Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just ahead of Thanksgiving and the busy Black Friday shopping holiday in the U.S., some app developers have discounted their iOS and Mac apps for a limited time.

Black-Friday-App-Store.jpg

We have been tracking App Store price drops on our sister website AppShopper and found early deals on popular apps Pixelmator, Linky, Lost Within and more.

Pixelmator-icon.jpg
Pixelmator for iOS [Direct Link] has been discounted from $4.99 to $1.99, which is 60% off and the image editing app's lowest price since it went on sale for 99 cents in July 2015.
Pixelmator is a powerful, full-featured, layer-based image editor that lets you touch up and enhance images, sketch and paint, as well as create advanced image compositions on iPad and iPhone alike.
Pixelmator for Mac [Direct Link] is also on sale for $14.99, which is 50% off its regular price of $29.99. The OS X image editing app last went on sale for $14.99 in April 2015.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions amazingly simple. Once your images are ready, access them anywhere with iCloud, send them to iPhoto or Aperture, email, print, share, or save them to popular image formats-all right from Pixelmator.
Linky.jpg
Linky for iOS [Direct Link] is on sale for 50% off during Black Friday week, lowering the app's price to $1.99 from $3.99. The popular link, text and sharing app was last discounted to $1.99 in November 2014.
Linky lets you easily share webpage links, images and text extracts to Twitter, Facebook and App.net from your iPhone and iPad.

Write your post, choose which preferred social networks and Linky will do the rest! You can connect Linky to Twitter, Facebook (Profiles and Pages) and App.net.
Lost-Within-icon.jpg
Amazon Game Studios has discounted Lost Within for iOS [Direct Link] to $1.99, which is over 70% off its regular $6.99 price and the app's lowest price ever.

The high-rated iPhone and iPad survival game, an Editors' Choice on the App Store, last went on sale for $2.99 in October 2015. Read our Lost Within review on TouchArcade.
From the developer of Prey -- Survive a haunted asylum and its monstrous Inhabitants. Confront a legendary killer who prowls the abandoned wards. Scavenge and create makeshift weapons or conserve your resources and employ stealth tactics to sneak past the lurking horrors. When all else fails, run for your life or find a place to hide. To escape, you must uncover the asylum's dark mystery: the shattering secret that led to its condemnation. There are many doors, but there is only one way out.

Todo-icon.jpg
Todo for iOS [Direct Link] is on sale for 99 cents, down from $4.99. The popular to-do list and task management app was last discounted to $1.99 in October 2015, but 99 cents is the app's lowest price ever.
Todo - The ORIGINAL To-Do and Task List is the world's first, and one of the most popular, powerful, and award-winning to-do list and task manager iOS apps ever--now on Apple Watch! Todo is used by millions of individuals, families and teams for GETTING THINGS DONE.
Also on Sale

- Door Kickers: $4.99 -> $1.99
- AG Drive: $3.99 -> $1.99
- The Cursed Ship, Collector's Edition (iPhone): $4.99 -> Free
- The Cursed Ship, Collector's Edition (iPad): $6.99 -> Free

Though not an App Store deal, four developers have teamed up to offer a a software package containing movie-related apps, which is available at a discount for Black Friday. The Blockbuster Kit includes Boom 2, Beamer 3, Waltr, and Elmedia Player Pro for $29.90 through Cyber Monday, at which point the price will go up to $50. A description of the included apps is below.

- Boom 2 - World's most advanced app for sound boosting.
- Beamer 3 - The first and the easiest way to stream any movie to Apple TV.
- WALTR - World's fastest way to get any movie into your iPhone & iPad.
- Elmedia Player PRO - One of the best ways to watch movies on your Mac.

Follow our Black Friday roundup to keep track of the best deals on Apple products and accessories.

Article Link: Black Friday App Deals Include Pixelmator, Linky, Lost Within and More

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Pixelmator for Mac should update their description:

"Once your images are ready, access them anywhere with iCloud, send them to iPhoto or Aperture"

Can Pixelmator save my large 5MB mages to multiple floppy disks?

