Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Last I looked, Jan 2019 USB C is still more of a esoteric than a standard. By the time it becomes standard this Mac will be on the "vintage" list given how Apple does things, and the fact that the so called benefits of USB C don't out weight the cost of the peripherals means that most people will continue to use the current tech.

Really? Every laptop has a port and there's tons of peripherals for it. For those that aren'T there are adapters

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I love my new 2018 MBP and the power this thing has, the speed....it runs circles around my 2015 MBP. If eliminating the glowing apple and the Magsafe with the charging indicator light and the SD card slot is part of the price I have to pay, well, I'm all for it!

It's part of the price certainly, but were they necessary to remove? I see the OP's point -- knowing about the missing features at the time of purchase doesn't preclude you from missing them more as time goes on, and then ruminate about how little effort and space they would have taken to retain. We're NOT talking about floppy drives, DVD drives or even parallel ports here, but a tiny USB-A port or SD slot, which remain in widespread use and would give the option of traveling as simple and light as possible with this supposedly "mobile" device. And removing the charge indicator is just a cheap and selfish move.

Reactions: Never mind

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
SD card is only really used by photographers. Not really widespread among other MBP users.

Used by videographers & photographers. Users in the creative field that loved the macbook for this reason.

We can of course buy dongles. But do remember that macs appealed to creative users primarily. Hence the sd card slot was a great feature.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Really? Every laptop has a port and there's tons of peripherals for it. For those that aren'T there are adapters
'

Yes, but as I stated, most people don't find the extra cost worth it. When we went from USB2 to USB3, people were willing to jump on it because the speed difference was worth it. But the current issues with, and the confusion surrounding USB C are not worth it to most people, particularly given the higher cost. In real life I haven't heard anyone saying, "I'm dying for USB C, but I heard a lot of people complain about having to use dongles and adapters.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
'

Yes, but as I stated, most people don't find the extra cost worth it. When we went from USB2 to USB3, people were willing to jump on it because the speed difference was worth it. But the current issues with, and the confusion surrounding USB C are not worth it to most people, particularly given the higher cost. In real life I haven't heard anyone saying, "I'm dying for USB C, but I heard a lot of people complain about having to use dongles and adapters.

I think an even bigger reason was that you could use the same devices to connect to a USB3 port. I bet most people didn't even notice the transition. If you have USBC and you want to plug in a mouse, oh gotta buy a dongle. Wanna plug in a USB stick? Oh gotta buy a dongle. Wanna hook your laptop to the TV? Oh gotta buy a dongle.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I think an even bigger reason was that you could use the same devices to connect to a USB3 port. I bet most people didn't even notice the transition. If you have USBC and you want to plug in a mouse, oh gotta buy a dongle. Wanna plug in a USB stick? Oh gotta buy a dongle. Wanna hook your laptop to the TV? Oh gotta buy a dongle.
You don't hook your laptop to a TV with a USB port.
Having used the unibody generation I'm used to much less widely available and much more annoying MDP dongles.

HDMI port on 2012-2015 was nice, true, but I'll survive without it.

'

Yeah I also complain about dongles. (well not really since they're widely available and you can buy one if you need it literally everywhere). But you get 4x super fast ports.

It's supposed to be a Pro machine, why is it a problem when apple suddenly pulls a move that can be considered Pro? It has 4 most professional peripherals ports you can get right now, and people are pissed about it.
+ it's finally happening like it was supposed to be happening with thunderbolt since it came out... This is what i was hoping for when i bought the 2012 rMBP with 2 tb1 ports.
[doublepost=1547981369][/doublepost]
Used by videographers & photographers. Users in the creative field that loved the macbook for this reason.

We can of course buy dongles. But do remember that macs appealed to creative users primarily. Hence the sd card slot was a great feature.
There's also music/audio creatives that had practically no use for the SD slot and would have preferred let's say, a firewire port, or optical out, that's useless to video/photography demographic

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
So what if some one gave it to you? You could have said "Thank for the gift, but unfortunately this will not work for me because I need a system with an SD slot." I would be pretty upset with you if I bought you this computer and found out you did not want it, and especially then were going online and bad mouthing the present I got you. And worse, you could fix the issues for $15. After all, I could have spent this money on something else, or someone else.

