Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
No man this doesn't work it isn't a real solution at all , I don't want to turn off messages notifications, how about the rest of the other bunch of apps on my phone that gives me lock screen notifications? my whole point is that, the screen doesn't need to turn on every single time you get a notification, like what other's said in this thread, for instance proximity sensor can detect phone is in your pocket, or faced down etc and it wont turn on the screen but it will still make a alert sound.

My whole point is that, on Android, you get a notification, it doesn't turn on your screen, you get the sound alert, and it shows in the notification bar(Yes i know iOS doesnt have notfications in the top bar ) but you will still see the notification next time you turn your screen on or even the notification LED. (obviously iPhone doesnt have this.) Now some might say, "but yeah Android doesnt have lock screen notifications like iOS" actually you can get that on Android, and in Android L, its coming. Now this is not a debate between iOS or Android at all, not at all, i am just simply using Android as a example.

TLDR: IMO notifications should not turn on the screen every single time.

I think android suits you best, you can always swtch to android if this problem is a big concern for ya.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
to the original poster...would you like a sound or vibration?

I think the one user who suggested DND has a working method. this allows the notification to show on lock screen but no noise/vibration or light-up screen.

I see the point you are making. I have my email set to certain times for checking as I didn't want to get them all and anytime. this way at certain times, boom-boom-boom...

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
I mean this works to a certain extent but is still annoying and not a great way to deal with it, I dont want to have to turn off notifications off my lock screen just so my screen doesnt keep waking

Actually, it's a good solution. You can easily pull down notification center on the lock screen to see what you've missed.

----------

I can get 500-600 iMessages a day

Wow, teens these days text a lot more than we used to :eek:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think he's saying there could possibly be a better way even with the iPhones current tech.

Like the screen not turning on with the phone face down using the gyro. Or the screen not turning on in your pocket using the proximity sensor.

Look at me go, and I'm not even an Apple engineer. :D

The better way is for Apple to give us a LED notification light that has full customization!

Instead we get the stupid flash on the back of the phone!:mad:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually, it's a good solution. You can easily pull down notification center on the lock screen to see what you've missed.

----------

Ha! I wish! Unfortunately I was a teen 14 years ago. Those messages are mostly from work associate and a few friends.

----------

The better way is for Apple to give us a LED notification light that has full customization!

Instead we get the stupid flash on the back of the phone!:mad:

I was going to mention that earlier as I had one on my blackberry back in the day and loved it. But bringing up a notification light around here doesn't tend to go over well. Lol

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ha! I wish! Unfortunately I was a teen 14 years ago. Those messages are mostly from work associate and a few friends.

----------

I was going to mention that earlier as I had one on my blackberry back in the day and loved it. But bringing up a notification light around here doesn't tend to go over well. Lol

Apple doesn't want that notification light. I really liked the alert customization on my old blackberry. I have all notifications disabled on my lock screen for security reasons, but would be nice to get the iPhone to vibrate in lock screen when a notification comes in.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
TLDR: IMO notifications should not turn on the screen every single time.

Do you want it to turn on every other time? You're arguing that you don't want a feature to do what it's supposed to do. Notifications turn on the screen to notify you of something. If notifications do not alert you, it defeats the purpose. The answer is Do Not Disturb mode. You can even schedule it to be active during certain times. I get it that there are no existing features that will satisfy you, but Do Not Disturb mode does exactly what you're proposing. It takes two seconds. Turn on DND when you put your phone in your pocket.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Do you want it to turn on every other time? You're arguing that you don't want a feature to do what it's supposed to do. Notifications turn on the screen to notify you of something. If notifications do not alert you, it defeats the purpose. The answer is Do Not Disturb mode. You can even schedule it to be active during certain times. I get it that there are no existing features that will satisfy you, but Do Not Disturb mode does exactly what you're proposing. It takes two seconds. Turn on DND when you put your phone in your pocket.

Read the entire post.

