Biggest issue with Mission Control (for me)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by godzilla1200, Jul 24, 2011.

1. godzilla1200 macrumors member

Look at the pictures below.

The first picture is in App exposé. I can see every window in safari (or any app) that is open in a grid (which I don't like, I preferred the old way).

The second pic is in Mission Control. When I swipe 2 fingers up, it enters this mini App exposé. The problem? There is no way to see all windows. So how am I supposed to choose window number 5 if I can't see it. This become a problem when I need to drag a picture say from safari to pages.

The fact that I can't see all windows, it renders Mission Control useless. Apple described it as an easier way to manage and have control over all your windows an applications in one place. Well, IS NOT! :mad:

Hopefully this is just a bug to be fixed soon. I don't see why it would be hard to have this mini App exposé display every window as the real App exposé.

Attached Files:

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I know that it's just a matter of taste and opinion, so I'm not knocking the dissatisfaction. But to me, it doesn't seem like a big deal to have to do app exposé first (the first screenshot) to find and bring to the top the window that you want to move to the other desktop, and then do Mission Control to move that selected window to the other screen. It only renders Mission Control "useless" if you've got a bunch of similar looking windows open - and it only takes a brief moment to find the one your looking for. If you've got a lot of stuff that looks the same open at once, then it's going to take a moment to see which one you're looking for -- and I believe that's what the app exposé feature is for, yes? ;)

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Mission Control is crap.

4. godzilla1200, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

godzilla1200 thread starter macrumors member

@NameUndecided:
    I was not referring to looking for windows. Obviously, in App exposé you can find the window you are looking for (the windows look the same for example purposes).

What I was talking about, is that you cannot see every window in Mission Control, so if you want to move one or several windows to another desktop (space) or just decide which window to select you can't. Say you have macrumors.com opened on one window, but you are working on a project and have iWork open, iPhoto, iTunes, etc. So you go to Mission Control to "switch" from Pages app to the macrumors.com window. If the window is BEHIND the other windows (from safari), how do you select it? You would have to switch app with CMD+Tab, then go to App Exposé, or just do cmd+~.

If you see the picture 1, there are 11 windows opened, one of them is macrumors.com. In the picture 2, in Mission Control, you cannot see the window of macrumors, so there is no way that I can select it to go to it or move it to another space. That is a pretty bad problem IMO. I know there are other problems regarding MC, but they don't apply to me (like the one with two displays), but Apple really need to do something about it ASAP

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I thought/think that I get what you're saying. It's just difficult to describe to one another over the text and not showing directly.

For fun, I just opened up a bunch of Pages documents, finder windows, videos, and whatever else. It's incredibly very easy for me to swipe either to app exposé or Mission Control or back and forth to find whichever individual app/folder/window I want to bring to the top or move somewhere else. I can't do that all with Mission Control alone - but I don't need to… I'm using them both, alternating. (I hope that I'm not so off the point of what you're talking about now that it's irritating). No command-tabs or keyboard shortcuts necessary for any of that. Just four-finger swipe-down or four-finger swipe-ups.

That's all for now from me. Sorry if I'm just way off base in what I'm interpreting. Like I originally said - it's all personal taste anyway. ;) Best of luck with it.

6. nightfly macrumors newbie

I think i have similar problem but worse..

with the attchd screenshot it covers all the spaces on top LOL..

is it supposed to be this way?

Attached Files:

7. godzilla1200 thread starter macrumors member

No. It's a bug. It has happened to me a couple of times, but somehow it fixed itself (maybe when I turned restarted the computer after turning it off for the night)

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

Use app expose. Double tap (not click) with two fingers on the safari icon in the dock, and you will get the same view as in your SL screenshot.

9. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

But that takes you out of Mission Control and back to the desktop. Now you can't move windows to a different space.

Mission Control provides no control over window management. The problem is NOT finding a window. It is finding a window and moving its location. App Expose is only good for selecting a window. It is not good for changing the location of a window.