Black screen after installing 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-002

Oculus Mentis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
UK
Hi, I have a 2018 Mac Mini running on Mojave 10.14.6 and using an Apple 30” Cinema Display via a DVI to mini display port to USBc adapter that has worked fine since I bought the mini in October 2018.

This morning I got a black screen after installing Mojave 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-002. I tried to power off and on again the mini via the power button but no joy. The only feedback I get is the front panel led that is on. When the mini powers up I no longer get the chime but this was also happening before this update.

Has anyone had similar issueS? I’m working from home during this Coronavirus outbreak and truly stuck with another sloppy and poorly tested update from Apple...

Last edited:

damascenorafael

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2018 15". I was running macOS Catalina and updated to version 10.15.4.
I have the same problem, black screen (no signal to be on), no sound when connecting the charger, no signal pressing the power button. Over the phone, I tried the procedures to reset SMC and NVRAM, but without success.

Any news in your case?

marco1119

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
Hello there y'all. In my case I did not even upgraded macOS and I'm still running Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032). I installed the security updates Apple released yesterday and now before I login i get a 100% backlit keyboard and the touch bar is completely shut down and unresponsive. This only happens if file vault is active. Similar issues happened in the past (see https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/bahuvx and https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/keyboard-backlight-on-boot-up-file-vault-and-t2.2158391/). But when I contacted the support no one could tell me anything about it or find the reason why this happens. I just know it was not like this before.

As to Catalina Idk but I am quite sure I have issues with both my i9 processor and the T2 security chip in my MBP 2018. In fact I have an old MB air 2013 and the new updates run smoothly on it (possibly because there are less functionalities available and Apple can get that together). Hope we will start a influencing thread and push Apple to go back to the SW simplicity and consistency we all love...I feel more comfortable using Arch linux lately after I put it aside to speed up some parts of my work).

Hope you are all doing great and have a good one.

Take care,
M

Last edited:

wayne_rowley

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
Bournemouth, UK
Had exactly the same issue today. Fixed by resetting the SMC.

Power off. Remove power cord from the Mac for 15 seconds. Plug it back in and wait 5 seconds. Then turn it on.

That got it back for me.

Wayne

damascenorafael

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
I figure out what happened to my MacBook (after a week without it).

The last update of macOS Catalina bricked the T2 chip firmware.

I had to follow the procedures at:

Same problem with another update:

Related link: http://logiwiki.shinycomputers.com/index.php/DFU_mode_restore

mouseuser

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
Hi, I have a 2018 Mac Mini running on Mojave 10.14.6 and using an Apple 30” Cinema Display via a DVI to mini display port to USBc adapter that has worked fine since I bought the mini in October 2018.

This morning I got a black screen after installing Mojave 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-002. I tried to power off and on again the mini via the power button but no joy. The only feedback I get is the front panel led that is on. When the mini powers up I no longer get the chime but this was also happening before this update.

Has anyone had similar issueS? I’m working from home during this Coronavirus outbreak and truly stuck with another sloppy and poorly tested update from Apple...

Yes me too same thing happened to me. Not the display since I have two and both are doing this!