Black and white with some things in color?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SDunleashed, Aug 7, 2009.

1. SDunleashed macrumors newbie

I am pretty new to final cut express and will be going to school for video production next month but want to try an effect in final cut that is interesting to me.

I see videos sometimes say its a football highlight film for a player and the entire scene is black and white except that one person or one object is in color. Does anybody have an idea what this is called so i could look up videos in youtube or something? thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To make everything black and white except for one color google "pleasantville effect." To make everything black and white except for one person, such as your highlight reel example, google "rotoscoping."

Lethal

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

4. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

If you're lucky enough that the colour you want to stay in colour is the only example of that colour in that shot, you can do it quite easily in Final Cut Express by Duplicating the shot on the timeline and putting it on top of itself in a new layer. You can then make the bottom shot black and white by using the Desaturate filter and then using the 'Color Key' filter on the top layer, colour pick the colour you want to stay in the shot, then press the 'invert' button, so hopefully everything in the shot other than the colour you've selected will then disappear, leaving the black and white of the below layers shot in full view, and all that will remain of the top layer is the colour you've selected. So even if the shot is moving, as long as it's nicely shot enough that the colour is rich and without pixellation, there won't be any bleeding. You may want to play with the tolerance and feathering options to make it perfect.

Hope this helps.