Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Hey Dougster,

I just got feedback from the B.iCycle support team. They told me they are eager to release a version with support for 3rd party accessories ASAP but can't disclose any details at this point.

If you ask me they seem to be working on the heart rate monitor. Cross your fingers that this will be available soon!

B.iCycle is great as is and I use it for all my rides. But I can't wait for the day it supports a heart rate monitor...

Let me know your ideas on that. Did you get more details?

Hey, in response to my request if they are planning to implement support for external accessory (e.g. heart rate monitor) in B.iCycle, they told me about having this and many other cool features already in the pipeline but they have to decide in which order they are going to implement those.

Although, I'm now confidently looking forward to accessory-support, it would be helpful if as many people as possible ask them for doing that. So come on guys, to the Keys even though your suggestions/wishes are different from mine. My impression is that the developers are really interested to get in contact with the us users.

BTW: iPhone Guru, which Bike mount are you using? I'm quite happy with the "Bike Mount 1" from Richter. Has some of you guys checked out any other mounts. I've heard about the RAM Mount. Any experiences with this thing?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Forgot to update this thread - have a look at this :)

More here

Possible confirmation of Nike+ actually being integrated into iTunes.

Modular upgrades to iTunes ftw? (reminds me of how you can get certain tabs showing if you have the feature, e.g. iPhone, ATV etc).

iPhone guru

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
Forgot to update this thread - have a look at this :)

More here

Possible confirmation of Nike+ actually being integrated into iTunes.

How come you are so exited about the Nike thing??? That would probably be proprietary solution, so the apps we currently use could not work with the Nike hardware.

I'm hoping for free accessories that all apps could support. I don't want to switch back from the dedicated bike cyclometer B.iCycle to a standard non-biking app just because of e.g. a heart rate sensor.

skrueger

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Cycle computors

Just the other day I found "REI's Bike your Ride". It's a cool app. Speed, average speed, miles, time, calories burned and you can take pictures along your ride. The pictures will show up in a slideshow of your route when you upload your ride to Evertrail. You can save all your rides, post them to Facebook and so on. It's all free too. I love this app.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
How come you are so exited about the Nike thing??? That would probably be proprietary solution, so the apps we currently use could not work with the Nike hardware.

I'm hoping for free accessories that all apps could support. I don't want to switch back from the dedicated bike cyclometer B.iCycle to a standard non-biking app just because of e.g. a heart rate sensor.

Yes it would, but have you seen the patent?
a) It looks a good system
b) Having Nike do it doesn't lock anyone else out. However It does mean that others will have to raise their game. Which is what we want, right?

An oopensource framework for sensors and an sports app would be cool, but it's more likely that at least at first, the apps will be about getting users locked into a system, and hardware and app sales.

Yes, you'll have to jump ship. But someone like Nike would be likely to have the resources to be able to set it up s you could start communicating with more and more sensor models. They could be greedy gits, and not make backwards compatability to the big HR hardware out there.
To be honest, it'll likely be a bit of a messy fight out between the manufacturers.

Still - if RunKeeper, motionbased, Trails etc can incorporate connection to a known good model,i'm sure lots will buy the hardware sensors to have that integration with the app.

Long and short - it's going to be a bit expensive, but likely worth it :)
Some features are just about individual's logged stats, but with a bigger community means omre funding for the person running the community, allowing more extras to be added on, more ways of viewing data, more ways to log, more detail, more social interaction. Nike has the social side. If they got their act together, they could make it big. Would spur Asics etc to do something about it, right? We'll see. Even just having what was explained in the patent would be a big step up.

iPhone guru

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
Yes, you'll have to jump ship. But someone like Nike would be likely to have the resources to be able to set it up s you could start communicating with more and more sensor models. They could be greedy gits, and not make backwards compatability to the big HR hardware out there.
To be honest, it'll likely be a bit of a messy fight out between the manufacturers.

So I guess you are looking for a solution that is perfect for running!? I have the Nike+ with the old iPod nano and like it a lot. For running that is the real deal!

But my concern is that Nike will always focus on running. Others are not. My app of choice B.iCycle does not even support running. But it's tailormade for biking and that is key to me. I have a autoscan mode that flicks through all the values that I care about while riding so I don't need to click anything and I have a split screen of a bike map and the speed, distance values at the same time. That was my point, I don't want to go back from that to a generic tracking app just because of additional sensors. I'll rather wait for B.iCycle to support it as well. And I can't see Nike making an open solution so I'm more exited about "free" stuff.

So anyone having information about open solutions for Bluetooth heart rate monitors please post it here. I can't wait!!!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Another patent from Apple - here

The patent is only 4 months old....

kpatent-090611-3.jpg

A recent patent filling about an activity sensor geared towards skiers, snowboarders and mountain bikers

which can detect, track, and display a visual and quantitative measure, for instance, of a skier's speed and air time. The device looks like it would contain one or more loft sensors (in one photo it is shown installed in a snowboard) and a microprocessor subsystem to determine loft time. There are of course, no guarantees that a product like this will ever see the light of day, but we sure hope so: runner favoritism must end. One more page of the filing after the break.

