Black Friday Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ghostwriter, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ghostwriter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

Rumors are hitting the street that Apple may discount Mac's "up to 25%" on Black Friday. Heres my question:

If I buy a new MacBook Air today (Friday), and Apple discounts the Air on Black Friday, am I entitled to a refund of the difference under Apples 14 Day Price Change Policy?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I would think not. 25% seems unreasonable for a bf discount.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Apple will not discount their Macs up to 25%. They never have, and they never will.

Every year........ *shakes head*.........

4. neteng101 macrumors 65816

5. ghostwriter thread starter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

I agree. Sounds too high to me as well.

Whatever the discount ends up being, can I get a refund of the difference if I buy the MB Air today?

Thanks.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, but don't expect any discounts to be applied towards the Macbook Air. Apple has never done a storewide discount on BF, it's usually on select Macs.

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Usually the discount is like 1 dollar more than the EDU discount and it doesn't stack unfortunately, so you are better off just buying now IMHO. That being said, other resellers may have better deals so that may be reason enough to hold off, if you don't mind purchasing the machine from a reseller.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Last year, the Black Friday discounts on MBPs and iMacs were $100 across the board, for all model levels. I don't know about the MBAs, but it would be assumed to be the same.

9. ghostwriter thread starter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

A crystal ball would come in real handy right about...Now!

10. ghostwriter thread starter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

Doesn't Apple discount the Air every holiday season?

11. Durious macrumors 6502

No, they've changed pricing structures a few times on the air but they were not temporary discounts. I think they finally achieved a good "pricing parity" with the new models, but we'll see.

Don't count on huge discounts never seen them and likely never well.

12. OSMac macrumors 65816

Will they price match during the extended Christmas return period as well,
    can you buy and use now and call on Black Friday for the $50 off?

13. mesca macrumors member

I have another kind of question: could i add the apple's on campus discount with the blackfriday's one?

14. ghostwriter thread starter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

Apple has a 14 day Price Change Policy for online purchases but I'm not sure if the same protection applies to in store purchases.

15. ghostwriter thread starter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

Talked to one of the Apple reps at my local store today. He said if you buy the Air today and it goes on sale Black Friday, the buyer can return to the store to "negotiate" a refund of the difference.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt very seriously Apple would discount that much on Black Friday. Remember, the prices are valid on the website as well as in their stores. Apple is so profitable because they have high margins. To undercut themselves so much on margins would not be worth the one-day boost in sales. In recent years, it's been $100 or so on select computers. They have offered discounts in the 25% range (or even higher) on some small ticket items (e.g. Bento for $35 instead of $50), but the dollar amounts are much lower and the margins higher on those products, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see some discounts like that.

Also, they suspend their price guarantee during Black Friday event, IIRC, so it is valid only on purchases that day.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

IOW, nothing official. The AppleInsider discount is valid through the 19th. I'd be very surprised if any Black Friday discounts on the MacBook Air are better than that deal, or if they'll extend to any CTO model.

18. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

Typically, you can not combine discounts. So it would either be the education one or the black friday one.

19. rubberwheels macrumors member

What about the printer promotion? I'm in need of an all-in-one type of thing. Cause I'm skeptical about waiting. Since this is relatively new, I'm thinking it wouldn't be discounted. Also, I get the 50 dollars student discount and a 100 dollar printer promotion. That's saving 150 on the spot.

20. alamgirian6329 macrumors newbie

student discount takes $X off of apple store prices depending upon your school. If the whole apple store is discounted on BF, then the student discount would be further $$$ off of the price on apple store (online).

Thats how it SHOULD work in theory. Being and old campus rep or at least thats how my campus store was set up. Now for some schools with authenticated logins and pre-configured systems, it will most likely not work. But for the ones that it brings you back to main apple store with standard product offerings, IN THEORY it should stack and work. I cant recall if it did on my store... coz I never had to buy anything. I would get my macbooks from Apple and for anythign else, i would bill it to the company :)

BEST JOB I EVER HAD !!!

21. rubberwheels macrumors member

haha sounds pretty awesome. if that was true, then i would wait till black friday. but i doubt they'll discount the new macbook air.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm not sure if the Air has been discounted, but this is not really about the Air in particular, but rather it's a new model and there's just no reason to discount new models, especially when they are selling as well as the new Air. Older stock will usually get the BF discounts, but if you haven't bought yet, it's certainly worth it to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens.

23. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna predict they won't discount the new MBA.

a) It's super-new. And selling presumably well, so they don't need to.

b) They've never discounted it on Black Friday before...

and

c) BestBuy is reportedly offering a $125 gift card on Black friday with the Purchase of 13" MacBook Pros and 21" iMacs. Nothing else. I can only assume Apple will follow suit with $100 of MBPs and iMacs as per recent years.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No. No.
    What is ur source?
    U can't be this dumb. Macs don' t need to be 25 percent off to sell very well. It sells already.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed. Apple really doesn't do "sales" even for black friday. Yeah, they'll have some "incentives" but it won't be a cheaper price for the Macs. Why discount a product when its selling so well. Discounts are used to drive up sales or get people in the door. Neither of which apple needs to do.