Black Friday 2009

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Black friday is on November 27 this year and I have been hearing some really awesome things.

Blu-Ray Players for $49.99
    1TB HDD $49.99
    Blu Ray Discs $5-$10 depending on release date
    46 Inch TV $599

So have you heard of any other deals that will be available? Are you going to be "camping out"? I know I will! I'm stoked.

EDIT: Apprently Target will be selling some 32 LCD's for $250

2. celticpride678

I usually look at this site: http://www.blackfriday.info/ for all the ads on Black Friday. Looks like a good year this year. Hoping to get AppleCare a little cheaper.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. timerollson macrumors 65816

The only thing I'm looking to buy this Black Friday is a 32" HDTV and a digital camera. I might have better luck online though.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Walmart is selling [Right Now] a 32 Scepture 720p LCD for $318.

6. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'm skeptical of buying a brand I'm not too familiar with. I was looking more at the LG branded LCDs. Do you have experience with this brand?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Has anyone heard anything about the Canon Rebel XS on sale anywhere? I'm getting my dad one and was hoping to find it cheaper than the $500 Amazon currently sells it for.

8. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have had a 37" 1080p Scepter for the living room going on 3 years now and have had no problems. The contrast isn't as good as some of the 'nicer' names, but for several hundred dollars less (at the time) than a comparable set, I took the chance and it has paid off.

With my good experience with the 37", I bought a 23" for the bedroom. Again, the specs didn't completely match other sets, but the price was hard to argue against. The 23" did come with one stuck pixel (a dim blue) in one corner, but it is hardly noticeable unless on a white background.

That's two good experiences with the Sceptre brand from one person. You may want to look at some reviews on Newegg for Sceptre sets as well.

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Honestly, no. BUT I do know that most parts within TV's nowadays (in a LOT of the smaller brands) come from the same company reguardless of the brand...samsung makes parts for many of the "no-branders", I believe. ALSO I have learned that on BF 2009 target will be selling 32's for $250, don't know what brand though, most likely westinghouse.

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

do you guys think i can find a garmin nuvi GPS on black friday under $100....(like a best buy or target?):confused:

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

black friday is such a scam. the only thing I lose is my time and patience. Another means for the rich to keep us everyday peons down :p

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've owned a Scepture. It's supposed to be Sony's off brand and it's crap. With LCD TVs I believe you get what you pay for. I bought a 42" 1080p Scepture for $1k when every other bigger brand was going for $1500 +. The reason for the price difference showed.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fat chance on this one. Why would Apple's BFS be any different from all other previous years?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My same reasoning.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not going to look anywhere except slickdeals. I am not in need of buying anything except for gifts for others.

16. geekgirl macrumors regular

I'm really needing a new TV and new digital camera, and wish I could take advantage of the Black Friday sales this year. However, after last year, there is NO WAY I am going through the nightmare again.

17. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

so what happened to you? Last year I dented my car in ridiculous traffic, for which we couldn't even find parking, then waited in line for count em SEVEN hours for a $100 laptop deal for which we found out the store only had 3 of them in stock. Its a way for them to get you in their crap stores to buy crap at only moderately discounted prices that you didn't even really want or need in the first place. S C A M

18. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I have a westinghouse in my bedroom, only 720 and its got GREAT picture.. sound isnt too good though but I have SS.

If this was one of the featured items I doubt they only had 3 in stock.

I go for the movies! (and this year the 1TB hdd's too) Last year I bought 49 DVD's all at $2 a piece..not old ones either.. AVP2 I am legend 300 The Omen All American Pies... I could go on forever. This year I will be LOADING up on some blu ray.

no., sorry, but no.

I am 100% positive we will see GP's in the $59-99 range but that will most likely be the lowends. I don't know if the type you are referring to is or not.

19. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

BHPhoto.com - $480 (no tax/shipping)

20. geekgirl macrumors regular

Waited in line at Target for over an hour and a half in the freezing cold. The line was decent and well-mannered, we were about 25th in line, until around 5:30am, when people started milling around in front of the store doors in the parking lot, and attempting to budge in line stealthily (seriously, like we aren't going to notice that suddenly someone is right behind us who wasn't there 10 minutes ago). The line basically was supposed to be single-file, to the left of the doors, against the building front. The security guards tried to disperse the people who were massing in the parking lot, then settled for just keeping them back.

Target had a huge line of shopping carts blocking off the front, but as soon as the doors opened, I could see a bunch of college age men JUMPING the barricade of carts, and basically trying to leap over people to get in! I was scared for my life at that point, and just tried to keep my younger sister in hand's reach so we didn't get separated. The guards managed to grab a couple of the jumpers, and told them that they were not going into the store at that point, but a few got by, and nearly knocked over people.

We ended up getting most of what we wanted (okay, one specific item, and one that ended up being better), but we just could not believe what we saw that day. People would take things out of other people's carts!!!! It was a free-for-all.

I later found out that the group of guys that had charged the doors was well-known for snapping up tons of black friday electronics and toy deals, then selling them on eBay closer to Christmas.

I don't think there is anything that could induce me to leave my parents' home at 4am this year, even though we did end up saving well over $100.

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, where exactly is that $50 1TB HDD at? As in, what store will it be at?

22. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

23. geekgirl macrumors regular

Okay, so I caved, and went Black Friday shopping with my mom and sister.

Funniest thing ever: Some idiot 20-year-old guy jumped the barricades, laughing the whole time. He knocked over a young woman, and as he came back up, a middle-aged woman employee grabbed him by the hood of his sweatshirt, and dragged him over to the far end of the barricades and told him he was NOT allowed in the store. Then she CALLED THE COPS ON HIM!!!!!
    Priceless moment...

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually avoid the malls on black friday and last friday was no exception. From viewing the deals I saw really very little that would tempt me to head on out.

I was able to buy everything I needed online w/o waking up at 3:00am and waiting in line for hours.