Better resale value in 3 months: Air or rMPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danthespaceman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. danthespaceman macrumors member

I plan on purchasing a 13" Haswell rMBP when they are finally released in September / October, but I need something to tie me over until then. I could get by on a current rMBP or MBA and sell it when the Haswell rMBP finally arrives, but I'm not sure which one will hold its value better in the short time I own it. The newer Air or the older, more desirable Retina?

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

What makes you think their is a new one sept/oct. Most thought it was going to be a few moths ago. Its all Guess work unless you know someone inside Apple?

Retina.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

MBA will have better resale value, since it will still be current gen.

Get the lowest spec model you can get by with.

4. EasyRider macrumors regular

EasyRider

Best bet is to find a deal on a used one... when it's time to sell you might not have much of a loss at all.

If you can find a used Haswell Air, that's what I would get while waiting for new rMBP.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Here is your answer.

6. alex0002 macrumors 6502

One more vote for finding a good deal on a used one. If you get a good quality used cMBP or MBA the new rMBP shouldn't affect the resale much at all.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need a computer now and wanting to maximize your resale value then the MBA is probably the best bet because it is based on the haswell as the others stated.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In general, the closer generation used models are, the better they resale. In this case, as stated, if you buy right now and hope to sell it in a few years, Haswell CPUs will be close to that generation, so go with that (regardless which Mac has it).

9. danthespaceman thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I know no one knows for sure, but most of the recent MacRumors articles have been pointing to a Sept/Oct release.

10. scbond macrumors 6502

If you need A computer then a cheap, used Windows PC will tide you over and cost you the least.

11. danthespaceman thread starter macrumors member

Cost isn't really the issue, I'm more concerned with getting as much money back as i can when I sell the machine.

Besides, my entire workflow is geared around OS X apps so a Windows PC doesn't make much sense in my situation.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

I'll second the recommendation for a used machine especially because you plan on selling it for the new one anyway. You'll lose less value that way.

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Definitely the air. As soon as the new rMBPs are announced, the resale value of the older ones will drop. Since the air is freshly updated and wont be updated in the fall, the resale value wont be affected by the rMBP update.

14. scbond macrumors 6502

Let me rephrase then...If money is an issue. If you want as much back then either wait and spend nothing or get the cheapest thing available and spend very little. It's ridiculous to buy something expensive to tide you over for a few months when you know you'll replace it and lose some money.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

the cheapest laptop from apple you can get will have the best resale. Therefore I would buy a used cMBP 13" that still has applecare off of ebay. If you want to buy from Apple buy a refurb last gen air

16. Cubytus macrumors 65816

I doubt people buying used Macs are too concerned about CPU generation, as if they did, they surely wouldn't buy used. They are money-strapped people who want a Mac, but can't afford the brand new ones, and are ready to compromise on something to get a lower price tag.
    And MacRumors doesn't represent what most Mac buyers are, i.e. people wanting a machine that "simply works". Haswell or not, I doubt there will be a revolution, rather than an evolution running the latest OS X on any recent CPU.

If you're in for a few months only, I'd say buy the cheapest Mac you can get, provided it has a good look as it will count a lot in retaining resale value. Bonus points if it still has warranty (stock or AppleCare).

Or if you really don't mind about resale and comfort, any Windows PC would do the trick.