Biggest gaming letdown of 2007?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What be yours? It'll probably be a breeding ground for trolls, but nevertheless.

Metroid Prime 3
    Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It just wasn't Metroid. Rebranded under a different name and character and I'd likely be hailing it as a brilliant game.
    Also the music (barring the title theme) smells.

Halo 3
    "We know where we went wrong in Halo 2" they said. So they didn't, since the campain failed to get the same level of inventive story and gameplay mechanics that made the first game so good. It was just Halo 2.5 with some extra tricks to use up the 360's power.

Runners up include Lair and Phantom Hourglass.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nonsense.

Yes!

Probably the Wii's unrealized potential...so much crappy shovelware, Smash Bros. and still no memory expansion.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Heavenly Sword
    Lair
    Halo 3
    Mario Strikers Charged

All were a bit poo in my opinion, but was looking forward to them.

However there have been worse games this year, but I wasn't expecting much from them as I was for these.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

For me?

Halo 3 and Phantom Hourglass, especially Halo 3 though. Damn that game pissed me off, seriously, I beat it in a night with a buddy then....hmm...wow...just more of the same Halo 2 multiplayer? Really? No thanks, not for me.

(luckily CoD4 to the rescue!)

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Just consider this a troll meeting called on by one of its prominent members. :)

I second nonsense.

Did you ever get past 10%?

----

Phantom Hour Glass is my favorite Zelda. I like Graphic Adventures and I like Zelda, it was a good meld.

----

I enjoyed everything I was looking forward to, so I can't say anything bothered me too much, probably because nothing surprised me.

<]=)

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Lair

Halo 3 wasn't a letdown. I knew it would be a rubbish rehash even before it was released. Not a bad game but it's mediocrity merely met my expectations.

My prediction for the letdown of 2008: Super Smash Bros Brawl. (Please prove me wrong, Nintendo).

If we are going to include Mac games: Heroes of Might and Magic V. I've looked forward to that game for years. It's so broken that I can't even play it.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If we are looking into this year, I vote for Fallout 3... the old ones are so classic, so awesome that a new 3D FPS-ish Obilivion-ish version just doesn't seem right..

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It wasn't as good as Prime 1 but still better than Prime 2 and I enjoyed it. Metroid was enjoyable.

Phantom Hourglass was my handheld GOTY, you're just nuts.

I have to say the lack of Smash Bros is my biggest disappointment :(

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I knew exactly what Metroid and Halo were going to be (although I was surprised at just how hyped Halo was). I was mostly disappointed with Smash Bros getting delayed and delayed (and how Mass Effect had a bunch of bugs...booo...bugs...)

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

11. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Metal Gear Solid 4 and Smash Bros. Brawl slipping out of 2007 were my biggest disappointments.

12. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Hands down the biggest letdown for me was Dualshock 3 not releasing in the US (or worldwide for that matter). Serious how long does it take to make a controller?

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

As long as it takes to settle a patent lawsuit?

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Mario Strikers Charged
    Lair
    Mass Effect....WTF seriously
    Halo 3
    AssCreed...boring arse ****

Anticipated **** ups of 2008:

DMC4
    Army of Two
    Mercs: World In Flames
    HAZE.....hoping I'm really wrong on this
    Dead Space

Bless

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think your probably quite right on those.. I suspect some of those to be utter turkeys (especially Haze which has never impressed me in any of the video previews)...

16. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Ya i know what you mean, especially after reading about it.
    (BTW I do know the actual game is not like this)
    Pretty sick if i do say so :O

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hoping 2008 is a year of quality and not quantity. Everyone was so busy throwing out titles for xmas this year that they forgot to make them good titles.

When the DS was first launched I worried that it marked the end of 2D Metroid and Zelda games. That's coming true with the disappearance of Metroid Dread and I really doubt they're going to make a LttP2 or Minish Cap 2 from here on. God damn it DS and PSP! Remove your 3D chips plz.

18. rotlex macrumors 6502a

For me, Halo 3.

As for everyone, I waited quite some time for this, only to find it was nothing new, nothing spectacular. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but ultimately it's what made me trade all my 360 stuff for a PS3. Just needed something different I guess.

19. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Bioshock disappointed me as well. No matter how much I played it, I didn't find myself compelled to keep playing.

Same goes for Red Steel. That looked so promising, but fell short on the control system. I expected to be able to freely wield the sword, not just make it do the actions. Ah well.

Unreal Tournament 3 for PC however, now that I'm still playing. I just need a better graphics card to make it look pretty...:eek:

21. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I would have to add\agree with Mass Effect for my list. I WANTED this to be the next Oblivion for me. What I found was a good game, but far from great, IMO. Too short, too linear and too generic in many places. All IMO of course, but I was really hoping for the next "keep me busy for a year" game, LOL.

22. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Kane & Lynch

Big disappointment + I hate all the hype and false review about the game

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

cod4 is even shorter.

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, but it was ace for that short length of time... Really ace. So is the multi-player. Better than Halo? I'd say.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Isn't Hellgate London also a product of hype and letdown?

I was into the idea until I found out it was a subscription game and needed broadband (I am stuck (no, cursed) with dial-up).