"The 41-page patent filing dated just four months ago is credited three remotely located Apple engineers: Curtis Vock of Boulder, Colo., Peter Flentov of Carlisle, Mass., and Dennis Darcy of Dracut, Mass."
Tehre are a fair number of 80s and 90s patents on similar things. The guys for this patent have done others as well... VOck is heavy on patents - Big list here - http://www.vock.com/vock-publications-patents.asp including Activity monitoring systems and methods, sensor garments, electronic drink coasters etc.

Vocks had previous litigation against Nike about patent infringement... PhatRat tech
Apple and Nike were sued by PhatRat previously... about Nike+.

Might be why Nike's been a bit slow in expanding the sensor side of things?

Curtis Vock is an entrepreneur, inventor and patent attorney.

His most recent and current venture is ThinkVillage (http://www.thinkvillage.com), a company which aims to reduce gross inefficiencies from worldwide patent systems. Prior to ThinkVillage, Vock founded and managed PhatRat Technology (http://www.phatrat.com), which employs wireless smart sensors to provide real time feedback for athletic performance. Vock also founded Golf Age Technologies (GPS Golf, 3D ball tracking), SeeUV (colored sunscreen), Civix-DDI and several other ventures over the past 15 years.

Patents

PhatRat Technology, LLC

PhatRat's vision is to instantly generate and share data regarding athletic performance. The company employs tiny, wireless smart sensors that attach to athletes and instantly measure sporting metrics (e.g., airtime, speed, impact). PhatRat nationally featured its technology on ESPN and at local Colorado venues (Vail, Winter Park) and will soon sell a consumer sensor/watch system. PhatRat has licensed its technology to several well-known sporting companies, including Adidas.

With Apple trying to patent sports tech with sensors
http://www.tuaw.com/tag/nike/

Apple might wait till Touch to launch this, but it's seems pretty close (hopefully not Tablet rumor close - an Apple product that has been rumored in the ether for years). Mobiaction to do anything in this field? Seems one of their HR monitors does BT...
http://www.mobimotion.com/index.php?id=36&L=1

iPhone guru

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
That sounds awesome! When can I buy it T0mat0? ;-)

Since my last post the WWDC took place and there are many rumors about the upcoming accessories. The one I like most is the TomTom car kit since it brings all the features to the car that I was missing (hands free calling, turn by turn, iPod via car speakers, charging).

I also heard that heart rate sensors are soon to become available in the Apple Stores right after the OS 3.0 launch. Lets hope that B.iCycle will support one of them from the beginning.

I got another mail from their support team that sounded a little bit more assuring about that. They said I should not be worried about B.iCycle still being the best cyclometer in the AppStore once OS 3.0 and accessories become available. Thats a big hint or what do you guys say???

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
That sounds awesome! When can I buy it T0mat0? ;-)

Since my last post the WWDC took place and there are many rumors about the upcoming accessories. The one I like most is the TomTom car kit since it brings all the features to the car that I was missing (hands free calling, turn by turn, iPod via car speakers, charging).

I also heard that heart rate sensors are soon to become available in the Apple Stores right after the OS 3.0 launch. Lets hope that B.iCycle will support one of them from the beginning.

I got another mail from their support team that sounded a little bit more assuring about that. They said I should not be worried about B.iCycle still being the best cyclometer in the AppStore once OS 3.0 and accessories become available. Thats a big hint or what do you guys say???

IUf it wasn't for the TomTom announcement, i'd be much less optimistic about accessories rapidly coming available. - Do you have the info on the HR monitors? I hadn't seen that. If you could copy the mail here that would be great. Sounds good to me.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
all these ideas for using the iphone on the bike are great... but i'd be concerned about the whole moisture detector thing! heck... not even sure i want to take mine on the bike with me just as a phone (and hubby carries his in his jersey pocket!!!)

a perfect example would have been my ride saturday.... fog, which was accompanies by moisture (ok rain!)... my garmin edge worked just fine in the rain (as did my current phone that i'm sure got a bit of moisture in it even though it's cased)..... the iphone... i'm sure would have been voided of its warranty by those over-sensitive sensors! :eek:

i'll stick to my other made for bike products that can handle a little sweat (and rain!)

iPhone guru

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
IUf it wasn't for the TomTom announcement, i'd be much less optimistic about accessories rapidly coming available. - Do you have the info on the HR monitors? I hadn't seen that. If you could copy the mail here that would be great. Sounds good to me.

That is what the B.iCycle support said:

"We are very happy that you love B.iCycle! We have been working so hard to make it the best cyclometer app for the iPhone. What you are asking for will be the next step.

