Bittersweet.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nicolecat, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I'm selling my original 16g wifi only ipad, for $175. *tear*
    Meeting up this afternoon to make the trade.

I've ordered the ipad mini...and I'm stoked.
    But, I can't find any comparisons of the original ipad to the ipad mini.
    I'm kind of sad I'm not holding on to it to post a comparison myself...because I'm not the only one in this boat.

I've loved my "old" ipad...it's been great.
    We have a newer ipad as well...but there's just something about having the first one that 10 years from now, I wonder if I'd kick myself for selling it.

Really random...I know.

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I think iPad 1 to mini should be a great upgrade.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you still like it, why are you selling it?

4. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

It wasn't supported in the ios6 upgrade...and it truly doesn't make sense to keep it.

But I've seen some pretty sick mods you can do to them, like universal remote or build it into the wall to work multi house functions.

Plus...I don't want to be a pack rat...There's no reason to hold onto something for it to just sit in the closet until a drunken conversation comes up down the road to be like, "i still have that. Haven't used it/touched it/seen it in forever, but I still have that!"

5. Izzybeff macrumors member

I never upgraded from my original iPad because I was waiting for a mini to come out.. I'm thrilled it's finally here and am not disappointed at all! Not only is it the perfect size for me, it's an upgrade and cheaper than buying a regular iPad. I'm so happy I waited.

I was going to sell the original, but DH has decided he'd like to keep it. Apparently he doesn't want to start over on Angry Birds! Silly man! It will be nice for my mom to use the internet on when she's watching the dogs since she can use it in front of the TV too.

6. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

lol on the angry birds. I completely understand.
    I gave my DH my iphone 4 when I upgraded, and he never synced it to his settings. and was complaining about it the other day because now he'll loose the apps (since they were mine) when he upgrades.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I can ID with the not wanting to start over on some game. I went to great lengths to make sure I would not have to start over with Plants vs Zombies when I upgraded a laptop, because I'm no good at deploying the garlic, or in any of the rooftop battles, to remember a couple times i wanted to put a macbook through a window. Anyway I just wanted to be able to play a few rounds of vasebreaker endless while on hold on the phone.

As far as the iPad 1 goes, I am actually going to keep mine even though I'm finally upgrading. Don't need a camera on a device I can rack up in the kitchen and use with Bittman's recipe apps. I won't worry about getting a smudge of pesto on it trying to flip to the desserts :D

8. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm the same way, I rarely ever hold onto legacy tech unless its value has depleted so much it isn't work the effort to sell. For example I have a Sega Genesis and a Nintendo 64. I'd rather keep than sell for $20 each.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad mini is very close to iPad 2 except for LTE and iSight camera. You can look at the comparison of original iPad and iPad 2.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Heck, the iPad mini is an iPad 3 without the Retina display. All other specs are equal.

Edit: oh yeah, and the iPad mini's got FaceTime HD, a Lightning connector, faster Wi-Fi and it supports more LTE networks.

11. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

True.
    I guess I just find it strange how the original iPad is just left off the list anymore. The guy who bought mine was so excited that it was in such pristine condition. It may not be supported by updates but I think spec comparisons are still or should still be given consideration...they did sell a Loooot of them.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I know a lot of guys that have gotten into app development that got used original ipads because they are trying to make apps that they hope will run on it. Not games but things like journal apps, so they don't need the higher power.

13. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Selling my ipad 1 was tough but it's the way it works with tech. What once was great becomes old and less useful

14. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Honestly $175 isn't bad and since you already know you won't use it then it makes perfect business sense to sell. I sell ANYTHING electronic that I know I won't use over a minimum of a 6 month period.

Now if you could only get maybe $50 then it would of made more sense to keep it.

15. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

i think for haveing the ipad 1 since release date you definitely got your money's worth plus a little money in return.. I think the mini will be a great up grade for you and soon you'll forget about the 1st Gen.. Hard to beleive there's already 4 Generations of the ipad.. :cool:

16. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

No, iPad 3 has A5X processor and 1GB RAM while iPad mini has A5 processor and 512MB RAM.

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's unknown how much RAM the iPad mini's got. Of the A4 chip we've also got 256 MB and 512 MB variants. Also, even if that is so, don't forget the iPad 3 runs four times as many pixels.

In conclusion, the iPad mini's GPU is relatively more powerful than the iPad 3's GPU. To give you a comparison: the A5 chip pushing 1024 x 768 pixels is 9 times more powerful than the A4 chip's GPU. An A5X chip pushing a 2048 x 1536 resolution is only 4.5 times as powerful. (The A6X chip, in terms of graphical power, running a 2048 x 1536 resolution is just as powerful as an A5 chip running a 1024 x 768 resolution).
    Yes, in raw power the A5X and A6X chip are more powerful than the A5 chip. When you, however, keep in mind the A5X and A6X need to run four times as many pixels than the A5X is in a disadvantage and the A6X is equal.