Sorry to go off on you, but this was present. At least be gracious and honest with the person that gave it to you.
Cheeeees! I have nowhere said I didn't want it or don't like it, I simply said I was a bit disappointed to find I had to buy extra bits to be able to meet my needs.
]I don't think I'll bother posting on here any more if this is the sort of response a simple comment gets!
Bring back the old MacForum please, much nicer place!

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Get e thicker skin. Your post created a good discussion. Nice is overrated. :)

The problem is that while Steve Jobs had almost supernatural insight into whom Apple’s customers were and could be, and what they wanted even before they knew what wanted, Tim Cook has zero insight into either.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
Yeah people here are terrible sometimes. :(
Cheeeees! I have nowhere said I didn't want it or don't like it, I simply said I was a bit disappointed to find I had to buy extra bits to be able to meet my needs.
]I don't think I'll bother posting on here any more if this is the sort of response a simple comment gets!
Bring back the old MacForum please, much nicer place!

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I love my new MBP! Spilled a beer over it yesterday and it still works!
[doublepost=1547988390][/doublepost]
Particularly not 4 devices right? I think the TB3 ports are great, but 2 would have been fine. End up with 2 being blocked to use a Satechi Hub in order to add the missing ports anyway.

Edit: I take that back. It has a passthrough, so only missing 1 of 4, but I also gain a semi-permanent appendage.
Quit agree, two's plenty. Add an old USB and an HDMI and card slot and you've got the perfect combination - for me any way.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What Apple has done here by going all USB-C in its MacBook “Pros” is trying to shove a design philosophy down customers throats at their expense and inconvenience. Omitting the headphone jack on the iPhone was similar, but at least in that case there were benefits to the device such as thinness and water resistance. The only benefits afforded by omitting the card slot and USB-A ports on the MBP go to Apple’s wallet.

Reactions: Mendota

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
You don't hook your laptop to a TV with a USB port.
Having used the unibody generation I'm used to much less widely available and much more annoying MDP dongles.

HDMI port on 2012-2015 was nice, true, but I'll survive without it.
You’re right, you do that via HDMI, which you need a dongle for. I still don’t really understand why people are parroting Apple’s marketing. I’m a software developer, so a “pro” as you might say, and I wouldve had much more use out of normal USB3 and HDMI. It’s incredibly annoying going to a customer to present something and you forgot to take your dongle.

I can understand why some people need super fast I/O at the inconvience of this situation, but how large is that group of people really? I’m not just talking about the MBP, but also at devices more targeted towards regular consumers, like the MBA.

Why wouldn’t Apple leave at least 1 USB or HDMI port on there? Easy answer: to sell more dongles.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Why wouldn’t Apple leave at least 1 USB or HDMI port on there? Easy answer: to sell more dongles.
Well for one, it doesn't fit on the current design. :D
[doublepost=1547990597][/doublepost]
What Apple has done here by going all USB-C in its MacBook “Pros” is trying to shove a design philosophy down customers throats at their expense and inconvenience. Omitting the headphone jack on the iPhone was similar, but at least in that case there were benefits to the device such as thinness and water resistance. The only benefits afforded by omitting the card slot and USB-A ports on the MBP go to Apple’s wallet.
Thinness is also the case here tho. For better or worse, mostly worse.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The same sort of arguments were occurring when Apple introduced the Bondi Blue iMac, and Apple eschewed their older ports for a new fangled port called USB. I get teh HDMI/SD card reader port arguments, but I don't think they'd remove a port simply to sell a 20 dollar dongle, I'm not entirely sure why they removed it though

Reactions: chabig

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
OP, I do not understand your predicament at all. Your post is illogical. One possibility is that you did not understand the features available on your new computer before you purchased it. If you did not understand what you were purchasing, then the problem is yours... why are you disappointed? If you understood the features on your computer before you purchased it... why are you disappointed that you received what you ordered?

Do you see the dilemma? You have framed your post illogically.

In my opinion, it would have been more logical for you to frame this post along the lines of “I really miss the following features”, and then list them. This is most certainly not Apple’s problem. They designed a device and you purchased it. Ultimately, whose fault is it that you purchased a product that is not Apple’s best offering?
Exactly.
Every little detail about this laptop is public and free.
It's like buying fish to cook and when you taste it you say "Eww, that tastes like fish".

Reactions: HenryDJP

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
The same sort of arguments were occurring when Apple introduced the Bondi Blue iMac, and Apple eschewed their older ports for a new fangled port called USB. I get teh HDMI/SD card reader port arguments, but I don't think they'd remove a port simply to sell a 20 dollar dongle, I'm not entirely sure why they removed it though
it would be a reaaaalllly tight fit if they kept it. Wouldn't do wonders for structural integrity of these already flimsy machines either.

Attachments

• macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-52-hp.jpg
    macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-52-hp.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 147

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands

Fair, I’ll give you that. Let’s just say its the most plausible scenario. Something a bit unrelated but shows their greed is the removal of the headphone jack adapter in the iPhone X / 8 boxes while they included them before. It’s one of the reasons that my thoughts immediately go to such reasonings.
[doublepost=1547991902][/doublepost]
it would be a reaaaalllly tight fit if they kept it. Wouldn't do wonders for structural integrity of these already flimsy machines either.

Yep, I completely agree. But I’d assume the design is made after the ports are known so they can adjust the enclosure accordingly.

Reactions: Mendota

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Fair, I’ll give you that. Let’s just say its the most plausible scenario. Something a bit unrelated but shows their greed is the removal of the headphone jack adapter in the iPhone X / 8 boxes while they included them before. It’s one of the reasons that my thoughts immediately go to such reasonings.
[doublepost=1547991902][/doublepost]

Yep, I completely agree. But I’d assume the design is made after the ports are known so they can adjust the enclosure accordingly.
Even in the 2012 model, it looked more like the ports were fitted after the design of the machine not vice-versa, considering they dropped LAN.

Too me it looks more like "here's the chassis, lets cram what we can in it".
Certainly looks like that in the half-assed implementation of USB3.0 in the Mac Mini.

Reactions: mdnz and HenryDJP

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
SD card is only really used by photographers. Not really widespread among other MBP users.

Most professional and serious amateur photographers that I know prefer to use a separate memory card reader rather than the SD slot in a computer or -printer.

At one time some people used the SD card slot in the MBP as a way of providing extra storage memory, serving as an extra drive, so to speak.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Most professional and serious amateur photographers that I know prefer to use a separate memory card reader rather than the SD slot in a computer or -printer.

At one time some people used the SD card slot in the MBP as a way of providing extra storage memory, serving as an extra drive, so to speak.
so who is it really for then

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I think they have also kind of become the new thumb drive, maybe because so many PC laptops and desktops (including the iMac) do have the SD card slots these days.

I get them handed to me a lot by various folks which is why I purchased a nice little reader from Vanja. It is a little bigger than a thumb drive, but has slots for SD and MicroSD on the sides and one end has a USB-A that can flip down to convert to micro-USB and a USB-C on the other. A little bit of a “Swiss army knife” solution, but it works for me.

405ce2af42881d56f313a3ecd95b615b.jpg

Reactions: Ploki

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Actually, I have a Delkin USB-A memory card reader which is similar to what you post above, but what I'm talking about was actually a special SD card made by Transcend and a couple of other companies which actually slid into the SD card slot on the older MBPs and which served as an extra drive. One extracted it either with a special tool or a fingernail and it stuck out of the slot a little bit. A friend had one in his 2013 13" MBP to supplement the smallish internal storage available; I think he used the extra one for his iTunes library or something. I've always used external drives (first HDD and now SSD) to supplement my storage if needed, as well as for the usual backups. I needed this with my 512 GB 15" MBP more than I do now with my new MBP that has 1 TB of storage.

That Vanja looks like a very handy device to have, especially for travel! I'll have to look into that.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.