Bicycle Cyclometer With Accessory Support in 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mikeinternet, May 1, 2009.

1. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Has anyone heard of any of the cycle/gps companies working on this?

With 3.0 support of 3rd party accessories someone needs to make a killer cycling app. Bike cyclometers use a small magnet attached to a spoke and a sensor on the fork to count rotations and calculate milage without GPS signal.

This combined with GPS and route mapping on sites like bikely.com. You could have all kinds of information on your phone.
    - Your ride mapped out how far you have to your destination.
    - A realtime elevation profile.
    - Mileage/Speed

Please someone make this.

2. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

that would be awesome. I would love to be able to check my mileage and avg spd and such on my phone rather than a tiny little screen on the bike.

3. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

They could build the connector into a dock for the handlebars.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Try Runkeeper for a bit! Forget the running part - it's not specific only to running.
    It already will do elevation afaik, and definitely speed, and map your route out.

As a more general answer - no, but expect it to mushroom - Nike's been being uinundated with requests for sporting related HR monitor link ups etc, and i'd imagine Motionbased and others will want in to - the tech makes it doable. The accuracy of GPS wouldnt be as good as a cyclometer, but i'd imagine if you wait till WWDC, you'll have an idea as to how much companies in the background have been working on peripherals (e.g. see Qualcomm's behind the scenes work on MediaFlo/ Flo peripherals for the iPhone).

5. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

That's an awesome suggestion. Except that...

I'ld be loath to bring my iPhone out on cycling trips. What if it rains?:eek:

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's called a waterproof see through bag - there are plenty out there from the sailing / watersports cross-over market, and i'm sure i've seen a few marketed for iPhone like devices.

7. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I'm actually still stuck with a 1st Gen. But maybe I'll try it out with my girlfriends 3G. Thanks for the tip though.
    As far as routing my ride, that would be great for local stuff. But, I was hoping to use it for directions with a route I load in. And be able to give me info like what I have left, how many ft. of incline and decent are left, stuff like that.

I'd even just through a ziplock baggy over it.

8. iPhone guru macrumors member

Cyclometer app in the App Store

I just searched the App Store for a cyclometer app. Seems that the app B.iCycle is specifically made for biking and does the speed and distance calculation even without additional hardware. They do require OS 2.2.1 so I must work just as is.

Does anyone have experiences with that app? How would it work without additional sensors?

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i hope this might be able to support the ipod touch first gen

though the ipods may not have GPS since its not a phone. might it at least record my mileage and stuff?

ah well i'll wait and see :D

10. MacJeffRson macrumors newbie

How cool is that? I've just downloaded the B.iCycle app and I'm impressed. It's far more of a bike computer than I would have imagined -- trails on the map, the track to send home to google earth, etc. And it records my climbed altitude and burnt calories. Not too bad for "just a cyclometer" ;)

The only downside I see is that I'll need to get some mount for my bike, as otherwise you can't keep the phone anywhere for just a quick look. looks like my oldschool cyclometer will have to make room now... Oh and I guess I'll need one of those crazy add-on battery-packs for the multi day trips. :cool:

11. dougster macrumors newbie

Actually, B.iCycle does it really well. I'm using it for quite a while now. It has been pretty slick made. It supplies all the values a cyclometer should and some more like burned calories or even current and climbed altidude. For me it's definitely the best cyclometer app in the store.

BUT! You are right it's working without additional sensors. Additional sensors would be fine at all, even though B.iCycle's calculated values are highly accurate. But for me, I would love to use a heart rate monitor together with this app. It's not possible at the moment because apple did'nt opened the iphone for external access.

For having this and other cool features, We all have to wait for OS 3.0. Generally the headline of this thread is a good thought. I think I'm going to make a request to the developers if they are plannig to implement anything like this in the future (with OS 3.0)

Cheers Dougster

12. iPhone guru macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback to B.iCycle

So I trust you two guys that it works pretty well and will get in the AppStore today. I still cannot imagine how this works without a wheelsensor but if it just works that's fine... :)

I still hope at some point they will support all the external sensors that e.g. a Garmin EDGE supports. But now I guess $9.99 is a great deal for about the same feature set.

I will get back to macrumors once I have some results about how good it's working.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple won't do the HR monitor or many other accessories - but they might help manufacturers - they seem to be quite quiet about wireless accessory support at the moment - you have to go through the "Made for iPod and Works with iPhone program" for more i'd imagine.

Garmin EDGE 705 - £359
    iPhone Touch - £283 for a 32GB product - Surely you could get mounts, HR monitor and an app for £70?

E.g. a HR monitor - companies are v. likely to step up to it (then branch out to cyclometers and other things) - because the mark up the product could be great (they go for £20-50 currently!). If someone can retrofit the current devices to link up - epic. Companies that could - Nike (1st dibs?), Suunto, Polar, Timex, Cardiosport, Garmin, Reebok, New Balance, Oregon...

But you don't have to stop at a strap - you could link to a HR watch potentially, but that's likely further down the line (Garmin 405 successor will be interesting to see).

You could ask Nike about a cyclometer slightly off-topic for Nikeplus, but they can hook you up with the right Customer services department:

They have a lot of requests about HR monitor integration already.

