Bite SMS or Stock Messages?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mikhailov, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4s, and am thinking of switching to BiteSMS when the Jailbreak is released. I do have a few questions about it, and am curious as to how current jailbreakers feel?

I message between my iPad and iPhone a lot through iMessage. Would I still be able to do this in BiteSMS if both devices were jailbroken?

What are the serious advantages of BiteSMS besides quick replies?

Can you shut down the Messages app entirely if you prefer BiteSMS?

Which do you prefer?

How many times did I say BiteSMS in this post?

??????

Profit?

Thanks for your input!

2. Asator macrumors 6502a

Asator

It took me a long time to convert to biteSMS. I just couldn't see enough of an advantage to make the change worth it.
    But when I watched enough YouTube videos and finally did give the trial a go and then buy it, I just cannot go back at all now.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions. I'm drunk and tired. :)

3. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

That's ok. You do think it was worth it in the end, though?

4. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I would easily choose BiteSMS over standard stock messaging. Here is a list of some of my favorite features:

Quick Reply and Quick Compose
    Time Stamp Every Message
    Schedule future text delivery
    Status Bar Icon Badge

(Plus you get a free trial with no ads, so there is nothing to lose if you don't like it)

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

To answer your question. Yes iMessage still works, in fact the little message window will turn blue for iMessage or green for text message while using the bitesms quick reply or quick compose pop up.

6. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Here's another silly question: If I go to the stock messages app on my iPad, will I still see the conversations I had in BiteSMS?

7. OnNightfall macrumors regular

BiteSMS by a mile. One of my favorite jailbreak app.

8. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Very good jailbreak app, def one of the best.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

BiteSMS ... there's no comparison, even with the "notification improvements" of iOS 5.

I miss this more than my themes, and I love my themes.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I can't wait to install bite on my 4S.
    Quick reply and quickcompose is great.
    Way better than the stock messages app.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'm ready to delete Bite. It's so slow to invoke, even when it's in the background. It takes several seconds to come up every time I use it. Plus, it doesn't remember where I was at, instead displaying the main screen every time I open it.

12. OnNightfall macrumors regular

You must have an iphone 3G. It works flawless with me.

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I also like that in BiteSMS it shows the contact images. When I open the messages app, it feels so bare and plain to me without the images. I don't know why Apple hasn't implement this and Cyntact into iOS: it gives it a great finish quality.

14. onelight17, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

onelight17 macrumors newbie

you have to change the settings.. by default bitesms reverts to the conversation list when the app comes to the foreground.. you can turn it off so that it goes to where u were OR where u have a new message.. basically like your stock messages

----------

the bitesms and messagin app both use the same database that stores ur sms messages.. so everything will be the same and interchangeable in that sense... any messages u send from stock will appear in bitesms and vice versa

15. Vee_dub macrumors newbie

+1

I've been JailBroken for quite a while now and BiteSMS still remains my #1 reason to remain JailBroken.

16. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Also, you can stop a text with the delay option while sending. This is one of those features that I scratch my head and say, why didn't Apple do this on their stock app.

17. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

When you receive a message using BiteSMS, is it banner-style like the default ones in iOS 5? The demos on Youtube show that it still interrupts you Alert-style.

18. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I'm wondering that too. I'm sure there must be a setting to keep it stock.

Also thanks for answering the question about the iPad integration (iMessage). This may be a purchase for me.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can choose any type.
    Banner or letter box window.

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

One thing I hate about the stock messages app is that it takes you directly into a chat that has an unread message even if you weren't in one when you left it so that shows the sender you read it. I know I can turn that off but I don't want to. With bitesms since I can choose to have it always show me the chat list, does this mean the message won't be shown as read to the sender if I only go to the chat list?

21. onelight17 macrumors newbie

yup with bitesms it wont get read so u can come back to it later.. i find it really useful cuz i dont want some person to think im just ignoring him/her so i can come back to it later if im in the middle of texting someone else

22. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I just switched to BiteSMS .. gonna give it a go for a few days and see how I like it!

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Exactly! Finally someone who understands. I brought this up before but I was just told to turn off the read receipts. Any day now and I'll be able to jailbreak my 4S :D

24. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Only thing I'm going to do once the JB is released is see if I can change that icon. I saw a screenshot where someone had a "stock" messages icon, but it was pink with a bite taken out of it. I liked it. :)

25. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

BiteSMS added the feature in the newest release. Just go to the settings and you can change the icon. You can also now hide the stock message icon through BiteSMS.