this thread I thought "vertical mode? But that's not really better." Then I clicked it and realized you were talking about the new camera feature.

Definitely poor choice for a name.

18. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

It's like the different features on the face of an Apple Watch being called complications. It seems weird at first, but it's just the jargon and terminology of the industry.

Just like the term complication, Apple didn't come up with portrait. That's just what it is. Portrait has more than one meaning.

19. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

iSLR wouldn't make any sense anyways, because SLR = single lens reflex, which makes zero sense on a smartphone camera. I'm also a photographer, and for me when I hear "portrait mode" all I think of is someone holding the photo in portrait orientation. Since in the photography world, no one uses "portrait mode", they do/take "portraits".

Since this new software tool isn't exclusive to just portraits, I think the name choice is poor. It should be called depth of field mode.

20. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

And that would remove the "D" from "DSLR" which stands for "digital"... which is the one part of "DSLR" that actually applies to the iPhone.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm not saying they created that word. I'm saying they should have come up with something else, especially when it's used for so much more than just portraits.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's two words too many. I see nothing wrong with Bokeh even though it's fake/stimulated, but they obviously had their reasons.

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I only dislike the name bokeh for this mode because 1, a lot of people will pronounce it wrong, and 2, bokeh refers to the quality of the background blur, while this is just blurring the background.

24. jerry16, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Which is why I said it's nowhere near a DSLR

Apple has it labeled as "portrait" not "portrait mode".

Also, has Apple itself provided any images that weren't a portrait of someone? Don't remembering seeing any during the keynote, but I'm honestly not sure if they have since. If they haven't, then who is to say apple intends for it to be used as anything but a head and shoulders tool? Not saying that it can't or shouldn't but rather if Apple's intentions for this feature is head and shoulders, then they hit the nail on head with the name.

IMG_0152.JPG
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    I get that, but has Apple provided images of anything other than head and shoulder shots? If not, who's to say that Apple intended for it to be used for anything else? Not saying that it can't or that it shouldn't, but if Apple only intended it to be used for head and shoulders than it's a perfect name.