Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarcarr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I've been looking for Black MacBook these last couple of weeks, I don't wanna go for the current MacBook Pro yet but my PowerBook just can't get the job done anymore. I use Logic Pro and CS4 quite a bit and it really bogs down my maxed 1.5Ghz PB. I can't get much advice from my wife since she only uses hers for the internet so I thought I'd try here.
The following is the post on craigslist.

The item for sale is a Black Macbook with original box, instructions, and install disks. The entire list is below:

- Black Macbook
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
4Gb 667Mhz RAM(This model will only recognize 3Gb)
160GB HD 5400RPM(This can be easily upgraded on the Macbook)
A little less than 2 years left of AppleCare(can be transferred to you)
Excellent Condition and screen has minimal use with no dead pixels.

- Original Charger with extension cord.
- Original Instructions, Apple Stickers, etc.
- Original Install Disks(10.4) and iLife 08
- Upgrade disk to Leopard(10.5)
- Original Box and packing sleeve
- Marware bag specifically designed for the Macbook.

This deal will also come with the install disk and box for iLife 09. This is the family pack so it can be installed on up to 5 computers.

If you are interested, please give me a call. I will not respond to e-mail. I am not interested in trades, only cash.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for looking.

bsolomonny

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2007
Taiwan
Be sure to check the warranty status. You can do that online before you even meet the guy. Just ask for the serial number.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
It's a decent deal, I sold my 2.4 GHz for $1,000. You could probably find a 2.4 for $750, I know there are a bunch for that price in my area on clist. If it looks good, buy it.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
It's a good deal but it's not amazing, you'll likely find more like it so don't be too overeager to get this one (and potentially get scammed or something)

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
macbook

Yeah make sure your not sending your money to the ukraine or something like that.
Many laptop scams are on craigslist.

bjorn989

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I would say the Applecare would be a little over 1 year seeing as this model was released in mid 2007 and updated shortly afterwards.

I don't know about this one, personally I would go for the new Macbook Pro 13" as a Powerbook g4 replacement. It is the model that will most resemble your old computer when it was brand new. I think you will find that the model of macbook you are describing will outdate rather quickly, especially when Snow Leopard comes out because it relies on the slower intel graphics that were in the first macbooks.

However, if you have your heart set on a black macbook, i suppose this is the best you will probably get for the price. Just be wary of craigslist...

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
Don't know if you are a student or know any students but if you bought a new whitebook or low end mbp plus the free ipod if you sold that ipod you would be looking at 949 for the wb and if you sold the touch for 200 thats 750.....

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
Seems like a decent deal. It's not the best I've seen though. On my local Craigslist, I've found [legit] Macbooks listed anywhere from $600 to $1000. You can double check the price at Mac2Sell. Enter the stats of the machine, and the site will give you an estimate of a fair selling/asking price.

I would make a point to:

1. Ask for pictures. Excellent condition is relative...I always insist on pictures of the actual item.

2. Ask for proof of the AppleCare.

3. Ask for proof of the stats listed (RAM, hard drive, etc). If possible, get a screenshot of the "About This Mac" and System Profiler information.

4. Meet in person and test it out for 20-30 minutes. If the seller won't let you try it out and double check the machine yourself for 20-30 minutes, beware. Something's up.

5. Ask if the seller can install iStat Pro so you can see the health of the battery. See how many cycles are left, and so on.

6. If you do purchase it, make sure you get the machine you tried out. There are some horror stories of how a scammer let a buyer test out a computer, and then offered to "pack it up" and gave the buyer instead a rock or completely broken machine or something like that.

7. Also if you purchase it, just to be safe, get a receipt from the previous owner saying that you have legally purchased the computer. Have the receipt list the serial number of the computer, the price you're buying at, and a signature if possible. This will protect you if the person ends up being sketchy and tries to say later that you stole the computer...or something crazy like that.

But other than that, seems legit to me. Original box and install disks lead me to believe that the Mac isn't stolen. The price also is high enough to reasonably think it's a legit offer.

Good luck. :)

I got my iBook on Craigslist, and it went fine.

aarcarr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, I need to verify the Apple Care. I looked on everymac.com and noticed the discontinue date was in '07, so its probably closer to a year and a half of Apple Care left. He sent me a few screen shots, and all the hardware is correct and matches up in his system profiler. The cycle count on the battery is 132. I've always wanted a black MacBook but couldn't afford one back when. :(
I've done a few craigslist transactions and haven't had a problem yet and I like that he kept everything with it but his price does seem a bit much. I think I'm leaning to keep saving and go for the 15" MBP.

By the way, thanks for all the helpful replies! :)

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Yeah, I need to verify the Apple Care. I looked on everymac.com and noticed the discontinue date was in '07, so its probably closer to a year and a half of Apple Care left. He sent me a few screen shots, and all the hardware is correct and matches up in his system profiler. The cycle count on the battery is 132. I've always wanted a black MacBook but couldn't afford one back when. :(
I've done a few craigslist transactions and haven't had a problem yet and I like that he kept everything with it but his price does seem a bit much. I think I'm leaning to keep saving and go for the 15" MBP.

By the way, thanks for all the helpful replies! :)

Do you really need the 'black' color? :D
You can get the almost recent white mb REFURB for $750+tax.
Much better graphics for same price. And cheap to upgrade the ram.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Compare it with a refurbished white MacBook, both specs and price. And a refurbished MacBook will have one year warranty instead of 18 months Apple Care left, will be brandnew, new cables and battery (they don't last forever).

Ok, if you _want_ a _black_ MacBook and nothing else, used ones are your only choice.

aarcarr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I don't need a black one, but I've wanted one since they came out. I love how they look, but I don't think it would benefit me very much to buy a 2 year old computer. Unless I come a across a 2.4Ghz! Im lookin at the refurbs now. I forgot how hard it is to decide on these things :eek:

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
I don't need a black one, but I've wanted one since they came out. I love how they look, but I don't think it would benefit me very much to buy a 2 year old computer. Unless I come a across a 2.4Ghz! Im lookin at the refurbs now. I forgot how hard it is to decide on these things :eek:

Apple does sell refurbished Blackbooks 2.4GHz on their website so you can look there.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
i wouldnt pay more than 650 for it. Go look on ebay. they are very cheap now. They dont hold values very well now aday.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I can't trust craiglist. My uncle worked for a guy who bought about 5 iBooks for 400 each a month after an update had come out. He gave one to all of the employees he managed. The next day the employees asked him if he was playing a trick on them. The boxes were filled with rocks.

The moral of the story: meet in a public place like a cafe. Always check the contens twice and don't let him switch the boxes. Always be careful on craigslist. Always

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.