Big and Heavy ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Mar 16, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Sure compared to a Galaxy Note it's big and heavy but 2 very different devices.

Surprised about the reaction some are having, it's not that different paper specs from the 2?

2. celinedion1 macrumors member

I'm upgrading from an iPad 1, so to me the iPad 3 feels incredibly light and skinny.

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

When I opened it next to my iPad 2 the biggest thing that stuck out was the weight and how thick it was. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it feels heavy compared.

4. big samm macrumors 65816

I also come from a iPad 1 3G (still have it) and I can feel the new iPad a bit heavier , but slimmer than the first gen! I'm really happy!

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oddly I can feel the weight. I thought the iPad 2 was already heavy. I use mostly a GTab 7" in bed due to the weight. But I wouldn't complain about it being "heavier". It's just barely perceptible.

6. mrt209 macrumors 6502

I don't really know why, but it feels a bit better holding the new iPad. Maybe the added weight.

7. homeboy macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 feels very noticeably heavy and I cannot imagine many people wanting to hold it with one hand for too long. I compared it with my colleagues 64GB 3G iPad 2 and the difference was definitely there, like holding a dry and a we sock.

But it's worth it for the screen.

8. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Even compare against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 the new ipad is noticeably heavier, I can feel my wrists strain more holding the ipad after a while.

9. sovereign macrumors regular

sovereign

And FAST!

10. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

The difference is three CDs (plus a bottle cap).. pick up three CDs and that's how much extra it weighs..
    three cds.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, but it was a bit heavy to begin with. I use it A LOT. So I could tell the difference. But I wouldn't say its that much heavier that I will use it less. I already don't use it in certain situations, like when I am laying in bed checking email and browsing the web. I use the GTab for that because it is significantly lighter than the iPad 2. The new iPad won't change that.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I haven't noticed it. But then again, I'm in great shape.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Perfect size, weight, and the build quality beats down the iPad 2. No complaints here.

14. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I just weighed my Tab 10.1 and the iPad 3 on my postal scale. The Tab is 1lb 3.6oz and the iPad is 1lb 6.7oz. A 3.1oz difference. I can feel the difference, but it is negligible. I notice that the Tab 10.1's beveled edges are more comfortable in the hands compared to the sharper edges of the iPad more than I do the weight factor.

As much as I love the Tab 10.1, the iPad's aspect ratio and pixel density is superior for web browsing and eText / PDF reading.

15. astral125 macrumors 6502

hahah awesome retort.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend has a huge bag. There's so much stuff in there. Even when you take out her laptop, and nursing textbooks, it still is very heavy to carry. And I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there that's much heavier than a pen or pencil.

My point: It all adds up, and 3 CD's might not be a lot on their own, but in a hand, for a long time, they can be. Especially when you consider that 3 CD's are probably a decent percentage of the overall weight.

17. karsal macrumors member

Same here, but people just like to whine

18. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

I dont disagree that the platform is heavy to begin with (a lot of tech and battery packed into that thing.. it's not like they tossed in some sand for fun). That being said, 50 grams on top of the already heavy weight is really not much. It very well may be too much for some, which is fine; its a personal choice.. I just put that out there so people have a real world example of what 50g is equivalent to.

FYI: iPad2 = 38CDs, iPad(3)=41.

personally I cant really tell the difference (not implying other cant easily tell)

Matt

19. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

It is thumb typing in portrait mode on the ipad I notice the difference most, on the tab I normally type in landscape mode, so the weight is more evenly spread.

I agree the ipad is better with web browsing and reading. I just wish th Pluse app have more options compared to android version, and find a podcast app don't auto shut off in the background while downloading.

20. kxfrog macrumors regular

Neither, doesn't really feel any heavier to me

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Maybe iPad 3 is heavier because all u geeks screamed for retina display and LTE radio.

Trade off is..... Apple need to stick in bigger battery because those things are battery killers.

I cannot believe someone would compare galaxy tab to iPad. Galaxy tab has nothing like what iPad 3 or even 2 has.

People who say iPad 2 and iPad 3 are heavy......

Go exercise.

What are u going to say when ur gf or wife asks for help with groceries? U gonna say too heavy?

22. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

I noticed it was slightly heavier, but that is not a problem. I would rather have the slight increase in weight for the return of the same battery life as the iPad 2. Also it gives iPad users the ability to get some bustling muscles like this. Haha

[​IMG]

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I suspect using it for 15 minutes will eliminate any perception of it being heavier. It's barely noticeable anyway. Those with the iPad 1 will experience a bigger upgrade! (thinner/lighter) I would imagine. But for us coming from the iPad 2, the weight and size should not be a problem.

The screen though.... wow. And LTE is faster than my FIOS connection at home...

24. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Couldn't have said it better myself really. I'm loving my lighter, thinner iPad!

25. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

Which was exactly Steve Jobs' point in staying with a 4:3 ratio versus a 16:9 ratio. It;s compromise for modern video, but a perfect aspect ratio for reading. Very close to a standard piece of letter-sized paper.