Black Friday...what did you buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Nov 28, 2008.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm happy to say I did today's shopping from the comfort of my couch :) Anybody else find good deals?

I bought:

• Apple TV -- for my parents, bought it from Apple Online. I think they'll really enjoy it.
    • Asus 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor -- for my dad, Newegg had them for $139, no shipping, plus $50 mail in rebate! My mom and I are going halfsies on it.
    • Linksys WAP for my sister/her fiance -- they both have laptops but can only use one at a time with the cable. On sale for $40 at Newegg, no shipping!
    • "Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel" -- for my cousin

...and for me, some early Christmas presents. A Panasonic DMP-BD35K Blu-Ray Player (from Amazon, lowest price I could find), and a Western Digital "My DVR" SATA Expander Hard Drive for my TiVo.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

nothing for me. I start my shopping next week maybe.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Technically it wasn't a black friday thing, but in speaking to my mom last night she had requested a couple of cookbooks and a cookbook holder so I ordered that, a couple of DVDs for dad and a couple of DVDs for myself. Nothing spectacular. I don't do the 5 am BS, I did it once and that was enough to last my entire lifetime. :D

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah same here. Nothing's worth getting up that early for on a day off :)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did it once, also, with a friend who loves that kind of thing. My personality is such that, I find it really entertaining as a social event, but I wouldn't do it for the benefit of the sales.

I did make three purchases yesterday, and today, however... although predominantly for me. :eek: I bought new earphones for my iPhone yesterday, as well as a Kenneth Cole suit on discount at Overstock, and then I bought a mixture of a present and something for me (to distribute the shipping costs!). So my spending for the week is done. :eek:

Although that Newegg display deal is pretty good. I'm half tempted to buy an LCD myself and replace the awful display (CRT! :( ) in my office with it, just to spare myself of being subjected to that horrible thing for the rest of the year. :eek:

I don't really exchange presents that much... my family doesn't really get or give them. They only did it for Christmas to humor me as a kid, and now they don't even do it for birthdays. I do need to get a couple more presents, though.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So far, I haven't bought anything. However, my wife and daughter are out trying to stimulate the economy the best they can.;)

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I braved a WalMart black friday. Got there around midnight, and waited until 5AM for the 50" HDTV and Blu Ray player. The doors opened at 5AM and it was a mad dash--you had to run to the items to save one. Others who cut the line from the parking lot charged into the line with shopping carts. I did get my TV and Blu Ray player, though! Afterward I headed to Kohls for some clothes for others and Christmas decorations which was much more organized. So in total:
    50" TV, Blu Ray Player, WALL-E Blu Ray, electric drum set, bluetooth headset, clothing, decorations, prince of persia, and Fallout 3.

Happy Black Friday!
    Steve

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Black Friday is pointless. I don't know why anyone would want to get up at 5am and go stand in huge lines to save a few bucks. Besides, with the economy in the *******, most stores will end up having more sales this year the week before christmas when they realize they're still in the red.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ I've never really gone for any Black Friday deals, but I do have to say, I bought my last television as a Cyber Monday deal, and it did beat pricing for comparable televisions for ... something like the next 18 months, which is fairly impressive to me at least.

I'll be curious to see how much incentivizing retail does to try to salvage the season. In the past, even during bad years (like after 9/11), it seems to me they still showed off their deepest discounts today.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I bought some pasta for dinner, and some burgers for the weekend.

12. FireEater macrumors member

I just bought a Dell laptop for my daughter to take to college next year.

Of course I did it online as I am not dumb enough to actually go to a store on Black Friday. I'll leave that to the kooks. :)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I know people who have made this tradition really. I mean, hey, why mock it right? I just pesonally don't find any entertainment in it. I get up early every other day and I'm satisfied not standing in a line. I'd like to make friends, but 5 AM, dark, cold, and tired ... not so much the scene for me to be peppy and fun.

14. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

[​IMG]

It's a beauty.
    I haven't gotten to play it or tune it and my kit cause my dad's working from home, but it sounded wonderful in the store.

15. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I went this year, first time, and we got a TV 32" something.. And I bought gaming chairs for my nephew, they were originally like 100-something and I got them for 30. So I think that was pretty good, it wasn't as bad as people were telling me, everyone told me that people will jump your cart (and possibly you) to get what they want. It was just very crowded. But i usually stay up pretty late anyway so I figured I'd go this year. It was fun, and I got some christmas shopping done so I'm happy.

16. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I got up this morning with the intent to only go to Sam's Club and have a muffin and get a set of the Sony Noise Canceling Headphones. Ended up deciding to go to WalMart and bought a couple of 2GB SD Cards (the girlfriend needed one for her digital camera and I have a thumb drive that I can stick SD cards into and I needed one for personal stuff at work) at $7 a piece. I could have gotten them cheaper online but I was there and got them. Also got Borat for $2, a pretty good bargin. Had to get some batteries, and WalMart was running a pretty good deal on Duracell Batteries. Stopped by Target since it is on the way back to the girlfriends place and looked around, just got a couple of DVDs (Juno for the girlfriend and a Tripe Feature DVD for me with Something about Mary, Shallow Hal and The Girl Next Door). Will go to Best Buy this afternoon since each year they always have a ton of DVDs left over after the sale is over that they are trying to get rid of and the Girlfriend wants to see what they have since she didn't get up with me this morning.

This is only my second Black Friday, I did it last year for the first time. I am a shop-a-holic so it isn't healthy for me or my wallet but I enjoy it.

I actually didn't go nuts this year like last year because I left the big bills at home and didn't get out any plastic.

17. FireEater macrumors member

I love that movie Juno. Even though it is a chic flick.

18. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I've never been out on Black Friday. I was hoping to have a shot at Amazon's $200 ps3 +littlebigplanet and other things deal, but I didn't get "randomly selected". Oh well.

19. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I bought all these from the comfort of my couch:

• purple iPod Nano 16GB for my mother-in-law
    • NCAA Football '09 for PS3 for myself
    • the first season of My Name Is Earl for my dad

We're decorating our Christmas tree right now instead of being out in the traffic.

21. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I bought an EyeTV Hybrid for $51 off from the Canadian online Apple Store.

To think I just about bought it on Monday for regular price :).

22. 2056 macrumors 6502

Wal-Mart:

-xbox 360 guitar hero bundle for nephews
    -blu ray player for dad
    -various DVDS

and I also purchased some items for myself since I couldn't resist the great deals:
    -The Office Season 2 & 3
    -Seinfeld Season 5
    -FM Transmitter and charger for the ipod

23. nfl46 macrumors 604

I didn't buy anything. I don't have the money to afford anything right now.

24. BlackSnow macrumors regular

BlackSnow

25. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

BluRay Player and a couple of movies... Mom's going to be pissed, oh well!