• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With the release of Apple's newest device, AirPort Express, alongside AirTunes wireless audio broadcasting capabilities, MacWorld Editor Jason Snell speculates about potential directions Apple and other developers could take this technology.

Where does Apple go from here? The sky's the limit. And I'm sure that numerous developers are already scrambling to fill the needs that Apple doesn't address. A remote control for pausing, skipping tracks, and the like is a must. A display that shows what's currently playing and what's up next would be awfully nice.

Based on conversations with Greg Joswiak, Apple appears to be aware of the logical steps beyond this basic framework... but wants to first establish this product.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
it could be the next gen ipod..

Airport card in the ipod. Steaming to it, streaming from it. Control your airport express. :D

It would be silly to have another device. People don't want to carry a 100 things in their pocket

Comment

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
i agree

also a remote would not be needed if the ipod was the device streaming youur music.

i'm getting one as soon as they are released.

Comment

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
remote remote remote!!! and it would have to be able to display all the songs/albums/genres/playlists/etc just like the ipod. Or give the ipod a wifi card and i'll play my music from there (this would be my personal preference as it would also be sweet to have the same setup in the car). That's all I need to be happy so get to work Apple.

Comment

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
That would be great with wireless iPods. Maybe they'll work in the ability to use the iTMS right on the iPod :D
It seems like they wouldn't make another major design update for these things, I think they are great just the way they are. Maybe wireless would be in place of a huge design makeover.

edit: wording

Comment

craig-e

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2004
How about this for the setup? The new Imac is launched, It has a detachable, tablet like display. You put all your music onto it, once you take your display off the machine, that becomes your remote, possibly with a dock to keep the battery topped up.

This would be the best way to sell more of the flagging Imac models.
:D

Comment

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Lots of wishful thinking going on...

For a remote, how about a Keyspan Digital Media Remote . It already works with iTunes. Can be purchased separately. Supports a company that makes cool products for macs. I am an Apple whore, but want a thriving third-party community for Mac products.

Then feel free to spend around $300 for a big led display, like this one... . You can write an applescript to update the sign. You would need to connect it via serial cable, but the good thing about rs-232 (once you have an adapter to usb) is that it works over fairly long distances (yards, not miles). I am sure a smaller display could be found.

Thinking about it, I see what many of you want, you want apple to make a slimp3 competitor, or a TV home media option competitor. That product already exists. They won't do printer sharing or WDS (wireless backbone networks), but they will play your music and display what is playing.

I am ordering at least two AEs. One to connect to my receiver, and one for another room to connect to powered speakers. I hope someone comes up with some hacks for the AE so that I can send the sound of other apps to an AE. I would love to play a game on my laptop and hear the sound out of my home AV setup (HK220).

Comment

BeyondCloister

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
There would have to be a non iPod remote option.

The system has to work without an iPod being involved.

I for one would still want to b able to remotely control the music playing from my iMac when my wife has the iPod in the car.

Comment

PRØBE

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004
craig-e said:
How about this for the setup? The new Imac is launched, It has a detachable, tablet like display. You put all your music onto it, once you take your display off the machine, that becomes your remote, possibly with a dock to keep the battery topped up.

This would be the best way to sell more of the flagging Imac models.
:D

That would be the most humungous remote control ever invented.
Guess you would never lose it down the back of the sofa though.

The best way to sell more of the "flagging Imac models" would be to simply kit them out with decent specs for those who like to game, use Ilife and dabble in photoshop etc.

Comment

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
is the powerbook now the most expensive remote control in the house. works for me! :D

the iPod is the way to go surely tho'. am using it as such already, but with an iTrip, but wi-fi would be the way to go....

but seeing as we'll have had airport express, new powermacs, and european ITMS already this month, you wonder what they're keeping back for wwdc?

Iain

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Build some intelligence into it.

If I'm at home (networked with the machine that feeds my iPod) don't waste the power spinning up my iPod hard drive, just send the request from the iPod to stream the music from my Mac.

If I'm at a friends, source the music off the iPod drive.

If I'm at a party, queue up requests from multiple iPods and let everyone contribute in an orderly way.

Comment

BeyondCloister

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
duklaprague said:
but seeing as we'll have had airport express, new powermacs, and european ITMS already this month, you wonder what they're keeping back for wwdc?

WWDC is a developer event so I would expect it would be stuff relevant to development.

Comment

the silver fox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
uk
Salling Clicker

I currently use Salling Clicker ($20 - Salling Software) on my Sony Ericsson P800 to control iTunes, DVD player etc. Its scriptable too. It also pauses your music if you go out of bluetooth range.
The only current limitation is that the bluetooth range is only 10m. Fine in my reasonably large apartment, but not for big houses. I am working on a hack with a bluetooth repeater, which should get round the problem.

:cool:

Comment

Carlson-online

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Originally Posted by duklaprague

The Completely Awesome New Features Tiger will have. Oh, And iMac G5's of course :p

Comment

mr_bam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Wales, UK
AirTunes for all Application Sound??

Will AirTunes or the technology that runs it let ALL system sound be played on our fancy HiFi speakers?

I see lots of applications for this in a GarageBand / Logic Pro studio situation. I don't mean put your song into iTunes 4.6 first. I mean while you're mixing your tracks and composing.

Will it work?? Does anybody know yet? That would be a great feature and I'd buy it if I knew it would work. But I don't want to just be able to use iTunes for sound. I'm happy attaching my iPod to decent speakers already for normal songs.

Comment

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
BeyondCloister said:
WWDC is a developer event so I would expect it would be stuff relevant to development.

This doesn't really apply to the keynote IMO. The keynote is just a general, mostly non-technical, overview and an opportunity to display/announce new products - any developer is going to be more interested in the in-depth seminars during the rest of the week.

A wireless iPod would be great as an addition but i would much rather have a simple (maybe wifi based) remote control, especially if it was also IR and could be programmed to control the TV, hifi etc. In the home it doesn't really make sense to use a device that needs frequent recharging when your mains-powered computer is going to be within range of the hifi.

Comment

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
mr_bam said:
Will AirTunes or the technology that runs it let ALL system sound be played on our fancy HiFi speakers?

I see lots of applications for this in a GarageBand / Logic Pro studio situation. I don't mean put your song into iTunes 4.6 first. I mean while you're mixing your tracks and composing.

Will it work?? Does anybody know yet? That would be a great feature and I'd buy it if I knew it would work. But I don't want to just be able to use iTunes for sound. I'm happy attaching my iPod to decent speakers already for normal songs.

As far as I know it will only work for iTunes currently, but I think Apple will wait and see how people respond to the product and then allow for other apps to stream through airtunes.

Comment

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
Knox said:
A wireless iPod would be great as an addition but i would much rather have a simple (maybe wifi based) remote control, especially if it was also IR and could be programmed to control the TV, hifi etc. In the home it doesn't really make sense to use a device that needs frequent recharging when your mains-powered computer is going to be within range of the hifi.

I agree a remote control that costs more than the product is just stupid.

Comment

jtquick2001

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004

Iain[/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.