He doesn't want the screen to come on when its obviously not going to be or be able to be viewed like when its in a pocket.

Do not disturb will mute the sound, not just turn off the screen. That is a function designed for something totally different so its not an answer or a solution.

This whole thread is a just someone thinking aloud. Obviously the iPhone doesn't offer this sort of technology like other smart phone due when it comes to conserving energy.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I gave the Samsung Galaxy Nexus a try when it came out and one of the many reasons I ditched it after a day was because my screen didn't wake up when I got a text or other sort of notification.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
OP, I agree with you! I keep my iPhone on "Do not disturb" 24/7. It doesnt turn on the screen, but I still get my notifications :)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Does the iPhone screen still light up for notifications when the proximity sensor is covered? If so, that seems like a bit of a design oversight on Apple's part. I just kinda assumed it didn't.

I gave the Samsung Galaxy Nexus a try when it came out and one of the many reasons I ditched it after a day was because my screen didn't wake up when I got a text or other sort of notification.

I'll admit, I cringed a little when I read that.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I'll admit, I cringed a little when I read that.

It certainly was a POS. Did not even last the whole day. Battery charged slow AF, wifi antenna would be extremely weak when I was in my basement, plus al the little quirks of iOS were missing. Returned that thing quickly.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
tumblr_inline_najahvAaBh1reny26.gif

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is: Settings/Notification Center/. With each app, turn off "Show on Lock Screen".

seems like the desire there is for the notifications to come in, set off an alert, without turning the screen on, but at the same time still be there if the user turns the screen on to quickly check any notifications that might have come in.

DND might come close to that, but without the alerts going off.

----------

----------

As I recall if you disable notifications from appearing on the lock screen then they won't appear in notification center on the lock screen either (assuming it's enabled to be accessible from the lock screen to begin with).

opentoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
There would be a very good solution to a lot of this. Have to steal it from Blackberry but Apple could put a bright LED right on the phone somewhere (even a tri color LED) and have it blink when you have a message. Of course be able to control how it blinks and with what apps. This way you don't need to even touch your phone to know you have a message or mail waiting or missed call. This is a feature I really miss and wish Apple would integrate that into their phone. A tiny LED blinking would use %90 less battery power then lighting up the whole display. A red blink for email, a yellow blink for missed call, amber blink for whatever....come on Apple, such simple things. This would incur better battery life and you would even handle the phone less.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There would be a very good solution to a lot of this. Have to steal it from Blackberry but Apple could put a bright LED right on the phone somewhere (even a tri color LED) and have it blink when you have a message. Of course be able to control how it blinks and with what apps. This way you don't need to even touch your phone to know you have a message or mail waiting or missed call. This is a feature I really miss and wish Apple would integrate that into their phone. A tiny LED blinking would use %90 less battery power then lighting up the whole display. A red blink for email, a yellow blink for missed call, amber blink for whatever....come on Apple, such simple things. This would incur better battery life and you would even handle the phone less.

Couldn't agree more, but it's not going to happen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Say what?

You DON'T want notifications waking up your screen but you DO want notifications on your screen?

This is your big hullabaloo?

Oh boy....

Also, your thread title should state "...why iPhone's [sic] BATTERIES don't last...."

I don't see this as a terribly crazy want. Perhaps you want to quickly check if you have any notifications, you power the screen on, and BAM, you have three emails and two texts that you can quickly decide if you want to get to. As it is, you either have to wake and unlock the phone entirel (and check the badges on your app, load the app and see what the notification is about)y, or deal with your screen lighting up every time you get a notification.

For me this would actually be rather handy with facebook. As it stands, I basically turn all notifications (for FB) off because I am constantly seeing the phone's screen turn on when I have no desire to be alerted every time a person pokes me.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
First world problems. 4 years later our iPhone 4 is still alive despite having been drowned. I'm not worried about notifications.

----------

Oh, and how long would you like them to last?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.