Black SS Real Life Pics?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lupend88, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Which Stainless Steel Color?

1. Classic Stainless Steel

43 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Black Stainless Steel

40 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

Hi everyone,

I seem to be completely torn between SS and Black SS. I think the SS will have better bands matching, but bands aside, Black SS looks better on it's own. If anyone has good "real life" pics (not professionally computer generated) please post them here and I will update my original post. Thanks!

Additionally, I've added a poll. Which Stainless Steel color do you prefer?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I like both but Space Black won't go well with my platinum and 18K gold wedding band so I'm going with standard SS.

3. al256, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

It gives me significant pause when considering which model I want. I want to have multiple bands but the black SS doesn't work with many.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, I can understand that. Perhaps you might want to preorder both and return the one you don't want.

7. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Yeah this is something I want to see in person too.

Space Gray on Apple's site looks almost dirty on the iPhone. In person though it's a very subtle difference between Space Gray and Silver.

The Space Black looks great here [​IMG]

8. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I have a very old Blackish Titanium band with a Seiko, and it looks well and worn, I also have a newer SS plain Seiko, which kinda looks tacky

I think I’ll go for the Black SS but should really wait and see in the flesh before deciding

9. Dave245 macrumors 601

10. Mikes1 macrumors member

Mikes1

Great picture I beleive I'm now sold on the space black. I'm pleasantly surprised how thick the bracelet is :cool:

11. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

after seeing how much the SS watch and the link strap mash, i may just go for aluminum with a link strap, looks like it might go better.

12. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Aren't you concerned about galvanic corrosion where the aluminum and SS connect, especially in conjunction with chlorides from sweating/working out?

13. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Please explain, since I have no clue what you mean.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Galvanic corrosion (also known as electrochemical corrosion). Aluminum and steel together is supposed to be a big no-no.

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This image has convinced me that I HAVE to have the Space Black model.

Interesting

16. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Have we heard if all of the SS faces will have the same variety in faces?

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I expect the aluminum will be be anodized, so it won't be pure aluminum exposed to the stainless steel. Also, since stainless steel doesn't have the same corrosive properties are regular steel, which has more iron in it, then I doubt this would be such a big issue.

18. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

See, now I'm torn. I was always sold on the SS, but the grey looks great in those photos...

19. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

20. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I gotta say, of all the Watches, regardless of price or anything else (fear of scratches), I like the Black SS with BSS links. God that's beautiful. If it's not too much, I'll get that, plus a black plastic band to use for the rough and tumble times. :)

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point so maybe it won't be an issue. What if the anodization wears away from repeatedly sliding the hinges in and out? Will it then become a problem?

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

23. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

It's a combination of how dark it is and how well other bands would look with it. But, the bands pushed me over.

24. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Personally I don't get the point of Black SS. I love the shiny SS look. I miss my SS Rolex (that I sold back to the dealer at a profit after wearing 7 years) and replaced it with a SS Seiko. SS watches look classy. I feel that if you love the Black SS and with the matching band then go with it. It is a great look like that. BUT, I would not want to mix that with any other band.

I am totally the opposite if I have to go with the Sport model. Basic aluminum looks cheap to me so in that case I would get the Space Grey.

I am crossing my fingers that the regular SS is not over $599 (and expect it to be $499). I'll start that with the Black Sports strap and hope to see the Milanese Loop and SS Bracelet when I am in Berlin and Paris in May to pick out my 'dressy' strap versus the one for the gym. I am only in cities with Apple stores about twice a year and won't pick up those straps until I get to touch it.

BTW: I can afford the Gold Edition. However, if I was willing to spend that much on a watch I would be wearing a SS Rolex with shiny Green face right now. :cool:

25. troop231 macrumors 603

Are we talking about the Milgauss by any chance? :D

[​IMG]