Heart rate monitor support is as high on our list as it gets! However, we are not able to bring out a Bluetooth Heart rate monitor ourselves and we are not allowed to disclose any details about partnering companies yet."

dougster

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
all these ideas for using the iphone on the bike are great... but i'd be concerned about the whole moisture detector thing! heck... not even sure i want to take mine on the bike with me just as a phone (and hubby carries his in his jersey pocket!!!)

a perfect example would have been my ride saturday.... fog, which was accompanies by moisture (ok rain!)... my garmin edge worked just fine in the rain (as did my current phone that i'm sure got a bit of moisture in it even though it's cased)..... the iphone... i'm sure would have been voided of its warranty by those over-sensitive sensors! :eek:

i'll stick to my other made for bike products that can handle a little sweat (and rain!)

Hi Caligurl. I'm using B.iCycle with a Bike Mount called "Bike Mount 1" from Richter. I'm very happy with this thing. B.iCycle is really great, but the best experience you get with a bike mount. While carrying your iPhone in your banana-pocket you won't see the amazin map with biketrails during your ride. It would be a pitty....Your iPhone with the right sotware is almost as powerful as your Gamin. Nobody would carry it's Garmin in his jersey pocket.....

If you are scared about damaging your iPhone with fog or rain or so, i can give you a hint. Do you know the guys from otterbox? They provide waterproof cases even for your iPhone.... With that you are save even while biking in a thunderstorm ... :)

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/

Cheers, Dougster

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
That is what the B.iCycle support said:

"We are very happy that you love B.iCycle! We have been working so hard to make it the best cyclometer app for the iPhone. What you are asking for will be the next step.

Heart rate monitor support is as high on our list as it gets! However, we are not able to bring out a Bluetooth Heart rate monitor ourselves and we are not allowed to disclose any details about partnering companies yet."

:) Nice to see
a) That HR is their 1st priority
b) They're talking about partnering companies. It's a little vaguely worded, but the fact that they have details that they can't disclose hints they have details, meaning they have partnering companies working on this. (e.g. 405 is now $300 down $50

Anyone want to venture who that could be?
Polar?
Garmin? Unlikely - They're already under competition SatNav wise, and would undercut the Forerunner and other models.

ProForm
SUUNTO
CARDIOSPORT
REEBOK
TIMEX
NEW BALANCE
NIKE
Oregon
?

EDit - unless we hear from people soon, it might seem that there are NDA's until maybe Jobs does an end of June announcement / Touch. iPod launch later on in September would seem a bit too long to wait for new accessories working on the relaxed regulations of working with BT to connect to the iPhone etc.

iPhone guru

macrumors member
May 6, 2009
Polar?
Garmin? Unlikely - They're already under competition SatNav wise, and would undercut the Forerunner and other models.

ProForm
SUUNTO
CARDIOSPORT
REEBOK
TIMEX
NEW BALANCE
NIKE
Oregon
?

My guess is Polar, as they already have a Bluetooth heart monitor that is approved by the FCC. They are also the most likely to partner with 3rd party software companies for broad support. NIKE will rather do a proprietary solution including software.

The B.iCycle cyclometer app with built in support for a Polar heart rate monitor: That's my dream solution for biking! Hey you engineers, please make it happen!!!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Just to post this

Is Jason at RunKeeper yesterday, in response to @JenFer
"@runkeeper Do you know if I can use both RK & @nikeplus @ the same time w/unjailbroken #iPhone? Read that Nike+ can be bkgded, so seems yes?"

"I believe you can, although we plan to eliminate the need to ;-)"

Either that's - RK is better than Nike+.....

Or, RK is getting pedometer? Fortnight and we'll know if Apple's done the leg work to bring HR monitors, and other wireless sensor integration and more to the table.

We've only seen TomTom (whoc haven't released their dock) and one other dock (that hasn't released). I think sept 8/9th is potentially the day we see the fruits of labor on this front -
With iPods getting cameras, new sports tech for the Touch keeps it looking less like an iphone without the phone.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I use the iMapMyRide app. It works well and does, basically, what you're looking for it to do.

Note that in addition to speed, distance, calories used, route mapping, etc., it also provides elevations and gives you a "route profile" (a la TDF stage profiles).

As a plus, it keeps a detailed history of each ride accessible from the phone and their website. Also, supposedly, integration with heartrate monitors is coming.

Very cool little app. I love it (even though it and my Cateye don't always agree).

--Matt

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Nike + rumor for a Heart Rate monitor

Seems there's a delay on this, but it's a coming.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/26/pedal-brain/

Pedal Brain has the iPhone connecting via ANT+
i.e. There's a distinct possibility we'll see some iTunes, Nike+ and HR monitor action by March 2010.

Pedal Brain’s iPhone/iPod accessory, which has already been approved by Apple, will be available through local bike shops this spring. The company is targeting a March release date and plans to sell the device for between $130 and $190. The online service will be subscription based, though users will be able to get a limited version for free (you won’t be able to track your data for longer than a couple weeks).

Cyclometer I guess should be coming soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.