Better Processor or Better Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by accessoriesguy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Alright, so i hear a lot of complains about the iPhone getting slow when the RAM is used up.

We all pretty much agree that the next iPhone will have the iPad processor.

But what would you guys really prefer.

Would you guys want the new latest and greatest processor with more RAM.
    Or would you guys prefer the same processor with more RAM so it is more functional and a new "better" battery?

What would you guys prefer? Assume we get more RAM in either case.

Better Processor or Better Battery? :apple:

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Processor. Assuming it's dual core (which the next iPhone will most likely have) it'll help the battery as well.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apparently a dual core processor at a lower speed is more powerful and efficient than a single core processor. You won't notice any differences with a dual core processor to the battery life.
    I'll take a dual core A5, please. :)

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I can last two days on a full charge (and I'm jailbroken) so if I had to choose one I'd say better processor. I could live with a little less battery. :)

6. aleni macrumors 68020

apple never sacrifice. you got a better battery and better processor on every iPhones released. from 2g to 4.

well current A4 is speedy enough for easy tasks and apps. but i feel it's slow enough now when u try to play rainbow six and backstab from gameloft. is it because of the processor unable
    to cope with those games? or is it that gameloft being crappy in coding?

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

Battery life, all day.

Battery is getting left behind by better processors. Improving battery life is to prepare for 4G/LTE and more graphic intensive games.

I think this multi-core race is still a gimmick especially from Android OEM's the same way a 12MP may not always mean it takes better pictures over a 5MP shooter. Only geeks love this stuff for bragging rights. And even then, this "race" in their mind is never over. Tech always improves. The typical users wouldn't know if they had a Tegra 2 chip and would they even really care or notice a huge difference? Remember in video game consoles when the inferior specs and more affordable price usually sold the most in that generation?

The Motorola Atrix has dual core and its battery life isn't even as long as the Droid X which is on a single core. And a 2-3 second faster difference opening up a website is no big deal. Give me double the battery life first to cater for this newer technology. Then we can talk about doubling the cores.

Is dual core = overkill?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1077792

Are upcoming smartphone and tablet processors overkill?
    http://www.phonedog.com/2011/04/18/are-upcoming-smartphone-and-tablet-processors-overkill/

8. allthatjazz macrumors regular

9. singlestick macrumors regular

Battery life, if I had to choose. An easy choice, by the way.

10. allthatjazz macrumors regular

Two whole days? Do you use your phone at all? I'm lucky if it lasts around 20 hours stand-by, 7 hours usage.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Any reason we can't have both? Generally newer processors are built on a smaller-scale process, so when idle they consume less power than their physically larger counterparts.

12. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

These processors are about the same size I believe because they fit on the same mobo die. Right now I believe we are at around 22NM? but ivy bridge is coming soon. also the same size, but the following one will be smaller.

it's hard to tell because apple uses ARM processors, so these are already customized. They can be smaller or larger than the industry standards just to fit the needs of the ipad/iphone.

But your right generally technology either gets smaller, and/or more efficient. But power and battery life between a smart phone has always been a case anyways so I decided to see if people were willing to not get as much of a processor upgrade for a longer battery life.

13. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Proccessor. Usually helps the battery anyway.

14. Heston macrumors regular

You must live where signal sucks. I live in Chicago and my phone's dead at the end of the day. It's pretty sad, actually.

15. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Battery life for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I would absolutely go for a battery battery every time, and here's why: that A4 or A5 isn't doing anything when you run out of juice. Plain and simple.

Any portable device with a battery, my primary concern and area of interest is the battery. However, when a battery isn't of concern, like in a desktop, give me the greatest processor any day. :p

P.S., this thread should absolutely have a poll!

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

A tough one, but I'd take a bigger battery. The battery gains by going A5 with the CPU, surely cannot be as great at a bigger battery. I hate managing features, just to make this thing last a day.
    But human nature dictates that we always want what we don't have, so if I have one, I'd bemoan the lack of the other. :D

18. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Battery Life Mophie Juice Pack Air

I really like the extra battery life I now have with the Mophie. Sure it makes the phone bulkier, but for me, it's worth it to never worry about battery life.

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I agree BergerFan.

I'd MUCH rather have a bigger battery. Dual core whatever is a nice touch but the iPhone 4 is plenty fast already and of course, what good is a faster processor if your battery is dead? A bigger battery would give much better improvement in battery life than a dual core processor would.

Keep improving battery life first and foremost... then comes speed.

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm kinda greedy so I'll have both thank you very much !

:D

21. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

we can see improvement in processor with every new version but no significant improvement in battery life, so my vote would be for improved battery life.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The iPhone 4 battery life far exceeds that of any other iPhone by quite a great deal.

23. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

depending on the usage, increasing in the RAM can increase overall performance. It would be cool if they did just that. :rolleyes:

24. Centient macrumors 6502

Better battery, and/or someway to charge without plugging in to an outlet.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

a new processor will also help w/ battery life. ;) :cool: