Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
It looks like Apple has decided we do not need better notifications, again! They know what is best for all of you!

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
They could at least have A single icon at the top that allows you to see that notification center has pending notifications. No need to have one for every app that has a notification (at least if we are talking about a feasible way to have Apple have the status bar icon while keeping their minimalistic design).

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
They could at least have A single icon at the top that allows you to see that notification center has pending notifications. No need to have one for every app that has a notification (at least if we are talking about a feasible way to have Apple have the status bar icon while keeping their minimalistic design).

I think this is the best way to go about it.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Someone above already proposed a solution that wouldn't clutter up the status bar. Have ONE icon with a number in the middle indicating the total number of notifications. At a glance then, you at least know that you have a notification.

Your notifications are on the lock screen, you have to unlock so your notifications are there before even seeing the status bar. Even if you disable the lock screen notifications, is a downward swipe really that hard?

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I loved my blackberry notification icons in the top bar. I've been debating switching back until the iPhone 5 is released.

arashamedani

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
California
You know how the status bar glows green when you're in a call, blue when you're tethering, and red when you're in a VOIP call?

I was thinking a simple way for Apple to implement notifications would be for it to simply pulse white when you have notifications waiting for you.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

My opinion is that you dev guys can bitch as much as you want !

Like you've said your findings have been sent to the right people too and that your intention here was to highlight these issues to other devs, and keep us men on the street in the loop.

In the end its you guys that after tweaking and suggesting bug fixes will result in a bug free as possible ios 5

Keep up the good work and thank you .

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I really don't like the down swipe. I wish it was a two finger down swipe, or at least have that as an option. It happens by accident too much, and also when I'm trying to do other things at the top of the screen.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
If you are with your phone at the time you receive a notification you will see the popup which lets you know. If it's in your pocket you'll hear a sound or vibration which will let you know. The only time you need to pull down to see if there are missed notifications is after you were away from your phone and in that case the lockscreen will show a list of notifications much like the pull down notification center. So you'll see them if you're pulling out your phone to use it.

In addition to all of that there are also app icon badges which are visible from the homescreen. So no, you won't need to be constantly checking the notification center.

The status bar display is unnecessary and thankfully won't be added.

That's a lot of assumptions, you must have never had a jailbroken phone, status bar icons are needed, period, arguing against them is pointless and there is no logical basis for being against them.

agentmikeyd

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.669; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I agree. I am an old windows mobile user who switched to the iphone 4. With that said, i could not be happier as ios and the iphone literally blow away all competitors, including what i thought my be stronger devices in thr galaxy 2s and the charge - they arent.

But i would love to see a couple of little WM goodies like the OP suggests, as a way to improve an already excellent experience

agentmikeyd

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.669; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I agree. I am an old windows mobile user who switched to the iphone 4. With that said, i could not be happier as ios and the iphone literally blow away all competitors, including what i thought my be stronger devices in thr galaxy 2s and the charge - they arent.

But i would love to see a couple of little WM goodies like the OP suggests, as a way to improve an already excellent experience

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Your notifications are on the lock screen, you have to unlock so your notifications are there before even seeing the status bar. Even if you disable the lock screen notifications, is a downward swipe really that hard?

What about the iPad 2 with SmartCover? You never see the lock screen on there, and it will certainly be using iOS 5... So yes, swiping down just check and see if there are any pending notifications is much more inconvenient than a simple icon in your status bar which can be seen with a quick glance, especially if you don't remember to swipe down every time you turn your device on. Usually when you turn it on, it's because you have a task in mind, so you go straight to that app.

Some people are such sheep it's unbelievable.

Last edited:

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
That's a lot of assumptions, you must have never had a jailbroken phone, status bar icons are needed, period, arguing against them is pointless and there is no logical basis for being against them.

I'm speaking only for stock iOS. If you're jailbreaking I'm sure there's already a way for you to get notification alerts on the status bar.

There are already several ways for you to see and be aware of pending notifications. The status bar is cramped with existing system icons and doesn't seem like the right place for notification alerts.

If you're jailbroken though I'm sure you can already tweak this and make it exactly how you like it.

What about the iPad 2 with SmartCover? You never see the lock screen on there

I don't get what you're saying. With a smart cover you also don't see the status bar; the entire screen is covered. Upon lifting the smart cover the lock screen becomes visible and so will the notifications.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I don't get what you're saying. With a smart cover you also don't see the status bar; the entire screen is covered. Upon lifting the smart cover the lock screen becomes visible and so will the notifications.

Once you remove a smart cover or compatible case the screen goes from being off directly to the springboard. You never see the lock screen. (I have an iPad2 with smart cover and I just did this).:D

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Once you remove a smart cover or compatible case the screen goes from being off directly to the springboard. You never see the lock screen. (I have an iPad2 with smart cover and I just did this).:D

Got it, I guess on iPad there's one extra step.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you are with your phone at the time you receive a notification you will see the popup which lets you know. If it's in your pocket you'll hear a sound or vibration which will let you know. The only time you need to pull down to see if there are missed notifications is after you were away from your phone and in that case the lockscreen will show a list of notifications much like the pull down notification center. So you'll see them if you're pulling out your phone to use it.

In addition to all of that there are also app icon badges which are visible from the homescreen. So no, you won't need to be constantly checking the notification center.

The status bar display is unnecessary and thankfully won't be added.

I disagree because not everyone checks their notifications right when they come. The point of the new notifications is that you aren't interrupted when doing something such as playing a game. Assuming you ignore the notification and continue playing your game, there's a good chance that you would have forgot that you had a notification in the first place, since there's nothing on the lock screen and no icon to tell you to look at notification centre.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I disagree because not everyone checks their notifications right when they come. The point of the new notifications is that you aren't interrupted when doing something such as playing a game. Assuming you ignore the notification and continue playing your game, there's a good chance that you would have forgot that you had a notification in the first place, since there's nothing on the lock screen and no icon to tell you to look at notification centre.

I agree, so i recommend emailing steve about it. I'm sure it won't be an issue to add, similar to the location icon that was added in iOS 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.