Better Resale? Mac Pro or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Nov 13, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Just curious which mac computer holds its value better? A Mac Pro or an iMac?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say Mac Pro due to its upgradeability

3. toxic macrumors 68000

from what I've seen, I don't think it differs much, but 90% of a $1500 iMac loses you less money than 90% of a $3000 Mac Pro.

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I think it would be harder to sell the mac pro just because it's a limited market out there compared to the average consumer who just needs an iMac or something. Could be wrong though.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it depends, if you plan to hold on to your Mac Pro longer due to upgradability... other newer tech will be out before you "want" to upgrade to a whole new machine...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It doesn't really matter because you will still have to pay more money up front anyways (if you go Mac Pro)

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

We have a local computer shop that is selling used G4 and G5 Mac Pros and used G4, G5 and Intel iMacs. They are asking $799 for the Aluminum Intel iMacs, $639 for the white Intel iMacs, $399 and $499 for the G4 and G5 iMacs and $499 for the G4 and G5 Mac Pros. I know I threw out a lot of prices here but basically the Mac Pros are fetching the same as the iMacs of the same era. Based on this limited sample, Mac Pros are not holding their value as well as iMacs.

They had a handful of xserve machines but they weren't priced yet. Somebody came in yesterday and bought 5 of the Intel iMacs. If I were looking for a computer, I would focus on what I need more than resale.

I don't like iMacs because you gotta replace everything when you upgrade and you wind up paying for the monitor over again. I don't like Mac Pros because they are huge so if I had to choose between an iMac and a Mac Pro, I'd go for the iMac every time.