Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
If this was done on the white it will look nice, however looking at the new whir/silver edges on a 100% black phone it looks awful. Fashion disaster :s if there was a way of putting the black colour back to the new sand down silver edge that would look better

I agree. I have brainstormed ideas to refurbish the edges back to their original look and I can't think of anything. It's kind of sad that the best option is to sand it but I does look nice that way

Mike J

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
i'm a bit confused. did he wipe away the rest of the anodizing/paint? that looks pretty cool though.

edit: just watched the tutorial he posted!

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
i'm a bit confused. did he wipe away the rest of the anodizing/paint? that looks pretty cool though.

edit: just watched the tutorial he posted!

Yeah he put an annotation to a how to video which shows he used 1500 grit sand paper to do it

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Instead of going through all that trouble of trying to polish it, just by bumper case of some kind or a regular case to cover it up. Those of you who always have to carry your phone naked or without a case, this is what you're going to get. These bumpers from spigen.com are very well made and low profile, check it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 135

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Instead of going through all that trouble of trying to polish it, just by bumper case of some kind or a regular case to cover it up. Those of you who always have to carry your phone naked or without a case, this is what you're going to get. These bumpers from spigen.com are very well made and low profile, check it out.

I could polish and get a bumper. :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
More proof the anodizing is abysmal. It should not come off that easy whatsoever. Proper anodizing is very hard to remove.

You've summed it up nicely. With Apple's highest priority eeking out every penny of profit, the quality & thickness of the coating is sure to be barely adequate.

Apple has no incentive to make it last longer than about 24 months. During which visible wear & tear is something they're bound to call acceptable.

I wouldn't polish it since it's nearly impossible to do so without removing material even if only using a chemical cleaner or polish.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Aesthetically these are good looking. However what I've found upon trying any of the bumpers is greater width, with nothing covering the back, gives the phone an odd uncomfortable feel while holding it.

Once I put in a case with a flat back from edge to edge, besides the enhanced protection, it's far more comfortable. Yet unfortunately it defeats the natural style of the phone, and hence the problem with this form factor now three years in a row.

It's time for Apple to unshackle J. Ive & allow him to do what he does best. Somehow. Just cannot believe it was his choice to recycle the same old look three years in a row.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
You've summed it up nicely. With Apple's highest priority eeking out every penny of profit, the quality & thickness of the coating is sure to be barely adequate.

Apple has no incentive to make it last longer than about 24 months. During which visible wear & tear is something they're bound to call acceptable.

I wouldn't polish it since it's nearly impossible to do so without removing material even if only using a chemical cleaner or polish.

Really they have no incentive to have it last longer than a year. They want you to buy the newest version every year. This is why you can't remove the battery (at least thats what they want you to believe. Batteries don't last more than a year or two before the life degrades. That way you have no choice but to buy a new one.

----------

Aesthetically these are good looking. However what I've found upon trying any of the bumpers is greater width, with nothing covering the back, gives the phone an odd uncomfortable feel while holding it.

Once I put in a case with a flat back from edge to edge, besides the enhanced protection, it's far more comfortable. Yet unfortunately it defeats the natural style of the phone, and hence the problem with this form factor now three years in a row.

It's time for Apple to unshackle J. Ive & allow him to do what he does best. Somehow. Just cannot believe it was his choice to recycle the same old look three years in a row.

I agree. Bumper cases feel funny and because of the way they fit often times they scuff the edges anyways. Even the iPhone 4 and 4S's would get blemish marks if they were left in a bumper case too long. I think it's time to take longevity into account when creating the iPhone.

I want to see a water, scratch and shatter resistant iPhone. It could easily be done and with how much Apple makes on each phone. CNET.com estimates it costs 167.50 for Apple to make one iPhone and I hear they sell it to retailers only leaving about a $20 profit margin for the retailers to make, so it would be feasible to use better materials and manufacturing techniques.

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
If this was done on the white it will look nice, however looking at the new whir/silver edges on a 100% black phone it looks awful. Fashion disaster :s if there was a way of putting the black colour back to the new sand down silver edge that would look better

Btw, every other black iPhone ever made had had some sort of silver bezel. I don't think it looks like a fasion disaster cause black and silver go beautifully together. It's just not mirdered out like the iPhone 5 but if the edges are going to wear out and look blotchy and ghetto anyway.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Here is another one, the phone looks so sleek and all black from this angle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 279

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Again, is it worth voiding your warranty in order to have the edge consistent? Use a sharpie for now.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
OP how exactly were you using your iphone that there was that much wear on the edges after a month? Just wondering if it was due to excessive use or just daily in and out of pockets etc. currently using a case on mine but want to go bare every once in awhile.

Three words. Defective anodizing coating.

Seems like a lot of people cannot grasp the concept that a batch of iPhone 5 are shipping with defective anodizing coating, yet they readily believe it when it comes to defective batteries, home buttons, anything else that can go wrong, etc.

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
You phone looks old, here is how my iPhone looks like, so beautiful. I use olloclip macro lens for 4s to take this

That does look very nice. What kinda camera did you shoot it on?

----------

Here is another one, the phone looks so sleek and all black from this angle

Yeah that does look sweet. I really do love the look of the black/slate.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
ehhhh I think I'd rather my phone look like an old stolen 9mm instead....:p

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know what people are doing to their phone...mine is still perfect after about a month with no covering or sleeve. Do you hold it in your pocket with keys?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I don't know what people are doing to their phone...mine is still perfect after about a month with no covering or sleeve. Do you hold it in your pocket with keys?

No, are you not reading the posts? Defective coating. It's not abuse by the customer in most cases. :mad:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Highly doubtful.

So you're accusing people of lying when they say the black is rubbing off like crazy even with normal wiping while babying it. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

I don't get why people readily believe defective batteries, home buttons, etc. but they refuse to believe there's such a thing as defective anodizing coating.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.