Reactions: nicho

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Anyone on how does Pixelmator compare with Photoshop on OSX? Debating on whether or not to go Adobe CC or trying the smaller developers like Pixelmator and Infinity.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Anyone on how does Pixelmator compare with Photoshop on OSX? Debating on whether or not to go Adobe CC or trying the smaller developers like Pixelmator and Infinity.

They do a free 30 day trial:

http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/try/

I use it and really like it (one of my fav Mac and iOS apps, the devs are also really quick with updates and incorporating new features). But as always depends what you want to do and what you're familiar with.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

It's a great piece of software and great value for what it is, it's no PS replacement for me, but it depends on your usecase is really, take the trial get used to the UI and see if it works for you :D

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm really hoping iStat Menus does a black Friday sale. I've been waiting a few weeks to see if they do it. I really don't wanna shell out the $18 bucks, but I would happily pay $12. If they don't do a black Friday sale I'll probably end up getting it at some point though.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
For $15, just buy it. It is very powerful and easy to use. The vast majority of non-professional users will never feel any limitations in what can be done with Pixelmator. That said, Infinity is even more powerful, but has a higher learning curve.
For what it's worth, I don't like the iOS version at all.

danmcg

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
is anyone else receiving an error when trying to purchase Pixelmator on iOS? App Store says "This item is currently being modified, please try again later". I want to catch the sale price and I've never had a problem purchasing apps before.

Yup same here. I've seen that before. Just try again in a few hours and see if it works then. If not, oh well. I'm buying it because it's on sale to play with. I haven't needed it as of yet so if I miss the sale then I just won't end up using it...

Reactions: darwen and archvile

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
is anyone else receiving an error when trying to purchase Pixelmator on iOS? App Store says "This item is currently being modified, please try again later". I want to catch the sale price and I've never had a problem purchasing apps before.
That error should go away in a few hours. It happens to me usually when it hasn't taken long since the price change took effect.

Reactions: archvile

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
Awesome. Be nice if there were a list of games going on sale... maybe soon?
I think we can all expect more to go on sale today. I'll try and update my post if any more of them pops up.

supersharp is still 1.99 ?
Check back again in a few hours; it should go down to 99 cents for you by then. I'm in a different country (SEA) where changes have taken effect.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I think we can all expect more to go on sale today. I'll try and update my post if any more of them pops up.

Check back again in a few hours; it should go down to 99 cents for you by then. I'm in a different country (SEA) where changes have taken effect.

But... where is this list? How are you finding these out? :)

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
I was curious how you knew e.g. Broken Age is going on sale.. Mine shows up as $9.99 in my wishlist.
I think price changes usually shows first for us residing in Southeast Asia. In my wish list... Broken Age, for example, already appears as the discounted price of $2.99 instead of the original price that you're currently seeing. You'll definitely see the price change later. :)

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I think price changes usually shows first for us residing in Southeast Asia. In my wish list... Broken Age, for example, already appears as the discounted price of $2.99 instead of the original price that you're currently seeing. You'll definitely see the price change later. :)

Ah ok sweet, thank you! I'm hoping a bunch of other things go on sale. :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I logged into the Singapore store, and can search things I'm interested in to see the sale price - in theory - of what will happen in the USA. Doesn't seem to be much activity, yet.

Edelheid

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
I logged into the Singapore store, and can search things I'm interested in to see the sale price - in theory - of what will happen in the USA. Doesn't seem to be much activity, yet.
You can also change the country when visiting the iTunes site. Admittedly, it's not as useful as searching directly in the App Store, but for those who are also curious you can google the app name and change the URL to any of these: JP/PH/SG.

For example:

https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/broken-age/id887649233

(Changed US to SG. Price shows as SGD 3.98 which is more or less the equivalent of USD 2.99)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You can also change the country when visiting the iTunes site.

For example:

https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/broken-age/id887649233

(Changed US to SG. Price shows as SGD 3.98 which is more or less the equivalent of USD 2.99)

Right, thanks. I just clicked the flag at the bottom of my iTunes app and switched to Singapore. Don't even need to actually log into an account there or anything, which is nice. I'm hopeful we'll see a bunch of sales, but I guess we'll find out soon!

Reactions: Edelheid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.