Bioshock coming for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Foop, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Foop macrumors member

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Ahhh finally. Here's hoping they inject a little OpenGL love into it.

3. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I still haven't played this :( Steam had it for $5 not too long ago, I should have picked it up.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You should have! I tried it a while back and didn't like it, but the setting has grown on me. Everyone spoke about how well it plays (basic FPS but with Star Wars style Force powers) and the story (predictable), but the whole underwater setting is what pulls me in now. Best £3 I spent on a game :)

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's exactly one of its biggest faults, it was nothing more than a FPS and an average one at that. The previous shocks were FPS/RPGs.

Compared to the previous Shocks, especially the "first" one, it's a dumbed down abomination. Even with all of its graphical glitz, BioShock still failed to convey an environment that was even remotely as convincing as what System Shock had achieved with its archaic software based engine.

7. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I find it is a fantastic game. I have it for PC, and love it. The AI is just meh, and as stated the gameplay is pretty linear, but the graphics and setting are gorgeous, and the story line is pretty immersing as well. It is nothing that you have seen before, with the whole underwater setting and the types of opponents you face. The game is pretty challenging, and there are some neat elements to the combat.

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree, Bioshock was pretty dumbed down, it had potential for so much more but it was dumbed for the thumbstick generation. I still think it was a pretty fun game (it was immersing, even if it was just SS2's plot copycat'd with changed details) if a little on the easy side.

The so called "moral choices" were really a joke, there was only one and that was slaughtering little sisters or not and actually it was a no-brainer, not killing gave you almost the same amount of ADAM (considering the extra ADAM from the bonus gifts) and a lot of goodies from Tenenbaum.

9. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I bought this for PC and went in without any expections, and turned out I loved it. I'm glad Mac sees more real games, but the sad thing is... It's 2 years late, and it will cost $49,99 whereas you can buy the PC version for 5-10 dollars.

10. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well that's what the Mac gaming world has come to. Just look at Halo 1...

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

System Shock 2 was probably one of the best RPG/Adventure games I've ever played. Bioshock is graphically impressive with an outstanding but oppressive environment. In the end it was too much for me to finish.

12. dam0dred macrumors regular

dam0dred

13. slicecom macrumors 68020

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Is it just a Cider port? Or does the fact that Feral is releasing it mean it's going to be a proper one?

irmongoose

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

So.

16. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The age of a game doesn't remove its fun. If a game was only fun because it was trendy to tell your friends about, then even $5 is too much! If it's a good game in its own right, then it's worth the full price to me.

Any bets on what the first Unreal Engine 3 game for Mac will FINALLY be? :eek: I'm waiting on three so far--officially announced but not out. (UT3, GoW and now this.)

BioShock may not be for everyone, but FPS is not a bad word in my book--I've been hoping it would show up on Mac!

Epic has the engine running native on Mac. Maybe that will help Feral. It would be weird--but possible--to have some native UE3 games and some Cider ports too! Let's hope for native.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Has Feral ever used Cider? As far as I know, all of Feral's ports are native.

18. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Just finished playing Bioshock on my Mac-based game console, AKA Windows XP via Boot Camp. :D

Great game, amazing story, unbelievable atmosphere and world design. Whoever was the art director on that game is a genius second only to the person who conceived the setting and story. Amazing stuff all around. I haven't been that immersed in a game's story line since the original Marathon series.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

isnt it a scary game?

if i cant play doom or re4 because its so effing spooky, would i be able to play this?

20. Xavier macrumors 68020

Awesome! And from a great company too! Lets hope it doesn't turn out like Fable and be released 3 years from now

21. slicecom macrumors 68020

Indeed it is a great game... which I and the vast majority of others completed almost 2 years ago. I'll get excited when developers start releasing big titles for consoles, pc and mac at the same time.

22. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

This is the problem that these game porters have. You can buy Bioshock for $5 apparently on PC, how much will it cost when it is released on the mac? $40 maybe, if not more. If you have an Intel mac you may aswell buy two or three cheap games on the PC and pay for a Windows license.

The mac game industry will struggle eventually I fear, especially if the likes of VMWare and Parallels can make gaming versions of their software.

23. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

So we can play Bioshock on the Mac when the movie (directed by Gore Verbinski) is hitting the cinemas in 2010 and my Xbox version of the game will already be three years old? Wow, Mac gaming -is- impressive. :p

Anyway, I think Bioshock was the best game of 2007, and the 2008 trophy went to Gears of War 2.

24. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

So you're a lightweight too? I barely made it through Metroid Prime 3. That really show my mettle.

Even if I don't play this game, it looks amazing and will certainly be a boon to Mac gaming, however late it may be.

25. swagi macrumors 6502a

I personally think it's pretty scary. No real horror moments meaning mean monsters.

But the dark and gloomy underwater world combined with the very impressive sound design is not for lightweights.

I wouldn't say I suffered simething like fear during playing it, but rather felt a deep and throat soaring depression growing on me while playing the game.

But it's sometimes pretty gory.

And the people saying that it's just another linear FPS - no, I heavily disagree. Though the story was linear, I would say it was rather motivating. If you compare it to Jericho or Dark Sector, BioShock really was something special.