Big Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by berkleeboy210, Nov 12, 2007.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Hi Guys,

I have a Newer Technology 300gb External USB 2 Drive. I was using this via Airport Disk from a Windows Computer until I recently got my mac.

I plug it in to the Mac and it will recognize the drive, I can copy files etc.... But when I open Time Machine it won't recognize the drive at ALL. Keeping in mind that I now have it directly connected to my Computer.

I've tried to go into Disk Utility and format it as Mac OS X Extended Journal and when I do I get the "Disk Erase Failed, Input/Output Error" - Here's the Catch I bring the drive back to the family comp which is Windows Vista, and I'm able to get the drive alive again.

Any idea what could be wrong???? Really annoying

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

under sys. pref. have you entered the time machine pane, and turned on time machine? maybe try another port, have you tried to restart? i'm just going over the simple things many ppl overlook before getting into the serious troubleshooting ideas... hope any of this helps...

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The partition map should be set to GUID, though I'm not sure if that's the reason for the error.

(click the options button with the partition tab open to select the partition map)

4. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, somehow I got as far as attempting a reformat, and the message popped up "would you like to use this drive w. time machine" i clicked cancel because it wasn't set to GUID yet. when I went to Partition the drive I got the same error message, and the drive went dead on the MAC.

Plugged it back into Vista, and got it alive AGAIN. although it wouldn't let me set it up as GUID in Vista either... Just MBR - IT did have the option for GUID but said it wasn't compatible...

Very Odd guys, huh?

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Can't think of what's going on, but you could format the drive as FAT/NTFS in Vista (to get back to a known state), then try again in Mac OS-X Disk Utility.

When in Disk Utility, Partition, choose "1 partition" instead of "current". Otherwise, it won't permit changing partition maps.

6. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have been selecting the "1 Partition" and that's when I've been getting the error message...

I'll give it a shot again later, and report back.