Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the U.S., the day after Thanksgiving is called "Black Friday", which is historically one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Over the past several years, Apple has participated with one-day specials at both their retail Apple stores as well as the online Apple Store. Discounts have historically been modest and can not generally be combined with other offers (such as educational pricing). Pricelists for recent years are documented on our guides.

Thanksgiving falls on November 22nd this year. Apple has not yet revealed their sale plans, but has participated annually in Black Friday with discounts since at least 2002.

Article Link: Black Friday 2007 - Apple (and others) After Thanksgiving Sale

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
$101 off iMacs and Macbooks. :rolleyes:

Not cumulative with my education discount but it might be with a corporate one. Enjoy it online or in store. ;)

stcroixsailor

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2006
i NEVER go shopping on Black Friday. Crowds are sooooo bad. mall of america is really bad... the worst probably.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The discounts Apple gives on Black Friday are laughable when compared to other stores. It is nice they do something, but you would think they could do a little more than free shipping and $100 off a $2,000 computer.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
$100 off iMacs and Macbooks. :rolleyes:

Not cumulative with my education discount but it might be with a corporate one. Enjoy it online or in store. ;)

You'll prob end up paying more on tax than the savings, making amazon cheaper in the long run. But many people want to buy at their local Apple stores, so any savings makes sense if they're going to do it anyway.

arn

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You'll prob end up paying more on tax than the savings, making amazon cheaper in the long run. But many people want to buy at their local Apple stores, so any savings makes sense if they're going to do it anyway.

arn
You'd stand to save a little here with 6% sales tax.

Lets go to Delaware!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It wasn't even until very recently that I learned what Black Friday was. We don't have that in Canada. Instead, we have our massive sales the day after Christmas, on Boxing Day (which has now become Boxing Week as merchants take advantage of the shopping frenzy). People will line up in the wee hours of the morning on December 26 to get good deals on all kinds of stuff.

Even then, I've never noticed Apple products to ever really go on any kind of discount. :(

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The discounts Apple gives on Black Friday are laughable when compared to other stores. It is nice they do something, but you would think they could do a little more than free shipping and $100 off a $2,000 computer.

Honestly, who really does good black friday stuff on $2000 computers though? Most of the Black Friday deals I've seen on computers are usually on the very low-end of the spectrum, $400-500 laptops which had been $600-700, for example. I haven't seen major discounts on $2000 Sony Vaio laptops or Dell XPS laptops or whatever.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

Thats a big deal for apple. They know they dont have to give anything and they willl still get a huge crowd, so its good that they do add this. It all counts.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Honestly, who really does good black friday stuff on $2000 computers though? Most of the Black Friday deals I've seen on computers are usually on the very low-end of the spectrum, $400-500 laptops which had been $600-700, for example. I haven't seen major discounts on $2000 Sony Vaio laptops or Dell XPS laptops or whatever.

You are correct. The majority of computers on sale that day are the cheaper models. I am just thinking of the actual discount percentage when you are only taking off $100 being something like 5-7%. Black Friday is the biggest shopping day in America, it seems like Apple lowering prices more on that day might help get them some more new customers. If those new customers turned into normal Apple customers, the money Apple would end up making off them would be well worth the extra discount price.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
You are correct. The majority of computers on sale that day are the cheaper models. I am just thinking of the actual discount percentage when you are only taking off $100 being something like 5-7%. Black Friday is the biggest shopping day in America, it seems like Apple lowering prices more on that day might help get them some more new customers. If those new customers turned into normal Apple customers, the money Apple would end up making off them would be well worth the extra discount price.

Possibly. Although I don't think Apple wants to get into the business of massively discounting their products for any reason or special occasion.

Either way, again, I think Black Friday has become more about deals on cheaper electronics/computers/etc. I just haven't really seen anyone use it as a way to push the more expensive products.

-Zadillo

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I hear the total amount of money Americans spend on black friday is enough to end world hunger. No, I'm not being sarcastic. :(

*gets in line for best buy*

I highly doubt that (sounds like one of those things that is thrown around but probably can't be backed up). I've heard various stats that Americans who shop on Black Friday (and that wouldn't even be all Americans) spend something like on average $800-1000 or something.

So even if say, 200 million Americans spent $1000 on Black Friday (and I don't think that many Americans spend that much, I'm just pulling that number out there), that would some out to something like $200 billion. I don't think $200 billion is enough to "end world hunger".

-Zadillo

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I highly doubt that (sounds like one of those things that is thrown around but probably can't be backed up). I've heard various stats that Americans who shop on Black Friday (and that wouldn't even be all Americans) spend something like on average $800-1000 or something.

So even if say, 200 million Americans spent $1000 on Black Friday (and I don't think that many Americans spend that much, I'm just pulling that number out there), that would some out to something like $200 billion. I don't think $200 billion is enough to "end world hunger".

-Zadillo

Maybe it was prenatal care for women in the third world... :confused:

I just remember a staggering stat about black friday. Besides, it's not that hard to spend $1000 on christmas gifts without realizing it.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Maybe it was prenatal care for women in the third world... :confused:

I just remember a staggering stat about black friday.

I'm sure that whatever amount is spent could probably be used for all sorts of good things. But then again, a lot of the American retail economy is dependent on people spending money on black friday as well, so if the suggestion is seemingly that if Americans didn't spend any money then but put it into some fund for whatever (world hunger, whatever), the benefit might be outweighed by serious repercussions for the American economy, which would spiral out to the global economy, and presumably lead to global thermonuclear war.

-Zadillo

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I'm sure that whatever amount is spent could probably be used for all sorts of good things. But then again, a lot of the American retail economy is dependent on people spending money on black friday as well, so if the suggestion is seemingly that if Americans didn't spend any money then but put it into some fund for whatever (world hunger, whatever), the benefit might be outweighed by serious repercussions for the American economy, which would spiral out to the global economy, and presumably lead to global thermonuclear war.

-Zadillo

I know. I'm not in any way suggesting that Americans don't spend money. Heck, I plan on dropping all kinds of dough this friday...

It was more of a perspective thing. Like, "wow, Americans spend enough money on gifts to end world hunger. Thats a lot of fracking money!"

As I said, I shall now go wait in line at Best Buy. I think I'll buy a submarine. That way I will be safe from global thermonuclear war. :rolleyes: :cool:

TheRuggedLion

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Detroit

-Zadillo

Wow. Sounds like a good excuse to tell my girl on black friday, when buying a new DSLR.

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
I thought Apple offered a 10% discount for online purchases last year. Or was I imagining that?

itgoesforfun

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2004
With Corporate Discount online ONLY

Last year (2006) the Black Friday price could be combined with the Corporate discount only online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.