Biodegradable Compostable Cases - No Plastic

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rebretz000, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rebretz000 macrumors regular

rebretz000

Not sure how many people would be interested in biodegradable cell phone cases but I just stumbled onto these. Pela Case. I just ordered 2 and I placed a $10 off coupon below. They also have 100% eco friendly screen protectors I'm going to try.

https://pelacase.com/

FRIEND-2Q4L37S

2. WNYX, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019

WNYX macrumors regular

WNYX

Thanks for bringing these cases to our attention. I'm getting one right now; just trying to figure out whether to get classic black or classic green. I was watching some review videos, and the green looks similar to the Apple Leather forest green. Which colors did you wind up purchasing?

3. rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

I order Tidal for myself and Coral for my wife. Still debating on the screen protectors since I have a supply of regular ones.

4. TSquareX macrumors member

It will be very soft plastic and will not provide much protection. Just the nature of the physical properties.

5. WNYX macrumors regular

WNYX

I just realized I included my real name in my post. I was typing that message at work, so it was out of habit!

@rebretz000 when your cases arrive, can you please give a review on the buttons? @TSquareX mentioned it's a soft plastic, so I'm curious about the button feedback. Thanks.

6. rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

I will definitely review. I’m very picky about my cases also so I hope the Pela Case is up to my standards. I’ve pretty much used Otterbox and Speck since my OG Droid.

7. rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

My cases shipped and I seen today that Apple is now selling them online and in store.

8. WNYX macrumors regular

WNYX

I don't know if you received your case yet, but I checked them out at the Apple store. The volume buttons are really, really hard to press. It's almost like squeezing a rock. Also, I read reviews that raved about how soft the case is, but the case's softness makes it slippery. It almost feels like there's a layer of baby powder on the case. I'll still purchase one because I believe in the company's mission. The cases look a heck of lot better in person. I can see why reviewers mentioned getting a lot of comments and compliments. I think this is a good thing because it can work as a conversation starter and help raise awareness.

9. rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

My cases arrive Thursday. If I lived close enough to an Apple store I would have went to check them out and maybe by the Blue version in store since it’s different than the one online at Pela. Just a slightly different blue.

10. rebretz000, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

Got my Pela case today and I really like it. The volume buttons are a little hard but not that bad in my opinion. The case has more grip than I was expecting which is nice. It definitely won’t offer the same protection as other cases. I’m going to use it for the next week or so and see how it goes. If we like them I’ll end up ordering a different color for the wife. Online the Coral looked pink, in person it’s definitely more orange.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. rebretz000 thread starter macrumors regular

rebretz000

So after a few weeks with the Pela case I am back to using my Speck Candyshell case. I liked the grip of the Pela case but overall the sides were too flimsy. They already started getting loose on the case the opening where the power button is stretch out also and starting drooping. I like the idea of biodegradable cases but those one didn’t hold up long at all.
    I know they can make harder biodegradable materials. My wife and I got biodegradable “plastic” utensils for our wedding.

12. WNYX macrumors regular

WNYX

That's unfortunate that the sides begin to get loose and droop. The concept of this case is so great. Thanks for your updated review.

13. EverOne macrumors newbie

What a pity i'm considering a Pela case, i`ll like to contribute in their mission. Maybe i'll purchase one despite the bad review..

14. EverOne macrumors newbie

Finally i order a case, if someone want a case i have a 10$ referal discount. MP me and i'll give the code, expires 21 Jun 2019