Black Macbook Vs Dell XPS M1330

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Winter Charm, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

OK, school is about to start and i am thinking about getting a new laptop (i dont have to have one this year but would like to - my current windows machine is a huge piece of ****. so for that reason, i would like your opinion on these 2 small, and portable laptops -- they both have 13.3" screens and the dell has an AVERAGE (it slopes from 1.3" to like .7") thinness of 1" and the blackbook also is 1.08" thick.

i went thru and configured each as follows:

Blackbook:
    13.3" Glossy
    250GB 5400RPM HD
    2.4Ghz C2Duo
    CD & +/- DVD Burner [slot load]
    Intel GMA X3100
    5lbs
    4GB RAM
    USB 2.0 and bluetooth (2 usb ports)
    $1786 (w/o educational discount)

Dell XPS 1330:
    13.3" High Def screen
    250GB 5400RPM HD
    2.4Ghz C2Duo
    CD & +/- DVD Burner [slot load]
    Intel GMA X3100 [OR] Nvidia geforce 8400M GS 128MB
    Fingerprint scanner
    5lbs
    3GB RAM
    USB 2.0 and Bluetooth (2 usb ports)
    $1508 (w/o educational discount)

- so as you can see, the systems are about the same-- the only thing is i like the blacbook's keyboard better -- the one thing that is bothering me is that people are saying that the macbooks have problems with cracked casing.
    if they made the blacbook all aluminum (black aluminum so it had the finish of the MBP but in a sleek black) i would buy it right then and there.... and if they keep the keyboard the way it is and add backlit keys it would become the machine of my dreams... everything else fits my needs... maybe a better graphics card -- but i only do casusal gaming. - the dell looks nice and has a brushed aluminum finish - it is the same size and has 2 USB ports - same as the blacbook. it does lack a firewire 400 port. but that's ok. i dont use firewire.

One other thing is that i would LOVE to have the felxibilty and power of OSX and then thru bootcamp still be able to play games that i like on windows vista - but i would love to use a 64Bit version of vista and be able to take advantage of 4GB of RAM. - the thing is right now i DONT want to have a laptop that will crack its casing in about a year or so. so please tell me what you think -- i know that since this is a mac forum the opiniions MIGHT be biased... but i posted this exact thread on a dell forum... so that should take care of that... THANKS:D - but still try to give me fair answers ok?? ;)

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Definitely the Macbook Here are the reasons:

even if you play video games on the dell, its not much of a difference with that low end graphics card

don't buy the extra 2 gig ram from the apple store, buy it off from a 3rd party, you'll seroiusly save $150 from that.

to stop case cracking, just don't slam the lid so hard. even if you do, you start with a year warranty

uh, OS X? duh?

make sure you get applecare after the year warranty, it'll save you.

3. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

i can really save $150 if i buy ram of 3rd party??? WOW thanks for the tip!!!

well.. the other thing is does anyone know when 64 bit windows vista support will come out in bootcamp for the ordinary macbooks (the hardware is all there since OSX is a 64 bit system) and as it is the mac pro and the MBP already have special drivers that run w/ windows vista 64 bit but i cant afford either- so i am hoping i can get a 64 bit system w/ my blackbook. also, is it worth waiting until snow leopard comes out??

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, apple rapes you on the ram....

I would also suggest getting the white macbook and upgrading the HDD (third party) for cheaper... (unless you're sold on the black case)

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

While i cant talk about that particular dell i did used to have a HP laptop. Now the machine itself was very well put together and also great looking. It had a glossy finish to the top of it and was sturdy and looked like it was built to last. Why am i mentioning this? Well because the downside was vista was installed on it.

While i am not an expert on computers like many people on here i do use them everyday, and the amount of times that operating system had me screaming and shouting while i was just using it for basic functions that in the end i ditched it and bought my imac. Now that dell is certainly more powerful than my HP was and im not sure how much vista has improved since i switched in january. But if it was me i would choose the macbook over any machine with vista on it.

6. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i'm not sure when macbooks will be able to use 64 bits sorry. but i would suggest 32 bit would be more convenient. hell i would use xp instead of vista. as for the snow leopard, its going to be a while until its released. i believe apple releases new OS every 2 years? its only been a year so.

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I concur with the other posters. Definitely go with the Macbook. Get your RAM 3rd party and get Applecare!!!!

8. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I agree with the others. In the end the MB has OS X, which is worth what you pay for the MB. The DELL will have Vista, and we all know that story.

Get the MB and don't look back.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Not trying to get into another "buy now or wait" discussion, but the MacBooks are heavily rumored to be updated with aluminum case, 1067 MHz FSB, better integrated GPU, etc. next month. The update would give you better value for money.

Also, do you really want the black laptop? The white version is $100 less for the same specs.

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I would go with the BlackBook. No one knows when/if Apple will release x64 bootcamp drivers. You could probably find them on the internet though (pain in the a$$). The difference in the graphics cards is marginal, you really won't notice any difference. As long as you aren't trying to Crysis or FS X you should be fine. If you can wait till early September, you should, because it is likely that Apple will introduce new Montevina (Centrino 2) MacBooks, that might be aluminum.

EDIT: Apple really does rape you on RAM, and IMO on the HDD to. I get my RAM from Small Dog, but I've also heard good things about OWC, and OWZ.

Don

11. jaytv111 macrumors regular

honestly the Dell is a good deal, I know because I have the same one. If you get either, make sure you get at least 3 years of warranty coverage. As for Vista, it's much better now, in fact, I think it works flawlessly in day to day use. Also keep in mind the Dell comes with some niceties such as a case, a good pair of headphones, and a leather CD case. The thing is, I would probably get a 7200 RPM hard drive for better performance, that's what I have, and the Intel graphics because you'll have a lower chance of failure (and better battery life). The Dell has another advantage: battery options. Apple doesn't have any other size battery than 6 cells, but with Dell you can get 9 cells, that to me is an advantage.
    Though the Macbook is a good machine, it's overpriced and you get relatively few features. Although my honest opinion is to wait awhile, if you can. If new Macbooks are around the corner they'll be worth it. Also, I would consider the Latitude E4300. It's almost as light as a Macbook Air but still has an optical drive.

12. mosx macrumors 65816

What are you talking about? In a real world situation (not the handful of benchmarks out there performed by Apple fansites), the GMA X3100 performs WORSE than the GMA 950. I have an HP with the GeForce 8400M GS in it paired with a 2GHz C2D. I have a MacBook with the GMA 950 paired with a 2.16GHz C2D. The difference between the two is night and day. The GMA 950 can barely choke out 30fps in HL2 at low settings at 800x600. It can barely choke out 30fps at 800x600 medium settings in UT2k4. The GeForce 8400M GS can push both at 1280x800 highest settings 60fps.

The GMA 950 can barely choke out frames in old games like HL2. The X3100 is the same. Both GPUs can play new games at sub-20fps at the absolute bare minimum settings. The GeForce 8400M GS can play GRID at medium settings at 800x600, it can play UT3 at medium at 800x600, it can play CoD4 at high settings with 2x FSAA at 800x600.

The GeForce 8400M GS also has lower CPU use when playing blu-ray discs than the upcoming X4500. Something the X3100 can't do at all.

The only way to describe how bad the X3100 is... is well, using words that aren't allowed on a family friendly forum such as this.

If the OP wants to play games then the MacBook isn't a consideration at all.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There's one thing you should be aware of apart from what you can readily see in terms of specs, and that's the battery life. The X3100 M1330 has about the same runtime as the Macbook. However, the 8400M M1330 has only a 3-hour runtime. The M1330 with the standard battery is also noticeably lighter than the Blackbook.

14. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i'm pretty sure casual gaming doesn't mean he's going to be playing a game that requires such a 'big' difference in video cards. i play wc3 tft on my macbook just fine. my statement wasn't focused on convincing him that the X3100 is the same as 8400 GS. it simply is a better choice for him like the person above said. he requires mobility which is why he chose two 13.3", a pound lighter and batter lasts longer and the graphics won't hurt him in gaming.

15. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

YES!!!! this is the first time i have heard of what you say "heavily rumored to become aluminum cased!!!!" this would be, as i stated the turning point for me!! i am SOOOOOOOOO GOING WITH THE MACBOOK WHEN THEY UPDATE IT -- i know its not fixed or garunteed, but it will be so worth the wait - as my current laptop - even though its crappy windows based... still works so im not in a hurry to buy... and to answer your second question - i LOVE the black look so yes i will go with it =D thanks sooooo much -- macrumors members -- i mean guess what replies i got from the dell forum?? "this dell is crap and has overheating issues" so for that reason i am soooooo going w/ the blackbook :D:):rolleyes:;):cool: thanks soooo much guyz (and girlz)

im new to mac but im trusting all the good things people have said about them and im sure i wont be disappointed. and i am NEVER going back to a windows based pc :apple:

PS: also, if they come out with aluminum casing, then cracking case will not be an issue - so i dont have to worry about that... and all that put aside, i really really want a macbook black - after all itravel a lot and for that reason, i would love to have the magsafe airline adapter as well :D so really i just want to say that i am waiting for the new update-- and POSSIBLY might wait for SnowLeopard. But most likely not - i just would love the aluminum casing.

16. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i don't know if you should count on a BLACK aluminum macbook. its highly likely that its going to be like all the other macs, just a silver aluminum.

17. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well, im still hopeful-- and hey silver isnttoo bad -- i mean it wont hurt to pray for black aluminum LOL - and so for that reason, if it comes out like that its awesome - and if not -- its still aluminum - more durable aand better than the polycarbonate *coughs* plastic *coughs* casing right now... then im still buying it =D but really thanks for all the help you have given me!!!

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

How about...
    Silver with black accents (like the iMac) is my best bet. I think we may see a black display border, as well as maybe a swath of black on the bottom or something.

All the rumors from here to Saturn and back point to aluminum cases for the upcoming MacBook.

19. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Hahaha...

OP: Don't forget, if you're a (college) student you can get a free ipod touch if you buy a current blackbook.

20. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

yeah, i saw apple's education discounts -- it lowers the price on the macbooks as well doesnt it?? - and im probly going to buy next year cuz that's when ill be needing it - when my decrepit windows machine dies and goes to the netherworld... (i would use the other 4 letter word but im sure its not allowd on this forum) :)

and yes, i do plan to get the educational discount - and maybe by next year they will release the second generation of the iPod Touch. :D

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

So what you are saying is buy the M1330 with the X3100? I'd agree with one caveat. The keyboard can be hit or miss on the M1330 in that there have been fairly widely reported incidents of 'wavy' keyboards, and one of mine had that until I sent it back and it was fixed. I'd also get the extended service for it down the line - I got all of mine with the service and accidental damage insurance, and when I dropped one (cracking the screen and denting a small part of the chassis) it was repaired the next day, on-site. The service - as with the Dell Latitude and Precision line - made Applecare look like the joke that it is.

FYI the M1330 is all-magnesium outside.

22. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

I like the M1330. It's a good computer and Vista is not that bad. At least I have not had issues with it anyways. I miss mac OSX though, thats the big reason you should want a mac because at this price point for the 1330 you get a lot of nifty features such as LED Screen, Express card slot, pc card reader, remote control, finger print reader. Not sure if you have use for all of those but my favorite feature on this computer is the LED screen. All of this along with 3gb ram, 2.2 ghz for 1,300. not a bad price.

23. mosx macrumors 65816

Who cares about a "big difference" being needed?

Considering the price you pay for either unit, you should get the most for your money.

When it comes to gaming, graphics in general, and video playback (thanks to DXVA, a technology OS X has nothing like), you get real world 5x or better performance with the GeForce compared to the X3100/X4500/GMA 950.

When I spend over $1,000 on a computer, I better get the best performance for my money. My $1406 MacBook doesn't perform anywhere near as good as my $950 HP does when it comes to video and graphics related tasks.

24. zango macrumors member

get the macbook, dell is ******, and upgrade the ram yourself for under $80 and 5 minutes.

25. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

maybe, they will do "black aluminum" and if they dont, and just do aluminum w/ black trim then i would go with the normal aluminum book because its the same and i am NOT paying $100 more for black TRIMMING :mad:

on the other hand, if they take their aluminum and paint it black, it will become a supershiny and awesome look and ill buy the black for $100 more-- cuz the stylish looks are soooo worth it.:D

also, i hope that when they switch to the aluminum casing, they do NOT change the layout of the optical drive (in the MBP it's in the front and i dont like that) - i like it fine where it is.... and also, i hope they do not change the keyboard design (the way the keys are separated looks great and i want it to stay that way (the MBP has a keyboard that i dont particularly like) - but i WOULD like for them to add backlighting capabilities. [it would be nice to have the cool keyboard and backlighting]:apple: