Big question! Very cheap NEW macbook pro's selling on craigslist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleedheat, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bleedheat macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro on craigslist.org i met the guy. He sold me a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX macbook pro 17" for $1900 with a CPU upgrade. I'm using the computer now. I checked the serial number on the box and the computer (they matched) it is still under warranty for a year.

The main question i ask is where did it come from? This Russian man get "shipments" in every so often of 40 or more.
    If he is a certified apple retailer he would not be able to sell them at this price (legally) and turn a profit. Apple retailers just don't get them THAT cheap.
    It seems very strange. And i noticed that this only started happening in miami shortly after the macbook pro price drop. Does anyone care to remark on this? I know apple does not condone wholesale buying of these computer from china.. but that does mean it does not happen? If possible, someone try and find their trade argument with their Chinese manufacturers many you can.
    If anyone has any idea about this please comment.

2. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Coconut Idendtity Card can tell you if a serial number has been reported as stolen among other things.

3. bleedheat thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bleedheat thread starter macrumors newbie

ya Coconut Idendtity Card is awesome. i checked it was not stolen and it was made in Shanghai

5. booboo85 macrumors newbie

u got your wish

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth. That's the bottom line.

6. bleedheat thread starter macrumors newbie

A gift?... It must be some kind of gray market. i just want to know what to know... you know how apple likes to keep secrete.. maybe there was changes in their trade agreement changed which allowed this.

7. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Quite a few brand new Macs sold on Craigslist are stolen. They usually even come with receipts, purchased with stolen credit cards.

Your Russian source might be legit, but many sellers on Craigslist offering brand new Macs are not.

8. bleedheat thread starter macrumors newbie

Legit how? how do you think he got the computers? some facts i forgot to say the computer came out right before the price drop/modifications. It does not have the glass screen over the LED, and the hard drive is only 300 GB. Also it only has one 800 firewire port.. my understanding is that this pro should have a 400 and 800. Or is it one of the other 400 or 800? Again i checked if it was stolen this is not stolen. He has a lot of them. maybe they are stolen for other countries?

9. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I would exercise extreme caution in this case. This Russian fellow may as crooked as a hind dogs leg. I would personally only buy from a reputable Apple retailer. NIB and with mods? Sounds kinda fishy....

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Parallel imports.

11. bleedheat thread starter macrumors newbie

"Apple is a net receiver of non-U.S. currencies. Therefore, changes in exchange rates, particularly the strengthening of the U.S. dollar, can affect Apple's net sales and gross margins.[1] Though they historically have priced their products at a 5-10% premium outside USA (possible due to Apple's strong control of the channel and localized hardware (keyboards) - almost completely eliminating the possibilities of parallel imports) - and it could easily be assumed Apple would react quickly to larger fluctuations through price increases. Thus eliminating most currency risks - and actually adding income historically by taking home the risk premium."

however you can look on tradekey.com search macbook pro and find wholesalers. i have never seen this done.. it might just be a big scam

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you have to ask, then of course it is a scam. You could report them to Apple; I doubt Apple approves of such things.

13. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

If its not a Unibody then I dont think its a good deal.

14. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

as always if it's too good to be true it usually is.

obviously there are exceptions but I personally would not be willing to take a chance on my MBP !

15. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i bought my 17" mbp on craigslist for 2,200
    that was before the upgrades and price drops, so the store price was still 2,900.

and mine was brand new.

:eek: