Bit the bullet & bought a MBP- now worried

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by segray, Feb 11, 2010.

1. segray macrumors newbie

I have a refurb MBP on its way for 999. Decent deal I believe but I worry every time I look at the product cycle/when to buy reference and I see that bold red "Do Not Buy!" I kept trying to hold out and see when they were going to update but it just wasn't happening. My PC laptop/Vista Monster is hanging on ever so slowly and I really long to move over to Mac. It's not like I need the latest, greatest, most powerful but hope I'm not paying too much for less product.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    $999 is an amazing deal, congrats you'll love your new machine. :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What are the specs?

Congrats
    I am sure you got a good deal

Always make the best decision you can with the information available and move on. Never second guess based on information you didn't have at the time.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You're attempting to objectivate the subjective. In other words, product refreshes are inevitable. Engaging in "waiting for the latest and greatest" mentality will lead you to insanity! Think of your situation this way, you purchased a Mac that exceeds your needs. Therefore, your needs could increase and you would still have a Mac that would address any function you throw at it. Unless your needs drastically change, you purchased a Mac that will last for years to come. Enjoy your new Mac!

Habitus :apple:

5. segray thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the base model of MBP, I didn't bother to upgrade anything yet as I'm not sure if I'd even need it. I can always do it later. W/the $200 I saved I was able to get the One to One and still be ahead $100.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

That's the beauty of upgrades, you can upgrade later. I had my MBP for 2 years before I upgraded the hard drive and I still haven't upgraded the RAM; I don't need it. Sounds like you invested in a Mac that meets your needs. No need to upgrade, at this time.

7. segray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reassurance. This forum has been so helpful the last few weeks.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I completely understand, $1000 for a computer is no joke, especially when you compare the price to more affordable models. However, as you'll experience, Apple built Macs to meet the needs of users. Therefore, finding a Mac that meets your needs protects you from an obsolete machine after so many years. This is why Apple uses industry standard components like USB, FireWire, and optical drives.

Also, these forums are great for all types of questions. Moreover, you'll find unbiased answers based from extensive experience with Macs.

Again, you made a wise investment; Apple built your Mac to last for years.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

9. devils punchbow macrumors member

I'm on the boat for my first Mac purchase as well. I find the Macbook to not look that great in the white, and cheap looking. While my needs for the computer will be fairly basic. Browsing, email, video streaming, music streaming, probably some video phoning or regular phoning. I'd like to get the Macbook Pro for nicer looking machine. As well I feel the need to wait for the update. Personally the new updates with hopefully more updated processors will be more then I need. It will meet my one need of "future proofing" my purchase. I want to hold on to this Pro for many years. OK so it will be again outdated in 6 months, but I will have the machine I need for numerous years to come with quad core. For probably the same price as core 2 duo. Possibly if my current desktop PC dies in that time. Use the Pro as my main machine since I live in a small space. Which is why I have opted against the ipad. I prefer to have a more conventional lap top style. I feel I have come to a good decision. Though going a little bonkers wondering how long Mac will go with these somewhat outdated book processors. Bonkers a little more cause I will not want to purchase as soon as new updates are released. As I will want to wait to hear user reviews, and be sure no initial fabrication defects are released.

10. harodude macrumors regular

Seems that you got a great deal, enjoy!

I noticed that my local Best Buy is telling customers to wait to buy... Crazy!

11. waynechriss macrumors regular

I felt the same too, when i got my macbook, Apple refreshed the lineup only two months later. I felt upset and wanted to sell my macbook but i thought to myself and said, hey i got a damn nice computer already what's the point for going through the trouble of getting another computer with slight aesthetic changes and bigger hard drive. Nice for you though, love those MBPs

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

you seem to have got an amazing deal so dont worry [​IMG]

13. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

If it's any constellation, i got the same refurbished MBP for $999 last fall and I couldn't be happier with my purchase! I plan on keeping my mac for many years to come. There's no reason to doubt your purchase - you truly got an outstanding bargain! :apple:

14. zappafan macrumors newbie

My 2 pence...

