Better to get iphone 4 now or in 3 weeks ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macman4291, Jul 28, 2010.

  1. macman4291 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #1
    I ordered one to be shipped to my house and it wont ship until August 16, or i could cancel that order and get one at my local apple store now. What do you suggest, is there any benefit to waiting (like hardware change)
     
  2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

    Knowimagination

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
  3. macman4291 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #3
    My situation is that I would wait if they were doing slight antenna changes to the hardware in newer built ones, but if there will be nothing different then i gess it doesnt matter
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    there's no reason to think there's going to be anything different. get it when you want it.
     
  5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

    Knowimagination

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #5
    I am in the camp that thinks there will be no differences until iPhone 5, but even if there were a revision it certainly isn't going to happen in 3 weeks.
     
  6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
  7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

    LordOBoogie

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
  8. macman4291 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #8
    Why is it that some people on the boards were talking about checking to see your iphones built date on new threads, like something about 30th or past is different?
     
  9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

    LordOBoogie

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    #9
    I got my iPhone 4 on June 23, the day before launch. I have NO issues. Some people seem to think it has something to do with the week it was built, but that theory was debunked. Just get one. Chances are you'll love it.
     
  10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

    bowlerman625

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL area
  11. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #11
    Get it now. They aren't going to do a hardware fix, and if they did they they would have to fix yours also. If the media found out that they werent fixing older phones then they would get the worst PR imaginable so if they fixed it then they would have to fix yours also. You minus well just get it and enjoy it now.
     
  12. macman4291 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #12
    If you buy at the Apple Store, do they open the box up and activate it in the store. I had a bad experience once time with the last iphone, th greasey apple guy like got his greasey fingers all over my brand new 3G one and it pissed me off. I liked the idea of it being shipped because then no one would have handled it yet
     
  13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

    Knowimagination

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #13
    Apple will activate it before you leave. I bought mine at Best Buy and simply asked if I could activate at home and the guy said sure, so I walked out still in the shrink wrap.

    But as long as they don't peal the shields off I wouldn't worry about them activating in store all that much.
     
  14. samcraig macrumors P6

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    #14
    There's no reason to wait.

    The iPhone 4 is not going to have any public or secret design change.

    The only thing under consideration by Apple is whether or not to continue the bumper program after the 30th.

    They might. They might include a bumper in the case. Or they might just not offer a bumper at all.

    And before people say "Hey - they can't stop giving away free bumpers - there's still an 'issue'" - I explained this on another thread.

    In short - Apple responded to the outcry of people who bought the iPhone before knowing there was any issue. They insist there IS NO issue. But in good faith, they are providing bumpers.

    However - now that the media has made the issue very much aware - anyone buying it now will already be aware of the issue and that "all phones...."

    So Apple could easily just stop the bumper program and state that you can buy the iPhone or not buy the iPhone.

    The people who are getting bumpers now are still people who bought before they could have known.

    My .02
     
  15. bushbaby macrumors 6502

    bushbaby

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Location:
    SoCal
    #15
    I would wait. There are a lot of issues beyond just the antennae/connectivity problem. I'm an iPhone user, Mac user, and I trust they will fix these things.

    Jobs thought Sept 30 might be the date they could stop giving away the bumpers, but would be re-evaluated. So if it were me, I would wait if you're not in a hurry. I also prefer buying at the store because you build a relationship at that store. If you have to do a return, they usually do not take the returns for the online buys at the store.
     
  16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

    wirelessmacuser

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Location:
    Planet.Earth
    #16
    The age old tech question, wait or buy now?

    It's a crap shoot. Me? I'd wait since it's not that fast away. Especially given the circumstances.
     
  17. x986 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2008
    Location:
    NorCal
    #17
    Wait. It's only two weeks. My first phone had a big Prox. Sen. problem. Week 27 build. My second phone rarely exhibits a PS problem. Week 27 build. To me that says QC issue with hardware. That WILL be addressed.
     
  18. traveller09 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #18
    I say wait, if it can be fixed or improved with a relatively minor modification (not a major redesign) they will fix it. They would be stupid not to, they can’t afford another antenna eruption to occur.
     
  19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

    SAD*FACED*CLOWN

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #19
    bad advice.....no fix commeth
     
  20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

    SAD*FACED*CLOWN

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #20
    actually they WOULD be stupid to fix it...after vehemently stating there's no design flaw and the absurd videos of other cell phones dropping signals...and not to mention that the 3-4 million iPhone owners on the street would demand satisfaction...not likely to change anything until next summer
     
  21. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
  22. traveller09 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #22
    The fact is they have a design problem, IF and only if it can be fixed with a minor mod they will fix it. They will want to fix their product with a real fix instead of being dependent on a PR campaign fix. They can’t afford to have to deal with a bad design for a whole year IF a simple mod can be rolled in to their production system. If there isn't a simple mod that will fix the problem, then I agree no changes will be made until iPhone 5.
     
  23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

    SAD*FACED*CLOWN

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #23
    son....I'm assuming you've seen the new iPhone? the antenna is outside the phone, there is no minor mod tweak to change that...all the hooplah about coating it and insulating it just are more band aids....and Apple won't do a recall, so again what about the iPhones that have already been sold? I seriously doubt Apple will be able to launch in new countries if they have to replace 3-4 million iphones in North America...even though my iPhone 4 works fine I can assure you that if Apple pops out a new version before next summer me and everyone I know will be at an Apple store DEMANDING a new "fixed" iPhone. Wouldn't you?

    forgive me if my response seems terse
     
  24. iTouch macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #24
    I will try to pick one up this week or next. I want to get one before Apple starts to ship with 4.1, which might be a problem for jailbreaking/unlocking. So I will have to stare at the box until it's released.
     
  25. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #25
    If you wait three weeks you might as well wait for the Iphone 5. See by then everything will be better and faster and cooler.:rolleyes:
     

Share This Page