BIZARRE!!!! 3G finds my home with GPS I am at work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westernmass, Jan 5, 2009.

1. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

That is a bad title but still this is wierd. Someone at work got a 3g for Christmas and came to show it off to me. I started playing with it and tried the maps feature and wanted to see how much better is was at locating us than my Gen1 phone. NO LIE I hit the locate button and it goes to my house. My house is about 3 miles from here and it is not like my street it went to my address. Okay, that was a fluke not sure why the heck it would do it. A few hours later I try again and it does the same thing. She does not have my address in the phone nothing. Does google or Apple think I am the coolest person in town? Did they insert a chip in my finger that every phone I hit gives my address in a locate search? Did they install an antena in house or backyard. I don't know but that is to wierd. MAybe that 3G was meant for me I don't know. I tried on my phone and it gives me my block area but not the street.

2. rkenyon macrumors newbie

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Curious, very curious. Maybe its just a fluke of the GPS satellites.

4. ghayenga macrumors regular

Or you have a wi-fi network pointed that has been mapped and is the nearest one to your current location. The iphone uses GPS+, which includes cell phone towers and mapped wi-fi hotspots.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, I've had this happen to me with a friend that recently moved. When the Maps app tries to locate me at their new place it pinpoints my location at the old place. This is because their wireless router moved along with them and the location database that apple uses thinks that particular wireless mac address is still located at the previous address.

I'm guessing you've either brought a wireless AP to work from home or someone that used to live right by you has now moved very close to your work location and they brought their wireless router along with them.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Were you inside a building at the time? It'll use WiFi if it can't get the GPS signals.

What others have said is no doubt the case: you have a WiFi hotspot at work that you used to have at home.

7. westernmass thread starter macrumors 6502

westernmass

HOLY CRAP :eek:. You nailed it. I brought in a wireless router to work we had been using at home before I bought Time Capsule. Damn!!! Not as cool as I thought :rolleyes::):cool:

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Ah.
    At first it seemed really creepy.
    I guess the only way to "solve" this would be to either move the Router home, or just wait for them to scan everything again.
    However, it should also be using the GPS Sattelites-any thoughts on that?

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

If he's indoors and the satellites' signals can't penetrate the building, they won't be a factor in it locating him.

10. westernmass thread starter macrumors 6502

westernmass

Well one thing for sure she was not logged into the wifi it was on 3G but the router is in the building and on for sure.

11. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Or submit a change for your router at Skyhook:

Change submittal here

It has happened to quite a few people, which is why we knew immediately what it was.

PS. You don't have to be logged in to the hotspot. The phone just sees the MAC address being broadcast.