Bigger screen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Aug 13, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Is it expected that we are going to see a bigger screen in the future models of the iPhone?

I was expecting a larger screen when the iPhone 4 was announced.

Is there a definite possibility a 4 inch model is in the near future?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No

hmmm...No

and NO

3. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Awesome reply...

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

It's always a possibility, but due to Steve Jobs, I doubt it. 4" is the largest I'd ever go anyway.

5. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Yes its called an iPad.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

+ 1. :D

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Although I'm happy with the current iPhone, I'd love to have a 4" screen, no bigger. I don't think the overall size difference would an issue but the browsing/viewing experince would definitely be an upgrade.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yo tambien. :D

9. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I've been looking at the iPhone 4 screen and notice the big border on the top and bottom and how they can really reduce the borders and remove the home button and put it on the side of the iPhone rather on the screen side so they can enlarge the screen.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thus giving you no place to hold the phone for all those action video games on the app store.

Not gonna happen.

11. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I thought about that and what game apps can just do is make the sides have no touch input.

I have seen some iPhone with a bigger screen and borderless and they look pretty slick.

12. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Do want. 4" would be awesome.

I don't understand people who don't want a bigger screen. Must either have ridiculously small hands or be fanboys.

13. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

14. err404 macrumors 68020

I'm reasonably sure that it will happen, since they could do it without making the phone any larger. The question is when.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, you haven't. Sure, it's a possibility that Apple will bump the screen size in a future phone. Does anyone know when or if it will happen? No.

16. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I doubt it, because then the pixel density would decrease, and they wouldn't be able to tout the Retina Display.

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

All they would have to do is increase the pixel density so it stays at 326ppi. Not that hard. I wouldn't worry about it.

18. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

But then that would screw with most of the apps in the App Store. And Apple would definitely not sell an iPhone that won't be able to run a lot of the apps in the App Store because of its resolution.

19. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bigger doesn't always mean better.

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

3.7" inch is possible. The black bars left and right from the screen are about 0.2" each (so 0.4" total). That menas there's enough space to make it wider (and also higher, just cut a bit of from the black bars on top and bottom). This way they can make the screen bigger without making the phone bigger.

Although, I don't think Apple's going to do that. They are pretty proud of the fact that they have the highest resolution screen in a phone ever. But maybe next year or the year after there will be a 3.7" screen.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, and all who love apple/iphones will say how its not necessary, as they're too big, suck too much battery isn't very easy to hold or stash into their pockets.

Then when apple does come around and produces one, they'll marvel at apple's innovation and how they did it right and how great a large screen will be.

22. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Are you talking about screen size or pixel density? Developers already have to work on updating their apps for the Retina Display, but as far as screen size, it's just like the iPad, where developers would have to create a slightly larger version of their application (although I understand the kinds of problems your relating to).

That is very true.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't agree. There's quite a few of us iPhone users who wouldn't mind a larger screen, and I'm sure you're loving your Droid X's.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Very much so, its an awesome phone. I got it on day one of the roll out and its been great. Plus being on verizon, has been a plus, as my coverage area has increased to what ATT has to offer.

25. Charadis macrumors 6502a

If Apple extended the screen across the borders, then I agree that's possible.

However, if they pulled what Nintendo did with the DS (from DS Lite to larger DSi screens, to even larger DS XL) and increased the screen while staying proportionate to the ratio, then there should be a way around the Apps compatibility part.

-C