Black Friday Shopping!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cybergypsy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Wondering what people bought today, Myself I got a Navigon2100 for 99.00 and a jawbone for my sons iphone for 69.00 all on line :)

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

where did you get the navigon at. i was looking for a gps on the cheap.

3. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

I didn't go shopping today - I already bought all my Christmas presents. :)
    I had them done about a week before Turkey Day. [:
    My boyfriend had to work at 6am this morning though :/

But I bought him a refurbished ipod nano 4gb :) $100.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't understand why anyone would want to get up to go shopping so ****ing early today.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Happy shopping. The malls must be crazy down there today.

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I got my wife a garmin nuvi 200 for about 160 at best buy.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I slept till 11:00 and refuse to set foot into any sort of retail establishment this weekend. :D

8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I got up at 5:30 and went to the Office Depot to get a LaCie 500GB external drive. But then I came right back home and went back to sleep. :)

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i woke up at a quarter to 8 am this morning. didn't really get anything huge, just some small items at deep discounts.

2 2gb sd drives
    100 pack dvd+r drives (i hope they can burn on a macbook)
    some wii games at eb (they had buy two, get one free)
    pursuit of happyness

so i got everything i wanted today, and by the time i hit best buy at 8:45, it was pretty calm, and office max was quiet. at least i'm not like those people that stood in line all night, i'm never going to do that.

10. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

11. Cybergypsy thread starter macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Staples :)

I agree online dosent count :)

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

win.

I don't see whats so special about getting a discount on ****** brand merchandise with 100000000 other people there.

Like you see these no-name brand 32'' LCD tvs on sale for like 400 bucks.
    1. They'll probably break in 6 months
    2. You have to wait in line forever and get up at 4am to get one.

No thanks. I'll pay extra to have my nice BRAVIA delivered at my door step.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I went to the Apple Store on the Plaza during my lunch hour to pick up iWork for $68.00. It was 11:30 in the morning and it was crazy busy in there...

14. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I got my 160GB Western Digital external HD for 69 bucks this morning. Pretty much my biggest expenditure of the day.

It is fun though, those who haven't done it should go at least once in their lives.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I worked enough of them to know enough to stay away.:) I did have to venture out around 10 and the traffic was light. Im sure the rush was 6am and will be busy about 4.

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Happy Shopper Here...

Boy, I had to look for a Black Friday thread to share. I feel like a bandit!

I just stopped in at BestBuy... wasn't planning on shopping today, I had lots of errands to run. Here it is about 5 o'clock, and while at Staples I see an Acer 17" monitor for $149 (with additional mail-in rebates bring it down to $89). I thinking "not bad", but I figured Best Buy could do better. I finish buying my filing supplies, and hit Best Buy. Niiiice DVD bin with $5 movies. I picked up Adam Sandler's "Click", which I liked, but bailed on the rest. I like movies that tug at the heartstrings for when I'm feeling blue.

Then I went seeing if they had some monitor deals... after looking around, it all looked like standard fair... I asked a floor person for any deals $149 or under for LCDs. He leveled with me and said, even though he just started for the day, most of the Black Friday deals were likely all sold out earlier this morning (which I would concede, but fate always pushes me toward looking anyway). I saw a cart with an HP machine on it and a monitor... "Is this for sale?" I asked. He had to check. While following him around, curiously I saw another unpriced monitor in its box sitting on a service desk, that looked rather nice, so when he returned telling me it was probably for another customer... I asked, "Hey, is this for sale?" He went to get a price check. When he rang it... he had the FUNNIEST look on his face. "Uh.... its $149." "Really? Great! I'll take it."

If I was a cartoon, my feet would have been running before they hit the ground again. 22" Widescreen LCD monitor for $149? Aw, hells yeah!

While clutching it look raw meat in a dog pound, I checked around and found a nice External drive for my iMac. 500GB USB Seagate FreeAgent Pro for $139. Yeah, that worked for me too.

$300 dollars later and I'm driving home cackling like a mad man. My 20" Sony Trinitron CRT (that I'm currently using as my second monitor) has seen better days and every so often the display goes all fuzzy. Not to mention its so huge, the last time I moved it I managed to drop it so while the performance hasn't changed, its casing is splintered at a corner. Now, I need to hook up this FreeAgent drive and do my absolute best to allow it to be for Time Machine ONLY, and not start filling it with the contents of a rabid webmaster/developer/multimedia enthusiast. :)

Ok... hooking everything up now, hope it all works! :D

~ CB

17. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

My feelings exactly! :cool:

18. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

tell me what you think about this monitor.. i ordered it online last night with the black friday deal. does it feel cheap? does it atleast look nice? any pics? thanks!

19. doctor newb macrumors newbie

I made away with a nice sharp 42 inch lcd for 800 and i used my 100 gift card so i made out pretty good. I also got a cheap gps for 130 to give to my dad. But the one thing i wish i grabbed was the 500 gb external hd for 80.

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm using it right now. So for its fantastic. The colors are solid, the brightness is pretty good.. The sharpness of the picture is not quite is good as the iMacs built-in display, but once plugged in, Leopard auto-recognizes it and gave the H22W its own icc color profile. Don't know if this is something Apple just had built-in or if it was able to generate automatically, but it smacks of a somewhat opitimized experience out of the box. That said, the color on the iMac built-in display is slightly differentiated from the Envision by hue, but I plan to calibrate that difference out of the equation at some point.

I found these specs (ignore the gushing sales copy). I'm new to Envision in general, so I'm hoping this is a good experience I won't regret.

I found that the display controls in MacOS X automatically support the "rotation" ability. I had to stop messing with it. If I was in publishing, or currently working on a portrait aspect digital painting, I'd be ecstatic... as it is, the feature only leaves me slightly anxious for when that day comes.

Connecting the monitor to its base feels CHEAP. Once it snaps in though, it all feels/looks pretty good. I'd post some shots but my desk is still a mess after lugging that Sony "air conditioner heavy" CRT off of it. :D

In short, this passes my tests. Many of the LCDs I've been seeing in the stores have been worrying me with how fuzzy they look. This looks great. I'm very happy with it. I did notice that the refresh rate appears to be locked at 60 Hertz. Seems fine, but I've started getting used to faster rates.

Doing a quick Google product search, I have every impression that I could "flip" this monitor on eBay for a decent profit if I weren't completely happy with it myself.

~ CB

21. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Nice. Who was selling that? What brand? I know all the Leopard users are out in spades spying on new external HDs.

~ CB

22. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I went out this morning to get a 2gig USB Flash Drive and a 2 gig SD card both for $12.88 an then saw an HP all in one for $34.00 and got it.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I couldn't find anything worth buying, except the MS Office deal, which I bought online.

24. firelord901 macrumors member

I got the Office season 1 &2 for $25. Basically went out to get some DVDs. I forgot to run into best buy to see if they had any miniDVs left since it was 2 for $4.

25. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i got 180's earmuffs w/ headphones built in & a new scarf. and at borders the jim morrison scrapbook. everything was 20% off