Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2011
I'd like to oil my black leather loop to make it look permanently darker and shinier.

any leather product suggestions?

thanks!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The leather is so "processed" that most products will just sit on the surface. The effect will be short lasting. If it were still "real" leather then my perspiration and washing would have had a visual effect and it has had none on my brown loop.

They may call it leather but after all the processing, it does not have any of the characteristics of it. Still my favorite band for sure as it has the ability to change size quickly.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2011
The leather is so "processed" that most products will just sit on the surface. The effect will be short lasting. If it were still "real" leather then my perspiration and washing would have had a visual effect and it has had none on my brown loop.

They may call it leather but after all the processing, it does not have any of the characteristics of it. Still my favorite band for sure as it has the ability to change size quickly.

yeah i love it too, for the ability to change its size and its versatility. it also looks really nice. except i wish it was a bit darker/shinier.

Here's a thread to read about conditioning your "leather". https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leather-loop-is-perfect-after-applying-oil.1889838/
I conditioned mine the 1st day I got it and do it every so often when it feels "dried" out. It may be a mind trick, but it feels softer and smells nice. I used automotive "Voodoo" conditioner, because that's what I had laying around. Any leather conditioner will help.

I read through that thread, there are so many different suggestions, most people just using whatever they have laying around! Maybe i should just soak my leather loop in olive oil over night. haha

Neatsfoot oil.

why do you recommend this? seems like a decent product. Thanks!

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I read through that thread, there are so many different suggestions, most people just using whatever they have laying around! Maybe i should just soak my leather loop in olive oil over night. haha
I believe you read it correctly. And that's the overall point of the thread. Any decent conditioner MADE for leather will work on leather bands. You can buy and expensive solution or a cheap one, but they should all improve the band material. I personally used an automotive conditioner and it works fine, because my car seats are, you guessed it, leather!

P.S. I didn't know olive oil was approved for leather. Let us know how that works

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Most of today's leather car seats are pretty well sealed and you can use about what you want. If it makes one feel better lube that band up. It does make it a little darker and maybe a little more shiney. Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.