To be honest - it would make sense to get a petition, so you could estimate numbers - am sure someone with Google Docs could set one up, for general sport eqipment iPhone iPod wireless integration. Personally - I'd absolutely love to get HR monitor integration in with RunKeeper - a lot of training can be done regarding HR, not just in speed and distance. They may well branch out into a BikeKeeper, once they can hook up to a cyclometer -the Pro versions could enable the user to hook up a HR monitor or cyclometer for example.

Hopefully syncing would be fairly simple with a BT HR monitor - then the app just needs to get the signal.

Why? No need to necessarily look at your HR watch or feel your pulse, or guess - you could just tap the screen once it's locked.
    No need to guess your speed or have a sensor on the bike - could have audio ouput to headphones and have the phone in a padded backpack. We don't even know what's happening with the next iPhone's headphones - you could have a button press linked to be equivalent to asking to get an update.

To come back to a broader view - If we knew who was on the "Made for iPod and Works with iPhone program" then we could get a good idea as to what was going to be coming out, though maybe not a great timescale. Sometimes directly asking a manufacturer, works - Schwin, Cateye, Sigma, Polar..

Slightly off topic - Does anyone know off hand if we'll be able to pair to multiple BT /wireless devices at the same time?

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This is a cool idea. I just don't want to see people trying to use their iPhones while riding a bike, and then complain later when it gets crushed from being dropped or they if they crash. ;)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Same thing for a Garmin EDGE - but by having headphones on, you could wrap up your iphone so it would be protected to whatever degree you wanted (though miss out on GPS)...

Presumably if you put it in the right place on the frame, there are areas that wouldn't get a direct impact whichever way the bike fell?

People do trick them out sometimes...

Attached Files:

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd say if the iPhone can read your blood pressure, it could be a cyclometer. Someone will make an attachement. It is the Jesus-phone after all.

17. ResEvilG4 macrumors newbie

MapMyRide??

I didn't read all of these post but I love the app Map my ride!! It isn't the most accurate (I ride back and forth on a bit of the same stretch and sometimes it shows up next to each other) It also comes in close to my computer on speed ave.

They definitely need to have some sweet third party stuff with the 3.0... I'm just saying MapMyRide does well for now.

18. iPhone guru macrumors member

First bike tour with B.iCycle was an eye opener for me

Since I got B.iCycle from the AppStore I was looking forward to my first test drive. Today was perfect weather with 82F in my area. So I went out for a nice 20 mile ride and compared B.iCycle with my old Sigma cyclometer.

And I have to tell you that I was really impressed. I did not know about the possibility to calculate all the data just based on GPS so I was very sceptic. But the current speed was consistent with my calibrated Sigma and it needed no calibration at all. Average and max speed were the same as well but the iPhone solution gave me maps, altitude and calorie calculation as well.

The user interface seems to focus on biking, so there might be better solution for other usecases. But all you bikers out there, check it out! It's really cool and with the new Accessory support it will just get better. This is the future of biking!

19. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I use motionx gps when cycling (as well hiking). it's an extremely feature rich gps app.

How could b.icyle calculate calories burned without your heart rate? what is it basing the calculation on?

20. iPhone guru macrumors member

Calorie calculation findings for B.iCycle

The calorie calculation seems to be based on the driven speed and the climbed altitude. I have found that going faster will increase the calories per minute and going uphill will increase them as well.

In the settings I could enter my weight and the bike type and weight. That seems to be considered in the calculation as well. After I put my weight that is higher than the default and selected mountain bike the result was more calories for about the same tour.

During the next days I plan to do some tests with the new cyclometer and compare them to a calorie table that I found in one of my bike magazines. I will let you guys know about the results!

21. dougster macrumors newbie

Damn, seems like you put a lot of effort into figuring out the calorie calculation. I did not care about that much since I have a Polar heart rate monitor that shows the calories as well. So I don't really need B.iCycle for that. All I can tell you is that the calorie calculation of B.iCycle seems to match that of the Polar which is amazing considering that it lacks a heart rate sensor.

I would love to see my heart rate in the App. We should ask the B.iCycle support about that. What do you think?

22. iPhone guru macrumors member

Heart rate accessory for B.iCycle

Yes, lets ask them! :D

Seems that you are happy with the Polar thing. I have read that they already offer a Bluetooth heart rate monitor for a Nokia phone. Maybe they will sell something similar for the iPhone as well!? That would be so :cool:

23. iPhone guru macrumors member

Hey Dougster,

I just got feedback from the B.iCycle support team. They told me they are eager to release a version with support for 3rd party accessories ASAP but can't disclose any details at this point.

If you ask me they seem to be working on the heart rate monitor. Cross your fingers that this will be available soon!

B.iCycle is great as is and I use it for all my rides. But I can't wait for the day it supports a heart rate monitor...

Let me know your ideas on that. Did you get more details?

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

:D Isn't this one of the first people to give a nod to an upcoming accessory through the BT/dock connector route? Nike's being a pain in this regard about not even saying they will.

25. iPhone guru macrumors member

Yes, that's right! I'm so looking forward to the next version!!! Maybe you could try to get more details. Can you ask their support as well please. That would also show that more people are waiting for accessory support in a cyclometer app.

I just hope that B.iCycle will be the fist app. I just love it and don't like the idea of switching to another (maybe less accurate) app.