You'll love the MBP but I'd skip the one-to-one and go for Applecare (it's a bit more but worth it IMO).

Apple build great machines but they do go wrong from time to time. My 27 month old MBP is on it's 3rd battery, 2nd power supply (I think a third will be req'd soon) and 2nd SuperDrive.
    All work has been done hassle-free under Applecare by a 'genius' in store while I waited.
    That is excellent service plus you get 12 months of support thrown in, if you need to know something, book a "genius" appointment.

Happy crunching...

15. brendu macrumors 68020

what happened to your power supplies? do you get frequent power surges at your house?

16. zappafan macrumors newbie

The original cable (PSU to MagSafe) started fraying/twisting at both ends.

It's replacement does not have a charging/charged light glowing most of the time.
    If I disconnect and reconnect the PSU (at either end) the light returns but only briefly (a couple of minutes, usually).
    It passed a test today at my local Apple store (as it happens the battery was faulty and replaced) but I think I'll try for a new one before my AppleCare expires, just to be sure.

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

enjoy your machine, and when new ones come out, you can come back here and look smugly at all of the threads complaining about 1) what was missed out, and 2) all of the issues they have:D

18. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It could be the marketing copy gems like "Apple uses industry standard components like USB" or maybe the Apple logo after every post you make, but these forums are hardly the place to go for unbiased answers. However, you can learn a lot from other user's experiences. If you're actually looking for some unbiased information, I suggest Consumer Reports.

segray, I agree that you shouldn't regret the purchase at all. It's completely anecdotal but my refurbished machines have had more issues than brand new ones. But that's nothing to worry about if you get AppleCare. These new Macs are well-engineered and yes, should last a long time with some care and luck. Macs do have issues just like any other computer, but you'll have plenty of resources if a problem occurs.

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

you know you are the first person i have come across in 5 years that has said this. I have suspected it for a while, but never had it confirmed until now. Am also in agreement however that with applecare you really don't have to think twice about it anyway

20. heesey1010 macrumors member

segray: not that it happens a lot, but I have heard stories where people actually get slightly better specs on their refurbished machines than what is listed on the website. For instance, you might get more RAM but the same hard drive, or even both upgraded RAM and hard drive but the same processor as the base model. Regardless, be happy with your new machine! If a refresh happens this Tuesday or Wednesday, so be it...in the end it still is a Mac :).

21. bou24 macrumors newbie

I also bit the apple

Hi guys!

"welcome to the forum"
    -thanks!

I talked with a computer company good related to me and after a long discussion we ended up that the performance increase in the possible i5/i7 wouldnt make that much of a difference so I would wait, therefore i just ordered a MBP 15" 2.8ghz from them, so I'll receive it (hopefully) on monday! after that, bye bye PC ;)

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Unless you *need* the extra performance gains, there is no reason to upgrade just for a processor refresh.

I waited to buy my MBP because of the educational discount and free iPod deal to save money. A design refresh or stuff like another USB port or Expresscard 3/4 slot being added back might be worth the wait. Those things matter and the current Core 2 Duo processors are already very powerful.

23. drossad macrumors regular

A "constellation" is a group of stars.
    I believe you were looking for the word "consolation".

24. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I would personally return it and wait. Who knows, what your money could buy after the long-awaited MBP upgrade. There will be refurbished MBPros in the store then too.

Not just Apple sells AppleCare, sometimes it makes sense buying from others. Or, if you are a student, you get AC at a very good rate. Then it's a must-buy.

25. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Keep and enjoy

I'd keep your bargain machine and just enjoy it. Refurbs are fantastic from Apple; everything I've purchased in the last couple of years (mbp, ipod) has been refurbed. No problems at all. Just get Applecare before your year warranty is up.

Bought my MBP almost 4 years ago and may replace it when the new ones come out. But that's because I have a work stipend for such expenses. If it was my own $$$, I'd happily keep the one I have. With my ACD to use at home.:)