What is your view of Bill Gates?

• Philanthropy: Only to hide previous sins.

Votes: 106 24.2%
  • Philanthropy: Genuine.

Votes: 220 50.2%
  • Microsoft: He's Microsoft, therefore evil.

Votes: 112 25.6%
  • Microsoft: Stop hating on him... He's an indisputable genius!

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 1997 Apple Investment: I hate him for how he tried to use Apple to beat the Antitrust suit.

Votes: 52 11.9%
  • 1997 Apple Investment: It kept Apple afloat until Steve worked magic, so He's alright by me.

Votes: 118 26.9%

• Total voters

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Its true,, i guess his comment about wishing he was not the richest man was true

That all there is for the time being on CNN

In 2008 :(

I guess in time for Vista to come out

Attachments

• bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,243

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Let us not forget that Gates is perhaps the greatest philanthropist the world has ever known. Whether or not you like MS, you have to admit his money is saving thousands of lives. I wish him luck.

Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
commonpeople said:
Let us not forget that Gates is perhaps the greatest philanthropist the world has ever known. Whether or not you like MS, you have to admit his money is saving thousands of lives. I wish him luck.

Well the reason he says for leaving is to help more people. I think its a great idea, leave MS to fail, and go save lifes, works for me.

Comment

XNine

macrumors 68040
commonpeople said:

Though his money and fame mostly comes from stolen products and monopolistic business practices. meh? who cares, he's saving lives! *smoke screen alert*

Comment

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Onizuka said:
Though his money and fame mostly comes from stolen products and monopolistic business practices. meh? who cares, he's saving lives! *smoke screen alert*

It's only my opinion, but saving lives is probably more important than arguing over which OS is better. On balance, making Explorer the default browser is a sin that's probably more than compensated by spending billions on trying to eradicate third world diseases. Sense of perspective?

Comment

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
commonpeople said:
It's only my opinion, but saving lives is probably more important than arguing over which OS is better. On balance, making Explorer the default browser is a sin that's probably more than compensated by spending billions on trying to eradicate third world diseases. Sense of perspective?

You are so right. Nevermind the little boy he raped at his neverland ranch. It's all good.

Comment

XNine

macrumors 68040
commonpeople said:

I didn't even mention "which OS was better," merely he's using the money that he has that he didn't earn honestly to make himself look like the good guy. That's all.

Comment

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
Bill Gates announced Thursday afternoon he will step down as CEO of Microsoft Corp. and company President Steve Ballmer will take over the CEO role. The changes were to take effect immediately. :eek:

Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Whatever I might think about the man's products, he and his wife are SERIOUS philanthropists and should be commended.

Balmer as CEO.. now THAT'S scary.

Comment

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Ah we are talking about philanthropists right now in History.

He said Gates has basically piggy-backed on Carnegie

That he was extremely slow to donate anything

Comment

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
A tenner says ol' Scoble saw this coming.

Good luck to Bill, but anyone with any sort of stake in Microsoft must be shaking - Ballmer as the top man is the death-knell for that organization.

Comment

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
He's not stepping down. He's still staying on as Chairman. He's just not going to be invloved with the daily operations. As a previous poster mentioned, Ballmer has been the head of MS for many years now.

Comment

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Counterfit said:
Ballmer has been CEO for years. Gates has been only the chairman for a while now.

But Gates is the figurehead, the person many people associate with MS.

This announcement is intended to make Ballmer the figurehead, or at least start the ball rolling on his transition to figurehead.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Bill Gates Transition/Retirement

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The web is buzzing with the news, announced by Microsoft today, that Microsoft founder Bill Gates will cease to have a day-to-day role in the company after July 2008, with a "smooth and orderly transition" between now and then.

Gates, who wants to "spend more time on his global health and education work," through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, has had much influence on the history of not only Microsoft but on the software and computer industries as a whole, including Apple's history.

After the transition period, Gates, who at age 50 is considered to be the world's richest person, will remain the company’s chairman and will be an advisor on key development projects.

Gates was sometimes criticized in the past for a late start to philanthropy, but has since devoted much time and attention, along with his wife, to health and education issues.

Comment

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
SO confused.

wtf does a chairman do?
why is it when you think of microsoft you think of the chairman and not the CEO like we do with apple?

THIS IS ALL WTF.

Comment

OhEsTen

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Whatever...

yellow said:
Whatever I might think about the man's products, he and his wife are SERIOUS philanthropists and should be commended.

Balmer as CEO.. now THAT'S scary.

If he was REALLY that philanthropic, he'd stop trying to cram IE down the whole worlds throat.... and create a more secure OS..... and practice fair business strategies...

There are a lot of disgusting people that do nice things once in a while....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.