Black vs White: Which one's better? (13 inch macbook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ioad, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ioad macrumors newbie

Which is better? Another question is: Does the white one usually turn yellow after a while?

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

From what i've seen when looking for a macbook in the used market, the whites do better with time.

also, remember that erasers/clear nail polish can be used to make it look like new... you can't do this w/ the black.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

the black is made with a different type of plastic. it won't show finger prints and smudges as much as the white. the black also comes with a larger hd. other than that there is nothing different between the two. ive had my whitebook for 7+ months and there is no discoloration. i honestly don't find it necessary to spend the extra money for the black color and the larger hd but some people do like the nice black color.

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Look to the cookie, Elaine. Look to the cookie.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my white MB does have a problem with discoloration. I eventually covered it with a marware protector, but I'd prefer the black.

6. ioad thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm afraid of...

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

Remember you can always BTO the white with the same HD.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

the key is to get a little bit of both in one bite.

9. lukeiphone macrumors newbie

Helppp!

ok so for christmas i wanted a black macbook. and i saw what my parents got me in there car (not on purpose!). and it was a white one. and my parents didnt know that i saw that it was white and there asking me which one i want for sure a black or a white macbook. so what should i tell them that i REALLY want a black one or just save them the trouble of taking it back and just say the white is fin also. what should i choose?!?:confused:

10. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

I have my Macbook for 1,5 years now and I have no discolouration issues, and I am really bad at cleaning it, I eat and drink while using it etc. So don't think that is really an issue. And I personally think a white computer is much more stylish, black laptops are just more common.

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

if your parents are going to buy you a macbook for Christmas i would be more than happy with anything because you do realize that's a $1000 plus machine and then they won't feel like they screwed up your present

12. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I'm guessing your parents looked at the specs and said "they want $150 to make it black? No way, that's silly."

Did you happen to see a bag full of black Sharpies?
    :D

Editor's Note: I don't mean getting the black one is silly, if you feel the color is worth of course spend your money. But I can't imagine parents buying a present can wrap their head around it.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Both colors look great. Blackbooks are incredibly sexy little machines, but the white Macbooks are quite elegant in their own right. My white iBook has shown no discoloration over the 2 years I've had it, and my dad's white Macbook has shown no discoloration over the year he's had it. Neither color is "better," and you certainly shouldn't try to convince someone to return a white Macbook for the black Macbook if you are receiving it as a gift.

14. Thrawn macrumors member

I personally like the black macbook much more, but I'm gonna get the white one simply because I won't have enough money for the black one.

\

I would say stick with the white. I mean, my parents would never get me a macbook (just because of the lack of money) and considering your parents spent more then $1000 on a gift that they think you would like, I say stick with it. Sometimes the white macbooks grows on you a lot and you end up liking it better.

15. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I am constantly telling people hey, you could get rid of that nasty stain with a mr. clean magic eraser. Great for the palm areas and anything else that has collected dirt on the macbook.

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Be lucky that your parents buy you such things. I would have never had that spent on me when I was a child...

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

You can upgrade the White MacBook so that it has exactly the same specifications (i.e. CPU Speed, Ram, HD Size, Video Card) as the Black MacBook and then the difference in the price is $125 (on the US website). If you are willing to pay $125 for black plastic versus white plastic, then you should go ahead and pay the difference.

I have an older iMac G4 and a new MacBook (white) and I have not had any problems with the white plastic turning yellow.

Personally, I prefer the white color. It's unique and looks pretty cool.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

You don't have stocks in Mr. Clean do you ??? :D

19. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I'm in the market for an MBP, but I know how you feel. When the first generation Blackbooks came out, I really wanted one. Then I learned of the GMA950 and I said NO WAY. Good luck though. I'll be getting my MBP in 3-4 weeks. I know I'm gonna love it.

20. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

the white MB 2GHz and 2.2GHz processer and 80 and 120 hd and the black one has a 2.2GHz processer and 160hd

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

thats what i was trying to get across. im the your same boat

22. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

My ibook G4 is 4 years old and still is very white.

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It's your choice Get what color you like better don't let other people decide.

24. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

While I partially agree with you, lukeiphone is getting this MB as a gift. Demanding that he wants something different than what he's already getting would be kinda rude. I want a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa, but people are always telling me to get something else, usually on the PC side. I don't listen to them at all.

25. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I personally like the look of the white. Mine is a C2D (non SR) and I'm not having any discolouration issues. I think they solved it somehow. I know someone who has the Blackbook and his looks horrible and shiny and greasy and smudgy. White is better (no I''m not being racist) :D